+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: what do you guys think of new TypeR?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2185 times

To me, this car is millenials that grew up on F&F franchise and Need For Speed. No idea what fail wheel drive means. No knowledge or interest in the history of motorsport. Looks zoomy. Has 300 horsepower and dad will pay for it because it's a Honda!
    Honda will likely sell them as fast as they can make them.

I'm wondering how many customers will ask if it's available with a flappy paddle automatic.
    Force McCocken likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    To me, this car is millenials that grew up on F&F franchise and Need For Speed. No idea what fail wheel drive means. No knowledge or interest in the history of motorsport. Looks zoomy. Has 300 horsepower and dad will pay for it because it's a Honda!
    Honda will likely sell them as fast as they can make them.

I'm wondering how many customers will ask if it's available with a flappy paddle automatic.
    I guess I don't mind buying an old 1998 integra TypeR but I don't get the point why Honda still designs the most ugliest sports car in 2018.

Last gen(2015-2017 euro spec) TypeR looks great. No idea what's wrong with Honda design.They could've just used that design.
    Lap times listed below is some stock lap times driven by Tsuchiya/orido/gan-San in past 20 years on Tsukuba:

2014 Toyota GT86(FRS) 1:10
    1998 dc2 integra TypeR 1:09
    s2000 AP2 1:08
    2007 FD2 civic TypeR 1:07

I'm only interested to see how fast new one could be.
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-17-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    700 times

Regarding the styling, my knowledge is there has been a bit of infighting on the models for specific markets. The Acura Honda schism intensified when the RSX-S received the hotter motor and the SI hatch did not (US market). Honda has expressed a focus to design cars true to their roots, not to market focus groups (one of the last gen Civics was a fiasco, IIRC). A lot of automakers are struggling a bit with the Millennial buyers because the data is all over the place. I remember reading that they are the first generation that don't really aspire to owning a car. When you add in the pedestrian crash safety requirements, CAFE, emissions, etc. the designers and engineers get a bit hamstrung on how to fashion the car in an appealing way. The new Type R is so far removed from the Honda roots many of us remember in the 80s and 90s that it doesn't appeal to us, so Emilio is right, it isn't meant to appeal to us, and Honda has lost a large chunk of the enthusiast market. I think technologically, it will be brilliant and cater to Honda's engineering prowess. Aesthetically, or intrinsically, it's another miss from an auto manufacturer that builds cars by committee.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    592 times

But at least Honda are doing excellent in F1
    Seriously, this is probably part of the problem with them, Honda as a company might be the complete opposite to what it was once.

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    But at least Honda are doing excellent in F1
    Seriously, this is probably part of the problem with them, Honda as a company might be the complete opposite to what it was once.
    My friend working at Honda dealer in Australia told me they had already received 14 orders from customers for new civic TypeR within 2 weeks, same price as STI.

I'm not sure how many 40k civic would be sold here..
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Liked
    981 times

I'm not exactly the target market for this car, but the styling seems the same as any other 4 bang street racer to me (evo, sti,etc). I would lose the wing and it might not look too shabby (for a Honda).

Liked
    517 times

the styling reminds me of a comment made by a Dodge executive when they first introduced the "modern" RAM truck styling (i.e., the non-generic) -- he said that given Dodge's position in the market (which at that point, was something like 60,000 trucks a year, or about 5% of the market), he'd be thrilled if 20% of the people liked it... as long as 100% knew it was a Dodge.

I have to think (hope?) Honda's taking the same position...that in a world dominated by cars that look alike, at least this way, people are talking about the Civic (even if it's on the wa to the sink to vomit).

Steve

Liked
    141 times

If Honda toned the body styling down it would just look like the soon to be released Civic Si. It's hard to justify charging $40K for a car that looks like a $25K Civic Si. I think Honda intentionally make this car look crazy. They saved people the trouble of adding those ugly APR wings and splitters that we see on the track anyway.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    If Honda toned the body styling down it would just look like the soon to be released Civic Si. It's hard to justify charging $40K for a car that looks like a $25K Civic Si. I think Honda intentionally make this car look crazy. They saved people the trouble of adding those ugly APR wings and splitters that we see on the track anyway.
    Haha agree.
    Potential customer wants a crazy car so Honda makes it. It doesn't matter if it looks properly or not.
    Will the future customer take their full stock 40k TypeR to track to get the full limit of it? Probably not. Honda said they would take the TypeR to Nurburgring to break FF record again. And that's all the customers need.

At least it looks better than APR wings and splitters. Honda said "all aero parts on TypeR are functional". I guess it already has a full set of aero package including big splitter, side skirt, brake duct, and big wings.
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-17-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Liked
    207 times

I'd still take a Focus RS over the new Type R

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I'd still take a Focus RS over the new Type R
    Focus RS is a great car. I've driven once..I couldn't believe it's a focus. Suspension is very track-focused, which I didn't expect to be this hardcore. But it's a harsh ride considering lots of owners take it as a DD.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    2015 times

Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    Focus RS is a great car. I've driven once..I couldn't believe it's a focus. Suspension is very track-focused, which I didn't expect to be this hardcore. But it's a harsh ride considering lots of owners take it as a DD.

I just bought a light blue 2017 Focus RS for my wife two weeks ago. She bought our daughter a Focus when she went to college so she would have a reliable and safe car to drive. It seems like a nice car.

Two weeks ago my wife took her truck in for service at the Ford dealer and while waiting she spotted a Focus ST in the showroom and she liked it. I could risk her buying a front wheel drive car so I went down their later and cut a deal on the RS. Having driven it, I think it is a fantastic little car. When you put the thing in track mode it gets a whole new personality.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I just bought a light blue 2017 Focus RS for my wife two weeks ago. She bought our daughter a Focus when she went to college so she would have a reliable and safe car to drive. It seems like a nice car.

Two weeks ago my wife took her truck in for service at the Ford dealer and while waiting she spotted a Focus ST in the showroom and she liked it. I could risk her buying a front wheel drive car so I went down their later and cut a deal on the RS. Having driven it, I think it is a fantastic little car. When you put the thing in track mode it gets a whole new personality.
    Base focus comes with torque vectoring as standard if I'm right
    Little fiesta ST handles really really well with 50% more torque than FRS and 184whp.
    And slightly lighter than FRS with back seats.

I love small European hatch a lot.
    Good price, miata-level handling, light, practical.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2