+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: what is an ideal weight distribution ? 50/50 ? 40/60 ? 30/70 ?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Nerfed?
    Nerfed. Weakend. It's a gaming nerd term. To nerf something is to make it less effective. To buff something is to make it more effective.

I can see where it would be ambiguous with nerfing being a circle track term for "punt".

Liked
    434 times

Could you please use nerf or buffed in a sentence?
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Could you please use nerf or buffed in a sentence?
    You're probably full of it, but last year NASA wasn't happy that a 99 SM car without its restrictor was able to win PTE at the runoffs over PTE cars and they elected to nerf the 99 miatas by adding 50lbs to their minimum weight. Meanwhile, in SM for 2012 the 94-97 miatas received a buff of approximately 2 hp in the form of an adjustable fuel regulator.

Liked
    28 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Miata, Corvette and BMW brag about their 50/50.
    *cough* RX7 *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I have my ST2 vette to 50/50 not only front to back but also side to side. I bet more weight to the rear would be a benefit, however I agree that aero forces probably become a dominating factor at speed. Especially for F1 type race cars.
    You're lucky! Most C5/C6 cars get stuck at 52/48 from what I've heard. If you've got 50/50 without crazy rake I think you've hit the magic. Trans and diff coolers? And maybe your placement of the dry sump tank?

Personally I think inside or over the axles and low is the most important. For RWD I'd take it to the back for traction under acceleration and better weight distribution under braking. Honestly I think it's as much driver pref as anything else... just like alignment or spring rates or sway bar or shock settings. If it makes you more comfortable you're going to be faster.

As for 911s, I think they're fast in spite of having to be sprung so stiff as to make the mac-strut front suspension not a suspension rather than the rear engine issue...

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    You're probably full of it, but last year NASA wasn't happy that a 99 SM car without its restrictor was able to win PTE at the runoffs over PTE cars and they elected to nerf the 99 miatas by adding 50lbs to their minimum weight.
    It was 101 pounds actually.
    Last edited by Red_5; 05-03-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post

You're lucky! Most C5/C6 cars get stuck at 52/48 from what I've heard. If you've got 50/50 without crazy rake I think you've hit the magic. Trans and diff coolers? And maybe your placement of the dry sump tank?

Personally I think inside or over the axles and low is the most important. For RWD I'd take it to the back for traction under acceleration and better weight distribution under braking. Honestly I think it's as much driver pref as anything else... just like alignment or spring rates or sway bar or shock settings. If it makes you more comfortable you're going to be faster.

As for 911s, I think they're fast in spite of having to be sprung so stiff as to make the mac-strut front suspension not a suspension rather than the rear engine issue...
    No trans or diff coolers yet. Just some air ducting blowing down on the tranny. The dry sump tank and associated caging is probably most of it, plus I have a big battery relocated from the front to the passenger side rear.

I don't know if I agree with driver preference in this case. Each car should have an ideal weight balance for optimal grip and I think everyone would find that preferable over less grip. I'm equally comfortable in my T1 car and ST2 car, but one of them simply has more cornering and braking grip.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    2241 times

OK, after some thought, wouldn't 50/50 be ideal because it's more stable and balanced during steering inputs, and because weight effectively transfers under braking and acceleration anyway?

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    You're probably full of it, but last year NASA wasn't happy that a 99 SM car without its restrictor was able to win PTE at the runoffs over PTE cars and they elected to nerf the 99 miatas by adding 50lbs to their minimum weight. Meanwhile, in SM for 2012 the 94-97 miatas received a buff of approximately 2 hp in the form of an adjustable fuel regulator.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by psychoazn View Post
    That's amazing. One thing is for certain: that gamer sure is eternally in blizzard's debt if he's been playing since beta. Lucky guy.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    OK, after some thought, wouldn't 50/50 be ideal because it's more stable and balanced during steering inputs, and because weight effectively transfers under braking and acceleration anyway?
    I doubt 50/50 is ever ideal. only thing it is good for is skidpad. where you are on maintenance throttle.
    more rearward bias is needed for acceleration and braking.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    50/50 dynamic load distribution (whether it be front/rear, left/right, whatever) is ideal for a given acceleration amount & direction (assuming non-staggered tires and a perfect AWD system). The problem is that cars accelerate in an infinite number of directions....

So the answer is, everything is a compromise and there is no such thing as perfect. But, for a RWD car, something like ~45/55-40/60 should be the best compromise. This results in ~50/50 under braking and more load on the rears when you're on throttle.

And as Drew will remind us, you can't forget about aero....
    +1

Just as a data point, most Type 111 chassis Lotus cars (Elise/Exige/2-Eleven) have around a 40/60 weight distribution.

Liked
    545 times

I believe F1 cars have actually oscillated in F/R distribution over time with changes in tyres and aero development. In the middle to late 90s cars had a huge rear bias, then it shifted way forward during the height of the Michelin/Bridgestone war, and now it's gone back again with the Pirelli tires (in fact, in 2010 they went with a narrower front tire because the cars were too pointy)... although I am sure the big aero improvements around the front of the car have contributed as well.

Steve

Liked
    38 times

Everything is a compromise. Want grip on acceleration for a rear wheel drive car shift the weight back. Want better utilization of grip during braking shift the weight back. Want better cornering go with 50/50 weight distribution given equal tire contact patches front and rear. This is all ignoring aerodynamic forces of course. As I have said before the 911 chassis works well in racing because of regulations not because of inherent design superiority. Waiting for that Cayman with the GT3 motor (actually the new DFI motor seems pretty good).

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Roughly 40/60 for a RWD front wheel steering car. Then take the center of gravity and put all the mass as close as possible to it, and low for low polar moment of inertia.

Liked
    15 times

48/52, but that is in my go-kart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2