+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Vented hoods ?

Liked
    448 times

hole saw/drill bits in the corners and then cutoff wheel on an angle grinder between the holes. Miata hoods are aluminum so it's pretty easy to cut. Just take your time on yours and it should work fine.
    I wouldn't recommend jigsaw.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    That is a great idea. That actually allows me to put the vents anywhere I want.
    I have seen some people use jigsaw to cut their hoods and some other use a rotary tool. What do you guys recommend?
    The Trackspec vents are designed to reinforce the hood structure once fastened to the hood. They are the only ones that I know of that actually focus on this and thus allows the user to put them anywhere on the hood independent of under structure. We have many SCCA/NASA/SPEC Corvette/ Mile cars running the vents cutting thru structure at track speeds in excess of 120-150 mph without issue. The miles cars are seeing 220+ with our C5T1 kit.

Turns out we have a 15-16 STI kit we just finished designing and looking for someone to install in exchange for feedback and pics. Interested? Contact me at trackspecmotorsports@gmail.com

John

Liked
    474 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    That is a great idea. That actually allows me to put the vents anywhere I want.
    I have seen some people use jigsaw to cut their hoods and some other use a rotary tool. What do you guys recommend?
    That all depends on what tool you are more skilled with. Both work well. Saw seems to be more manageable but the cuts (not that you will be able to see them) are harder to keep straight. Roto wheel cuts straighter but, if your on the wrong path of need to make a curve. It's not as easy to make adjustments.
    Personally I would use both and a small hole saw for the corners.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by trackspec_john View Post
    The Trackspec vents are designed to reinforce the hood structure once fastened to the hood. They are the only ones that I know of that actually focus on this and thus allows the user to put them anywhere on the hood independent of under structure. We have many SCCA/NASA/SPEC Corvette/ Mile cars running the vents cutting thru structure at track speeds in excess of 120-150 mph without issue. The miles cars are seeing 220+ with our C5T1 kit.

Turns out we have a 15-16 STI kit we just finished designing and looking for someone to install in exchange for feedback and pics. Interested? Contact me at trackspecmotorsports@gmail.com

John
    John, I am sending you and e-mail now (Sunday 04-08) look forward to connecting with you.
    Thanks

Liked
    6 times

Just an quick update, I picked up a 4.5-5" angle cutter / grinder with a cut off wheel. I am ready to do some surgery !
    I just realized that, that is one tool everyone with a race car or DYI should have.

I am waiting for the vendor above to contact me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2