• 4 Post By craZee
  • 2 Post By bellwilliam
  • 2 Post By schrotacular
  • 2 Post By passmenow
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 2 Post By Gian
  • 2 Post By anorexicpoodle
  • 1 Post By Gian

Thread: What happened to my Mustang or I haven't posted in a while so here we go.

Liked
    481 times

Default What happened to my Mustang or I haven't posted in a while so here we go.

This year has been very busy with my parents getting older and having to care for them. But that doesn't stop my mad love for going fast. Last year I thought it was time to take a breark from W2W racing. Move up a class and get in a faster car. So I parked the Rx7 for a while and started playing with my 05 GT Mustang. Ding minor upgrades so as to stay in Greg G's TT class. Mostly just to mess with him, because I know he doesn't really care for Mustangs and beating him in one is good for the soul. Not to mention fun to rub it in...lol.

Well as the rules changed in NASA. My portly under powered GT got bumped up a class because I had to be making to much HP. At the season opener I ran in TT4. Running basically the same times I did last year (a little slower, but it was rainy). I also had to get my car dyno'd, as per the new rules. My Hp numbers were sad. I was hoping for somewhere in the 300's. But was shocked to see under 250 WHP in a 3800lbs car (well under my aloud HP for that class). Took 2nd in my class behind a very fast M3. Here is were things go off my plain a little. Now my plan was to convert the GT from my daily into a Spec Iron car. Being it's a 4.6L. It would fall right in. In comes my competitive ego. I ask who is driving the M3 and wow he kicked my but. Some one said " oh you'll never catch him, he's a paid pro driver. Now if that is true or not doesn't mater.
    Now my minds running HP numbers and suspension mods and how to effectively achieve such upgrades with out breaking the bank. A friend happened to have a blower for a 4.6, So yeah I put it on. Hoping to keep a rain on the HP numbers so as not to but up another class. Long story short. My car now has all the bushings control arms, sway bars, big brakes and a little to much HP for the class I wanted to run. Now I can put weight in or take some out. I also need wings and things. But here is the problem.
    I just found a car built close to what I wanted in the first place. For a great price and in my own town.

So do I sell everything and hope the other car is still available? Or say dam it all and dive in to what I have....OMG this is just to much!!!

For now I will just run what I have this weekend and have fun. Burn up my old sets of tires and Have FUN!

So who's running TT2 at ACS with NASA this weekend?
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    2344 times

I might race this weekend. Sorry, I can't give you advice. I am as afflicted as you are.
    bellwilliam and Gian like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I can't give you advice. I am as afflicted as you are.
    Yeah...are you asking "should I snort coke or shoot heroin?"

Liked
    552 times

Do what I just did, buy what you were going to build and keep what you were building.
    Olitho, bellwilliam, Red_5 and 1 others like this.

Liked
    2531 times

you always need a backup car !!

damn, Trackhq sure gives great racing advice !!
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    38 times

y'all got any of those race cars laying around?
    Last edited by schrotacular; 05-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    Olitho and Blackbird like this.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    99 times

The car that is done would be like buying the parts you are considering at half price, right?

good idea having two similar make race cars so you can share parts between them.

Get's expensive and spares take up more room with 2 or more race cars that share no common parts, rims or tires.
    Olitho and Gian like this.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    2357 times

Unlike everyone else, I'll try to help, Gian.

I would find a way to buy the other car first. Murphy's Law would tell you that if you sell everything in the hope that the other car is still there, it won't be. Then you're out both cars. Of course, you'd still have the RX-7.

Unless, that is, you think the car you would build would be better than the one that's already finished.

Liked
    765 times

I'm only on my second cup of coffee but I'm not sure if the car you have has actually been built or only mentally built it. If a mental build , go buy the other car and sell what you have. Or keep the street car a street car.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    481 times

Quote Originally Posted by schrotacular View Post
    y'all got any of those race cars laying around?
    Sure.. you looking to rent or buy

Liked
    481 times

So what you guys are saying is. Help Oil set his tire pressers to 5 psi before each TT session and build a bigger garage. Boy you guys are a lot of help.
    bellwilliam and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    66 times

NP01 is the new always goto answer. :P
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    NP01 is the new always goto answer. :P
    I keep daydreaming about one.

Liked
    158 times

Well, if/when i go to NASA I'm in TT4 and I'm VERY familiar with the M3 you speak of. Brett is an ace driver and the car is prepped literally to the edge of rules. He beat me pretty soundly at CVR in Feb (though was DQ'd for being underweight one day which speaks to the prep level).

As far as sticking with what you have or buying someone elses mess, there are always three truths when buying someone used project/race car

1: There is a reason they are selling it. Might be life, might be the car, but there is always a reason. Make sure their reason doesn't become yours.

2: For sale racecars get less maintenance. All that stuff thats new on your car, probably still needs doing on this one.

3: Go-fast bits add the same value to a car as used towels add to a house. This is very much in your benefit. Sometimes someone cast off project is a good buy just for the part-out value.

I wouldn't jump to another car just because its closer in build than what you have, but see where it lies on the above 3 questions first. if the guy just had a kid, and its ready to run maybe its a bargain.
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    481 times

It ended up being a slightly frustrating weekend. Still fun none the less. Seem as though the Saleen SC I put on is more for street applications then for track. I gain about 160hp on the dyno bumping me up to 382whp. Also bumping me up to TT2 class. Though I'm well under the 3055 lbs weight (if that is even possible for my 3503 dally driver) limit for my power. I got 1 or 2 hot laps in before it seemed I was losing power. So most of my weekend was trying to get one clean lap in the first few laps.
    Nothing more frustrating then getting stuck behind slower cars a few faster class cars, that got a bad first times, as well as really fast cars with really slow drivers. It was a little humiliating trying to run slow "cooling" laps and not be able to out run the guys in PTE. So now I'm in everyone way! Ok enough wining. We finally got a chance to do a little data logging. Found by my time I got a full lap in. My Air charge temp (should be well below 100 deg.) was up to 170 deg. So ECU is in full safety mode and pulling timing so as not to melt down the motor.
    Tried a few fruitless ideas, cooling the heat exchanger with the windshield washer. Now I also have a few old tires no one seemed to want. So I was on those (245 35 17 tires and should be on 275 or 305s). I corded one on session 2 and that ended my effort. Best I could muster all weekend was a 1:57.038.
    So much for not putting more money in to this thing before I sell it...lol

Liked
    481 times

Power and then no power = frustration
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread