+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By markn
  • 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 1 Post By Plavan
  • 1 Post By robburgoon

Thread: What is the correct way to specify toe?

Liked
    23 times

Default What is the correct way to specify toe?

I have a question regarding what is the correct way to call out toe specs in inches. Using the diagram below, I have always thought that total toe equals out to the measurement of either sample B or same A (1/8th total toe). After doing some research, it seems that some racers add up the measurement of sample A and B together to get the total toe to 1/4. Anyone have some input on this?
    toe-.jpg
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

-.0625 + -.0625 + .0625 + .0625. Zero toe. I hope more racers are doing it this way. Especially the ones in my class .

Toe 'in' is described with a positive value. Toe out is described with a negative value. In the example above the car has 1/8" total toe IN, 1/16" toe in per side. A difference in toe settings in the front will result in the car finding its neutral point between the two settings and a cocked steering wheel will be the result. In the rear different toe settings side to side will result in a thrust angle that is not in line with the vehicle centerline.

Negative Toe = tires point out -> toe out
    Positive Toe = tires point in -> toe in

Important to note that there is no standard reference wheel diameter for toe measurement. Different machines and manufacturers use different diameter 'wheels' for calculation of toe measurements with inch or mm units. Hunter and John Bean systems are very different as just one example. Describing toe measurements in degree units avoids this pitfall but is not really practical for most.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    1495 times

Great post. If you have custom toe settings for the alignment shop, calculate it in decimal degrees so the tech doesn't look at you like you just kicked his dog. That or if you're in a pinch just say "a smidge in from zero in the back, and a smidge out from zero in the front", and see how it goes.
    0.o slow 1.6 likes this.

Liked
    23 times

Thank you for making it easy to understand. Guess I was overthinking when I read up toe settings on a random website.

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post

Important to note that there is no standard reference wheel diameter for toe measurement. Different machines and manufacturers use different diameter 'wheels' for calculation of toe measurements with inch or mm units. Hunter and John Bean systems are very different as just one example. Describing toe measurements in degree units avoids this pitfall but is not really practical for most.
    Looks like I should call the alignment shop adhead of time to see what tire diameter setting they use so I can calculate everything in degrees for them.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    66 times

I use Millimeters on the NP. Makes for easy subtraction/addition when figuring out Toe.
    GraemeD likes this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    Thank you for making it easy to understand. Guess I was overthinking when I read up toe settings on a random website.

Looks like I should call the alignment shop adhead of time to see what tire diameter setting they use so I can calculate everything in degrees for them.
    Wait, you don't need to know anything about the shop if you're doing degrees. If the shop can do degrees, you don't need to talk to them about tire diameter. You DO need to convert the toe you're looking for into degrees so you know what to tell them.
    0.o slow 1.6 likes this.

Liked
    23 times

oops, brain fart.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread