Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Two die in Supercar crash at Speedvegas

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2488 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1949 times

Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas

One more reminder for myself why I stopped instructing after Sean Edwards died.

Liked
    2290 times

"The driver lost control of the car, a white Lamborghini, and spun out. The car crashed into a barrier wall and burst into flames."

I wonder how big the impact was to rupture the fuel tank?

Liked
    2365 times

this is a brand new facility started in 2016. few miles outside as you drive into Vegas on 15.

this is like Exotic Racing in Fontana. Instructor has a brake pedal too. really surprised someone can get hurt. I would think there is a point (marked by a cone) of no return, that instructor suppose to apply brakes ?
    There are at least 3 instructors that works at Exotic Racing on Trackhq. probably they can chime in.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2365 times

of all the crashes we've seen on track, when was last time we've seen one that went up in flame as result of a crash ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1436 times

Looks to me like they stuffed it into the right side wall after the chicane at the end of the front straight. All it would take is someone to not brake enough and throw it hard right while trailbraking.

Senior Member Sampson Racing Radios's Avatar
    Liked
    64 times

Thats a real bummmmeerrr!
    SRC Sampson Racing Communication
    4475 Dupont Crt #2
    Ventura, CA 93003
    866 396 7231
    www.sampsonracing.com

Liked
    1949 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    of all the crashes we've seen on track, when was last time we've seen one that went up in flame as result of a crash ?
    I remember a Subaru going up in flames after getting parked on the retaining wall coming out of the esses at BRP, but that was some years ago.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2488 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Lamborghini. It was probably on fire before it hit the wall.
    craZee and bawareca like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2365 times

that reminded me when I bought X1/9 many years ago. First thing while the car was still on trailer (being towed back), drove to a hardware store and bought a fire extinguisher to install in the car. First mod of an Italian car.
    bawareca likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    864 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Looks to me like they stuffed it into the right side wall after the chicane at the end of the front straight. All it would take is someone to not brake enough and throw it hard right while trailbraking.
    Seems like it.

I actually overdrove this corner once myself during a very fun outing my son provided for me while our wives slept in at the Wynn. And I certainly didn't trail brake. Instead I used the ample run off at the far end of the straight to straighten things out out. Terminal seeds at the end of the straight are around 140+ mph, so a very hard turn could, I suppose, cause a pretty violent spin in the soft run-off - even with the instructor braking and traction control.

So sad.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-13-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Lamborghini. It was probably on fire before it hit the wall.
    Wasn't there footage from a Lamborghini race where at least one of the cars was a fireball before or at the race start?

Very sad.

Edit, this is what I was thinking of:

Last edited by Red_5; 02-13-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    864 times

Wow!

No fire truck? The hand held units seemed woefully inadequate. Pretty much just basting the turkey . . .

Liked
    143 times

Sad to see that. A lot of those drivers get those drives as gifts. They never realize the dangers associated with drivinga fast car on a race track. I hope the drivers family didn't see that happen from the paddock. It would be horrible.

I think my brother got a exotic racing gift certificate he still has not used.
    Last edited by Silversprint; 02-13-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    111 times

Terrible. I try to avoid riding as a passenger in high HP cars with newb drivers. Unfortunately we see that combination far too often.
    Recently at my track a spanish-built hillcimber (hayabusa engine / 1100lbs) with an intermediate driver crashed and caught fire, fortunately he got out of the car on time, but the car burnt to the ground in 2 minutes. If he had been unconscious after the crash, or unable to exit, he would probably be dead before the fire truck could reach him.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    1949 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post

Wow!

No fire truck? The hand held units seemed woefully inadequate. Pretty much just basting the turkey . . .
    You mean 15 idiots with fire extinguishers trying to put out the fire by aiming at the general direction of the car and track surface (for f**k sake!) rather than the driver and get him out of the damn car is not effective?
    This video should be shown to safety personnel all around the world as an example of "what not to do".

Liked
    1436 times

Might have been too hot to get closer or approach from downwind in that case. You'd think the fire gear would help with that.

Liked
    1949 times

The driver in the video was pulled out of the car by one of his crew members, not a safety worker, and you can see safety personnel aiming their fire extinguishers squarely at the track surface downstream from the car...

Liked
    222 times

Sad incident for sure. Condolences to family and friends.

We know these cars command respect (e.g. Rojas/Walker in the Carerra GT, or Hamilton’s Zonda vs wall in Monaco - both survived). One wonders if it was a driver error and/or mechanical issue, and if there were contributing factors e.g. safety features at the circuit. Recalling Orlando ’15, when instructor Gary Terry died in a crash (also a Lamborghini). The driver spun (yes, high power car), though the incident likely proved lethal because the circuit wasn’t intended to be run in reverse. And Summit ’08, when Cale Kastanek succumbed to injuries related to brake rotor failure at speed. Too soon to tell what happened in this incident. Though we can be sure lawyers will be champing at the bit.

The 2010 Super Troefeo Bartocci incident certainly wasn’t lacking in hand-held fire extinguishers at the scene. Compare that to Williamson in ’73:

...or Lauda in ’76. Long circuits of the era didn’t help the few responders that were present.

We’ve come a long way. We owe a lot to advocates like Stewart and others. Back in the 50-60s it was said that a driver had something like a 1 in 3 odds of surviving a five-year career in GP. Unfortunately we can’t eliminate all the risks (even Lauda says that). Though we can still learn and do better (RIP Jules).

Liked
    19 times

The problem with the "Drive an Exotic!" format is the instructor has a person completely unknown to him, probably with zero
    experience on a track who want to have/paid for a thrilling fun time in something between 3 and 6 laps in a car that they
    are completely unfamiliar with. Couple that with a venue that has high speed sections with real walls.

I have coached at such events (only a few) and the range of paying drivers spans the nervous, hesitant and reluctant - to the "hold
    my beer and marvel at my driving
    " types. Unlike having a 2-day student that you can do an intro discussion with (and who is
    familiar with the car and wants to drive it home intact) - the jump-in-and-drive model is very different - and has different risks.
    ucfbrett and thepass like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast