Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By Olitho
  • 4 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 2 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 2 Post By SteveLevin
  • 1 Post By MikeColangelo
  • 2 Post By Estoril

Thread: a tree falling in the woods (or, my health)

Liked
    609 times

Default a tree falling in the woods (or, my health)

For me, this is a very tough post (given my desire to always be in control). I will try and be as brief as possible, and I won't post about this again.

While I hadn't been feeling right since the fall of 2015, we were just going along with things. You guys know I'm not...well..dainty, and I just put everything down to not working hard enough to at least hold my weight. In fact, in early March 2016, we took a weeklong trip to look at some property up in Montana as a place e might retire. Stopped by West Yellowstone along the way, and felt pretty good despite the altitude, etc. Even did the banzai drive from Yellowstone back to Sunnyvale with just a 2 hour catnap in a rest area.

But about 4 days after we got back, I started vomiting multiple times an hour, and it was coming up black. I couldn't figure out what I'd eaten, but still, just put it down to some kind of bad food. Finally, after 18 hours of this happening and getting worse, I caved in and had my wife take me to the ER.

That's when I learned that black vomit is blood. It's a "very bad thing." Turns out that despite not being a drinker, of drug user, or catching hepatitis, I have liver cirrhosis. And it was fairly advanced already; enough that Kaiser started the process to get me into the system for a liver transplant. I'm not sick enough to be "offered" a liver yet, but it's not good (and getting worse). But there is a bit of a glitch...I am type O, which means that I can only receive a transplant from a type O donor (whereas a Type A can use both type A and type O livers, meaning they can take almost 85% of livers that become available).

Coupled with the demand for livers and the fact that they have a very short "life" in which they can be transplanted, only about 50% of type O patients survive long enough to be offered a liver from a deceased donor.

There is one other option. A living donor. Since the liver regenerates, it's possible to take half a liver from a person, and over a bit, it grows back. It's still a major surgery that has some risk (everything in medicine has risks). Rather than go through them, I will just leave a link to UCSF's page on the subject. The two immutable requirements are that you must be blood type O, and be under 60.

Thanks, and sorry for killing so many electrons.

Steve

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatment...ant/index.html

Liked
    2344 times

I am O+. Committing to a partial liver donation, and being a recipient, is not a casual decision for sure. I just read the link and it sounds intriguing....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2364 times

For the sake of your health, your life and your loved ones, you should post this to every social media site you can to perhaps make something happen.

Liked
    1721 times

All I can offer is a "best of luck" and some prayers. I hope it all works out. West yellowstone area is a personal favorite of mine. The flyfishing is fantastic. I try and fish there every year.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    887 times

I had kind of a bad feeling when I read the title to your post. I will spread the word as much as possible. Just in case, a quick question: are there any places other than the one below below that would help potential donors learn more about post-surgical liver regeneration?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_regeneration

God bless. Our hearts our with you.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-24-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    609 times

If they go to the UCSF site I listed above, there's a lot of information. And if that's not the info, there's a contact phone number and the team there will be happy to set side time to answer any questions. By design, the living donor has an entirely different team that doesn't include any of my doctors, to make sure that no one feels pressured (since neither I nor my doctors will know until we get to setting a surgery date).

The donor advocate team is exactly that...a team to advocate and be willing to call off the process at any time if there are any medical issues that create unreasonable risk for the donor.Not surprisingly,the physical requirements are much more rigorous than for the recipient. The goal is that within weeks the healthy donor will only have the memory and (I assume) a cool scar.

Steve

Liked
    278 times

Steve, I'm truly saddened to hear this. Unfortunately, I'm the wrong blood type to help.

I wish you the best of luck.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    30 times

While I can't help due to wrong type - you have my sincere hope that you get past this soon and have that great feeling of a big speed bump passed.

+ Reply to Thread