Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thepass

Thread: Twin Scroll Turbo for New Miata

Liked
    822 times

Default Twin Scroll Turbo for New Miata

Liked
    131 times

should read. Mazda miata turbo kit brings transmission to rubble.

Liked
    671 times

Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    I wonder how difficult it would be to source and install the Fiat/NC transmission along with the Fiat rear end on the ND Miata.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    504 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I wonder how difficult it would be to source and install the Fiat/NC transmission along with the Fiat rear end on the ND Miata.
    Assuming the rear of the engine is placed identically in the car between the two cars (I haven't measured this) then at a minimum, new bellhousing (ideally) or adapter plate (less ideal, would need custom driveshaft length) and probably custom flywheel.

Visually, the NC and Fiat transmissions share almost no similarities. I haven't confirmed/denied whether the internals are the same, but if they are that is the only thing they share.

And if you're going through the trouble to put a foreign trans in the car for turbo power longevity, I'd put the work in on a stronger box. I snapped an NC trans in 2 laps at CVR with our turbo car (on power).
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    822 times

Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    Guess so. Read it and weep:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthrea...03239&page=225

Liked
    671 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    Assuming the rear of the engine is placed identically in the car between the two cars (I haven't measured this) then at a minimum, new bellhousing (ideally) or adapter plate (less ideal, would need custom driveshaft length) and probably custom flywheel.

Visually, the NC and Fiat transmissions share almost no similarities. I haven't confirmed/denied whether the internals are the same, but if they are that is the only thing they share.

And if you're going through the trouble to put a foreign trans in the car for turbo power longevity, I'd put the work in on a stronger box. I snapped an NC trans in 2 laps at CVR with our turbo car (on power).
    I could swear the Fiat used the NC transmission and I thought the NC transmission was pretty durable but all my info is from reading the inter webs.

How much power was the turbo NC running and how long had the transmission been used in the car?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    504 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I could swear the Fiat used the NC transmission and I thought the NC transmission was pretty durable but all my info is from reading the inter webs.

How much power was the turbo NC running and how long had the transmission been used in the car?
    It's possible they share internals, Fiat may have done their own case for the NC gears. Just looking at the two externally though, it's definitely not an NC case on the Fiat.

That NC was ~350 ft-lbs, pretty fresh trans but IIRC it was a 5spd - which like the NA/NB is considered a bit weaker than the 6. I'm just saying the work to adapt an NC trans to the ND is likely just as much work as adapting something non-Mazda.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

+ Reply to Thread