+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you want to know from a DAQ engineer?

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Default What do you want to know from a DAQ engineer?

Hi everyone
    Remember the Gerardo Bonilla interview? You guys helped me come up with questions for him. Thanks for your help on that. If you want to read it again, the link is here: Hi-Kick Racing: Going faster with Gerardo Bonilla: a very anticipated interview!

I have a friend who I met through my FSAE days. I was president of a then defunct, ragtag unsucessful team and he was at Cal Poly SLO, also president. He was a great engineer then and gave me a lot of advice that directly contributed to my team becoming sucessful. He has also led a FSAE Hybrid team to 1st place finish.

Today, He works as a Data Acquisitions engineer. Hes worked for Turner Motorsports (Bimmerworld/gearwrench) and most recently, is DAQ engineer for Black Swan Racing (ALMS LMPC). His name is Justin Jang.

Anyways, I have absolutely no idea what to ask him. I would like to steer clear from too many technical questions but I think it would be okay to ask a couple. I've asked him stuff like "so, on a 10-20hz gps only system, what can you do with it?"

I think I will be focusing on how aspiring engineering students can work in the racing industry, the lifestyle, interaction with drivers, representing the team, etc. And a little bit of technical questions as usual. I would like to get some help on coming up with the questions, so if you have anything you think I should ask please discuss here!
    Last edited by hikickracing; 11-03-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Liked
    2320 times

So when next year comes. New GPS regulation allowing higher accuracy. How does that translate to data logger ? Also does all existing data logger automatically updates with higher resolution ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2216 times

Ask him if it would be better for him to come DAQ crew for me "at the season opening National in January at ACS or the American Heart Association Double National at BRP in May?"

Liked
    165 times

Typically, what are the main data you focus on / study during a race weekend?

How, if at all, does that differ from what you focus on / study during testing?

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Typically, what are the main data you focus on / study during a race weekend?

How, if at all, does that differ from what you focus on / study during testing?

Also, given as much data most systems provide, what data would he suggest a relative noob to data aquisition focus on? And then, as experience is gained, what rank order of importance would he recommend other data be analyzed?
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post

Also, given as much data most systems provide, what data would he suggest a relative noob to data aquisition focus on? And then, as experience is gained, what rank order of importance would he recommend other data be analyzed?
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    6 times

I'd like to know if he uses FFT to analyze frequency response for wheel/suspension load for each corner. If not, what does he recommend.

Thanks!

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

awesome questions. Thanks guys. I don't even know what FFT is
    Usual hikickracing style, I'm going to be really late in submitting these questions but I will get them done!
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

+ Reply to Thread