+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What do you guys think of this as a Birthday present?

NA Power, Every hour! andrewdruiz's Avatar
    Liked
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    How may times do I have to say I am looking for a 4-door sedan, not a low-slung sports car. By the way, I'm barely middle-aged anymore. A lot of businesses give senior discounts to people 55 and over . . . That's kind of stupid, since you are in your prime earning years when you are 55.
    Just get the 550... even if it's just for a year... then you'll be able to brag to people when you're really old and can't drive anymore about how you used to own a Ferrari... Don't you want to be able to say you owned a Ferrari?
    Last edited by andrewdruiz; 08-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    1994 RX-7 R2
    1990 Miata

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdruiz View Post
    Just get the 550... even if it's just for a year... then you'll be able to brag to people when you're really old and can't drive anymore about how you used to own a Ferrari... Don't you want to be able to say you owned a Ferrari?
    . . . and they all seem have such low miles (but 2 doors too few?)

Liked
    977 times

Wow, had no idea that 575M's were in the $70-80k range. Ferrari V12 or anything else? Seems like an easy decision.

Liked
    137 times

If you wanna drive your age, I think you need to stock up on gold chains and Tommy Bahama shirts and get on board with the new Z06 for 80k.

2015 Corvette Z06 Priced at $78,995

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Wow, had no idea that 575M's were in the $70-80k range. Ferrari V12 or anything else? Seems like an easy decision.
    You could get a salvage title 575M maybe... but probably not since it would be worth more in parts. Ferrari parts are stupid money. When I converted my 348 to a racecar I sold anything that did not make the car go faster. Even after I got wrecked I sold the remains and my racing for those years was almost a breakeven + disposables. Yes Ferrari parts are that expensive. In contrast by the time I am finished with my C5Z06 I expect to have flushed close to $100k right down the drain.

Oh and being able to afford to buy a Ferrari is the easy part. It is living with it and maintaining it that will make you think you have just acquired an x-wife. Luckily, being an old DIY'er from the carburetor era, I can fix my Ferraris for no more than 20% of retail parts and labor charges. If you can't do that keep your Ferrari only until the warrantee expires or prepare to open your wallet.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 08-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Liked
    1486 times

Richard,

I got a nice booklet called Maserati 1914-2014 produced by autoweek. If you want it let me know. I will be in torrance on monday PV the weekend.

Liked
    1477 times

Carl -

Thanks, but I am an AutoWeek subscriber and got that brochure too.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Have you driven any cars yet Richard?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

No. But my interest in the current M3 with manual has been piqued. Or maybe M4 (which I like better) if there is enough room in the backseat for my younger son, who is almost 17 and getting pretty tall.
    bawareca and JJ1 like this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Here you go Richard, Eric Richter and I saw this one at Cars and Coffee this morning. Even had a 6 speed manual trans.
    richards-bmw.jpg
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

Today I saw an M4 on the street for the first time. Very nice. It was white, but I don't know if it had the 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual clutch transmission. Giving this some serious thought . . .

Liked
    237 times

Richard, I've given this a lot of thought and I believe this car is what you need:

**2013 Ford Mustang BOSS 302**

You'll be able to escape those pesky Miatas with ease.

Liked
    1486 times

I am not sure if I like the M3 V8 or the M3 turbo 6 better. I really like the sedans over the coupes. You can stick your race tires in the back seat! I like white too with carbon roofs and the special leather that looks like carbon in the interior. There will most likely be one in my future soon.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ I have absolutely no interest in a Mustang . . .
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    855 times

Don't be a sheep.

There is a "sleeper" out their for those who do not crave the prestige factor. Excerpts per J. Lieberman of Motor Trend Mag:

"Chevrolet SS
    I love the Cadillac CTS Vsport. Light, great handling, turbo power, sexy sedan shape -- all that. But for $15,000 less, there's another four-door family schlepper made by GM that I like better.

The reworked Holden Commodore is simply badass. There are all sorts of engines I like, but naturally aspirated, large displacement V-8s are at the top of the list.

At 415 hp the amount of power is excellent when it's mated to a sweet driving chassis. The transmission's pretty good, too. Though, of course, there will be a manual transmission version of the SS soon, along with magnetic shocks.

Bottom line, I'd take the Chevy SS over any other midsize, RWD sedan on the market -- and that's including the Jaguar XF, a car I also love. Go buy one before GM takes Holden out behind the barn."

Read more: Short Shrift: Cars I Should Be Talking About - Motor Trend
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-19-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    2283 times

I found your car.

$99k (one in Youtube is $110k) for a brand new Aston Vantage GT.
    I am guessing this is to your taste ? British car, not common, fits your budget, relatively cheap to maintain (Ford/Volvo/Jag parts), beautiful car, GT version, manual transmission. go to 7:40 mark to hear the exhaust !!

Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-25-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    bawareca likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    641 times

Wow,hundred grand for Aston I might get one someday

+ Reply to Thread