+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What do you guys think of this as a Birthday present?

Liked
    1477 times

Default What do you guys think of this as a Birthday present?

I'm turning 60 next year. I have been thinking about buying myself a nice new car for a "happy birthday to me" present. The last NEW car I bought was my 2006 Mitsu Evo IX MR, over 8 years ago, and it has 131,000 miles on the odo. I have bought several used cars since then, including the '92 NSX and '04 S2000 I currently own. But I'm getting older and have back problems. I think a nice, cushy, new Italian 4-door sedan with a comfy leather interior, 404 bhp / 406 tq twin-turbocharged V6, and awd might just be the ticket. I think I could even live with the slushbox in this car . . .

Engine
    No. of cylinders and layout: 3.0 L Twin-Turbo V6 (60)
    Displacement: 182 cu in (2,979 cc)
    Bore: 3.4 in (86.4 mm)
    Stroke: 3.3 in (83.8 mm)
    Transmission: ZF 8-Speed Automatic (oy vey . . .)
    Compression ratio 9.7:1
    Peak Horsepower: 404 HP (410 CV)
    RPM at Peak Horsepower: 5500 rpm
    Peak torque : 406 lb-ft (550 Nm)
    RPM at Peak torque: 1750 rpm
    Maximum RPM: 6,750 rpm

P.S. It's a Maserati Ghibli S Q4
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    855 times

Very nice car Richard, but the cost of ownership could be a real bummer. I could not find it on the Edmond's web site, but it does provide information on a premium Jaguar XJS.

cost-own.jpg

Liked
    237 times

"My Maserati does 185. I lost my license, now I don't drive...."
    - "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sheriff, get it!
    slodrew likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ It's a brand new car that just became available in the USA. The Edmonds cost of ownership numbers don't scare me. I'd like to buy one before they start hiking up the price. Waiting until next year will allow me to avoid the first years problems revealed from the early owners that get fixed in the second year.

I could easily buy a Tesla Model S 85 for the same money, but I don't want a freaking ELECTRIC CAR and I don't want to pat myself on the back and smell my own farts (think South Park - San Francisco episode) for being a green dude (which I am not). I just want to be an old guy with some automotive taste, who doesn't buy a Cadillac, Mercedes, or Lexus.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    "My Maserati does 185. I lost my license, now I don't drive...."
    - "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sheriff, get it!
    Some of the greatest rock lyrics ever written . . .

But I give you these lyrics from the Black Crowes "Go Faster":

You can't stop
    Or I might pass ya
    If you slow down
    I'll out last ya
    But when you're down
    You won't find me laughing
    Just one question I might ask ya
    It might sound like a disaster
    Can you make this thing go faster?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-17-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    137 times

If its a birthday present from/to you and its what you want then who cares what we think

3 years ago for my 30th birthday I bought my CTS-V wagon with the justification to my fiancee that I'm old now and i need a "responsible" car. She didn't buy it but who cared, it still makes me giggle like a little girl to this day. If you think you will get an amount of enjoyment (i call it throttle therapy) out of that equal to its cost then do it. If you are doing it for any other reason, all you'll have in the end is a practical lesson in depreciation.

Semi-Related story, last weekend at ACS I had a wonderful discussion with a gentleman tracking his Aston Martin DB9 which had race buckets and a very impressive home made kognition wing mount but was otherwise stock and british. I asked "Why did you choose that over the more typical 911 or Corvette" to which he responded (im paraphrasing) "I didnt want to be another douche bag in a 911 or another old bald guy in a corvette, and while I don't pass many people on the track when I do, I do it in style". At which point he delved into a story about how his girlfriend hates the race buckets and he didn't care. He is easily one of the most genuinely awesome people I've ever met at the track.

Curious, why the Maserati over other options from BMW/Merc/Audi/Tesla/etc? What does it do for you that others don't? Got a mechanic with kids in need of a college education?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Curious, why the Maserati over other options from BMW/Merc/Audi/Tesla/etc? What does it do for you that others don't? Got a mechanic with kids in need of a college education?
    Because it's Italian, exterior styling is beautiful, it's basically a Ferrari small 4-door sedan, and you won't see yourself coming and going in a Ghibli S Q4. I have owned 4 new BMWs, a Mercedes, a new Audi S4, and have no interest in electric cars (Tesla). Ain't that enough?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

You have been driving for a long time. I think cool styling and a unique car can get old quick if its not a blast to drive. I don't know much about this car but on paper a m5 sounds like a better choice. Now if it had a flat crank Ferrari V8...

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    If its a birthday present from/to you and its what you want then who cares what we think

3 years ago for my 30th birthday I bought my CTS-V wagon with the justification to my fiancee that I'm old now and i need a "responsible" car. She didn't buy it but who cared, it still makes me giggle like a little girl to this day. If you think you will get an amount of enjoyment (i call it throttle therapy) out of that equal to its cost then do it. If you are doing it for any other reason, all you'll have in the end is a practical lesson in depreciation.

Semi-Related story, last weekend at ACS I had a wonderful discussion with a gentleman tracking his Aston Martin DB9 which had race buckets and a very impressive home made kognition wing mount but was otherwise stock and british. I asked "Why did you choose that over the more typical 911 or Corvette" to which he responded (im paraphrasing) "I didnt want to be another douche bag in a 911 or another old bald guy in a corvette, and while I don't pass many people on the track when I do, I do it in style". At which point he delved into a story about how his girlfriend hates the race buckets and he didn't care. He is easily one of the most genuinely awesome people I've ever met at the track.

I think I met the same guy at Spring Mt. Brembos, wheels and Coilovers IIRC. Really cool car and cool guy to talk to.

Liked
    299 times

You should strongly consider the Jaguar F-Type R. 5.0L V8. Supercharged. RWD. 550hp/500tq. British. $100k.
    2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Road Test | Edmunds.com
    Jaguar F-type R Reviews - Jaguar F-type R Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

BASE PRICE: $99,895

ENGINE TYPE: supercharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 305 cu in, 5000 cc
    Power: 550 hp @ 6500 rpm
    Torque: 502 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
    Wheelbase: 103.2 in
    Length: 176.0 in
    Width: 75.7 in Height: 52.0 in
    Curb weight: 3950 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
    Zero to 60 mph: 3.5 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 8.3 sec
    Standing -mile: 11.8 sec
    Top speed: 186 mph

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
    EPA city/highway: 16/23 mpg

JJ1 likes this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    366 times

F type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r f type r
    Do you understand?

Liked
    139 times

Don't think twice. Life is too short to not get the things you really want. Go for it!

Charley
    Olitho, MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Jaguar F-type R is a beautiful car, no question. But you aren't getting what I am saying. I am getting older and have back problems. Getting in and out of a bucket seat in a low-slung sports coupe is going to be difficult for me, going forward. I need a cushy sedan, but I don't want to drive my living room down the highway. Hence my interest in the Maserati S Q4.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

If you like it and you want it and you can afford it, you should get it.

Liked
    2283 times

I say buy a real Ferrari, not a 4 door Ferrari wanna be.
    what's the point of buying a car with Ferrari maintenance budget that's not a Ferrari.

and I bet you will end up paying less with a Ferrari over the lifetime of the car than a Maserati (with one of worst resale value).
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I say buy a real Ferrari, not a 4 door Ferrari wanna be.
    what's the point of buying a car with Ferrari maintenance budget that's not a Ferrari.

and I bet you will end up paying less with a Ferrari over the lifetime of the car than a Maserati (with one of worst resale value).
    Lots of truth here! In the used Ferrari market you can own the car for 2 years and break even except on maintenance. Masers drop like rocks and still have weird issues Ferrari does not even have. Ferraris hold value very well. It is cheaper except maintenance to own an old 360 than a 6 series BMW. An example the Maser GTurismo you have to take the $2000 windshield out to get to the screws for the dashboard. But a Maser has the Ferrari Italian style, flare and awesome interior other marques could only dream about having. I cars still do not have GM sameness. So if you get a bad Maser its ok while under warrantee then sell it before it runs out. If it is a good trouble free car it will stay that way and keep it after the warrantee if you like it. To own these cars it is like any I car. You need patience, AAA plus, and deeper maintenance pockets and know how to get to your Zen happy place when the Italian mistress lets you down. If you sweat small details this is not the car for you. Japanese reliability and intelligence of engineering comes at a price of sterility and the old coke generation. If you want to step into the exciting "energy drink" world Ferraris and Masers are for you. A four door Maser is much more exciting than a GTR.

When you first drive away in your brand new Maser the leather smell will be intoxicating, the power and road feel will seem criminal. Make sure you post up a picture here of the silly grin I guarantee will ride on your face.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    744 times

Can't tell if this thread is about attention whoring or if I stumbled into some quasi-AARP forum.
    VagaXt likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    977 times

Do it!

Liked
    4 times

Richard, How about a nice Audi R8??? combine German engineering / reliability and Italian style. Plus they are supposively comfortable and easy to get in and out of....

My 2 Euros....

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ben22 View Post
    Richard, How about a nice Audi R8??? combine German engineering / reliability and Italian style. Plus they are supposively comfortable and easy to get in and out of....

My 2 Euros....
    I second this, but it might be too low and fast for the sheriff.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ben22 View Post

My 2 Euros....
    How is R8 Italian style ? you got to explain that to me......
    VagaXt and bawareca like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast