+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TrackHQ Nurburgring trip...?

Liked
    97 times

This was on R-comps, for what it's worth. Either way it's still a badass car.

It just pisses me off when the big name magazines do lap time comparisons of all different cars, and the ones that come from the factory with R-comps don't get a disclaimer in the lap results. Or better yet, why don't the magazines just fit the same exact tire model on all the cars they test. Surely they could find a tire company to sponsor them in the endeavor...

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by WLopez34 View Post
    maybe when I hit my midlife crisis I shall go
    I hit my mid-life crisis about 8 years ago, and it's still going strong (50 track days a year).
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post

It just pisses me off when the big name magazines do lap time comparisons of all different cars, and the ones that come from the factory with R-comps don't get a disclaimer in the lap results. Or better yet, why don't the magazines just fit the same exact tire model on all the cars they test. Surely they could find a tire company to sponsor them in the endeavor...
    Dude, you take this $h!t too seriously . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

I used to do testing for a couple of magazines. The philosophy is "Where do you draw the line" on equalizing the cars? Do you match tires? Brake pads? What about if a cheaper car just got headers or a supercharger, etc.

What the test editors do is run the cars stock even down to the manufacturers recommended tire pressure. It was hard to wrap my head around their unwillingness to making even the most modest adjusments like tire pressure, but the hard policy is to stick "as shipped" from the factory.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    15 times

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups right?

Well, if it comes with em from the factory, just the way it is really

What tires did the LFA run?

Liked
    0 times

I did this trip in 2008 and it was unbelievable. Here's my input.

Don't try to take a regular rental car on the Nordschleife. People were doing this and returning cars to the rental companies with destroyed tires and brakes enough that they have disallowed it. This means they pay spotters to look for their cars at the 'Ring. If you even pull a regular rental into the parking lot of the Nurburgring staging area and you're caught, you'll be fined 10,000 Euros and be banned from renting from that company for life.

Knowing this, I rented a cheapo Ford Fiesta to get to the track from the Mainz train station. Once in Nurburg, I rented a 240hp Focus RS with cage/fire suppression/racing seat/harness/R888's from Rent4Ring. I highly recommend these guys. If he's still there, talk to Ralph. He's very cool.

As another member pointed out, you don't want to overestimate how many laps you will be able to do. I say this mostly from a fatigue standpoint. It is a giant, dangerous track with way more turns than you've ever seen on any circuit, and you'll be avoiding slowpokes while being eaten up by fully prepped racing monsters. 12 laps on your first day is probably enough. And practicing beforehand on Gran Turismo is a great idea.

Lastly, I would say that if this is truly on your bucket list don't wait for friends to be able to join you at the perfect time of year, etc. That would be great, but I wouldn't postpone this experience indefinitely because of it. Plus, we all know how easy it is to make friends at the track. It's no different at the Nurburgring.

Liked
    10 times

i was planning a Ring trip as well

rsrnurburg.com
    Last edited by Jaku; 09-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by WLopez34 View Post
    Michelin Pilot Sport Cups right?

Well, if it comes with em from the factory, just the way it is really

What tires did the LFA run?

BS RE070, the slightly slower tire option of GTR
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    10 times

Lotus Exige 240S - up to 12 available from rsrnurburg.com

Jaku 峠

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jaku View Post
    Lotus Exige S240 - up to 12 available from rsrnurburg.com

*edited
    and completely worth it.

Me heading out. Went in August, 2011.

Three guys and myself did a "Car guy trip" to Europe... Porsche Factory, BMW Museum, 8 indoor/outdoor karting tracks, Nurburgring, Hockenheimring, Amsterdam and Prague... I've been writing up everything we did, including references to the places we went, drove, etc.
    Last edited by Kam; 09-28-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    34 times

^ I heard the track prep'd rental companies there won't let you put any cameras on the car when you are driving on the ring. Is this true? And do yo have a link to your write up of your trip? thx

Liked
    546 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    ^ I heard the track prep'd rental companies there won't let you put any cameras on the car when you are driving on the ring. Is this true? And do yo have a link to your write up of your trip? thx
    I think that's a track limitation -- they have a camera rental concession and therefore the only "permitted" cameras are the ones that you rent from them.

Depending upon how much time you spend in Germany there's also the Sinsheim transportation museum (you would drive by it from the 'Ring to Zuffenhausen) which has some nice cars as well as both a Tu-144 and a Concorde. Then there's all the various cultural/fun stuff in the region, but it depends on how much driving/time you have.

I have done FRA to AMS in 3 hours before, for example, to give you an idea of how quickly you can get places if you don't mind burning $9/gallon gas at 6 or 7mpg

Steve

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    ^ I heard the track prep'd rental companies there won't let you put any cameras on the car when you are driving on the ring. Is this true?
    For tourist days, you aren't suppose to film it... but, if you have someone ride shotgun, they can easily start recording once you leave the gate.

And do yo have a link to your write up of your trip? thx
    Still putting it together... I'll post it up once I finish writing it.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    142 times
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    1477 times

Police are still investigating, but cite "excessive speed" as the cause.
    That is perhaps the greatest closing sentence of a news article I have ever read.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    That is perhaps the greatest closing sentence of a news article I have ever read.
    Gotta love totally-out-of-touch journalism.

Liked
    130 times

Very late to this thread but I've been 4 times and have over 150 laps. I can help answer any questions.

For the most part you can get away with driving a rental car there. (But I am banned for life from EuropeCar lol) -But- the ring is very hard on brakes and tires and you really won't have that much fun in a cheap rental unless you've never been and don't plan to go much under 10 minutes a lap.

Liked
    130 times

also being fined by the rental car company is bs. it's never happened to anyone I know or anyone they know. It's a myth. -but- if you return the car with bald tires and worn brakes they will try to charge you for it. Thats how I'm banned from europecar. they tried in 2006 to charge me, but I argued with them and instead they just banned me.

I just remove all the rental car stickers from the car and have never had another problem. -but- I always rent a dedicated ring toy since frankly a suzuki swift with r comps, good brake pads and suspension is WAY more fun than even the fastest of street cars.

Here is me doing a 8:48 in a rent4ring stage 2 swift. I never got any video of the stage 3 swift (they only rent it to you if they know you and are mostly comfortable you won't ruin it)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3