Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TrackHQ Nurburgring trip...?

Liked
    97 times

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    ^ fixed.

I'd probably take the first from the list. The Suzuki. I imagine it as a FWD Miata. I'd rent for 3 days straight, split between another driver = ($410 x 3 days)/2=$615 for 3 days of as much driving as you can take. I wouldn't do the ring if I hadto worry about not gettign enough track time.
    there usually are other cost. fuel would be the first major expense. running 3 days at $10/gallon (sharing between 3 drivers, means car is always being used) is easily $2,400 (more if say a 911). not sure if those rental include track fee. or just rental car. in 3 days, it is ~100 laps. how much is that for track fee ?

so called inclusive deal only cover 1st tank of gas and 12 laps (2 hours). don't forget insurance (even then it only covers part of it)
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    Amsterdam? Drive the ring and smoke a joint. Sounds fun
    Done one of the two......

Always wanted to hit the ring but this year's big trip is already planned...2012?

Liked
    165 times

Glad to see some interest, this could be tons of fun. I like the idea of shipping a car over there, but that is going to be $$$$... The public track days are only open to EU-registered road cars, so in order to take a car over there you either have to register/plate it there ($$$) OR trailer it to the Ring and run it on a private day ($$$$$$$).

I think the best bet is to have 2-4 guys split rent on one of the dedicated Ring-rentals. And do a few laps in a regular rental car as well (I was looking at BMW 1er rental prices, they're like $60/day).

I am ready to go whenever. Like next month. Oktoberfest is going on right now

Liked
    34 times

Honestly I'm ok with just an econobox. If the BMW 1er is only $60/day that would be great. I dont need a track prep car for the extra cost. just be a little more careful on the fast stuff. dont go all out the first try.
    we should find out if we can take regular rentals like the 1er to the ring and spa. whats on teh policy? do they have GPS on them, and if they find out we took it to the track, will there be hefty penalty? if the 1er checks out, then at $60 per day, we can rent a car for each of us, no need to share. Then 1 day at spa and 2 days at Ring should be enough. After that, then just rent one car to get around to party. i week stay total? If this is a go for sure, i probably won't be able to go until Nov at the earliest. Also Spa is not always open, well at least for a reasonable price. so we need to make sure Spa is open for their public event. I don't about you guys, call me crazy if you will. Spa will be my main attraction, the ring is just the icing on the cake. haha. so if I'm going, Spa must be on the itinerary.

Spa schedule: looks like there is one event on Nov 11th. then next one will be in March. ~$300.USD for 4x 25min sessions. Other organizers charge up to $1000USD per day. From my search results this is the least expensive option i think.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    so we need to make sure Spa is open for their public event. I don't about you guys, call me crazy if you will. Spa will be my main attraction, the ring is just the icing on the cake. haha. so if I'm going, Spa must be on the itinerary.

Spa schedule: looks like there is one event on Nov 11th. then next one will be in March. ~$300.USD for 4x 25min sessions. Other organizers charge up to $1000USD per day. From my search results this is the least expensive option i think.
    Manly - Nice find. Like you, I am much more interested in running Spa than the 'Ring. I look at this as a trip of a lifetime, and the idea of paying $2,000 per day to rent a Porsche race car is not out of the question. I think I would be disappointed to spend all that money and only get one day 4 x 25 minutes at Spa. I won't travel to NorCal for one day on the track--need at least 2 to make the trip worth it. So why fly to Belguim for 100 minutes of track time? Does any organizer do an open track weekend at Spa?

I can't do this before the end of this year. Sometime next year maybe.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    Honestly I'm ok with just an econobox. If the BMW 1er is only $60/day that would be great. I dont need a track prep car for the extra cost. just be a little more careful on the fast stuff. dont go all out the first try.
    we should find out if we can take regular rentals like the 1er to the ring and spa. whats on teh policy? do they have GPS on them, and if they find out we took it to the track, will there be hefty penalty? if the 1er checks out, then at $60 per day, we can rent a car for each of us, no need to share. Then 1 day at spa and 2 days at Ring should be enough. After that, then just rent one car to get around to party. i week stay total? If this is a go for sure, i probably won't be able to go until Nov at the earliest. Also Spa is not always open, well at least for a reasonable price. so we need to make sure Spa is open for their public event. I don't about you guys, call me crazy if you will. Spa will be my main attraction, the ring is just the icing on the cake. haha. so if I'm going, Spa must be on the itinerary.

You can take a regular rental car on the Ring. The only 'issue' is, most rental companies exclude the Ring from their insurance coverage. So, we'd want to check with our US insurance companies to see if we would be covered on any "toll roads" in Germany. (Officially the Ring is a "one-way toll road", lol). Normal German traffic laws apply - i.e., you have to pass on the left, use your turn signals when letting a faster car by, etc.

When I was there a few years ago, I just took the risk and did a couple of laps in my econobox rental without checking whether or not I was covered. Now that I'm older and (slightly) wiser, I suppose I'd want to make sure I'm covered if I were to do it again, especially if I'm going to do a bunch of laps.

AFAIK they do not have public days at Spa; I think that would be just like a regular HPDE day in the States. Looks like Manly's research confirms that.

Liked
    2282 times

taken from miata.net

There are a number of companies which rent cars specifically for driving on the ring - rent4ring.de, rentracecar.de, rsrnurburg.com, etc

these guys rent MX5
    http://www.rent4ring.de/en/news/new-...g-carpark.html

a good time on a stockish Miata is 9 minutes flat. 8 minutes on a turbo Miata.

problem with most public day is that public are only allowed to drive it late afternoon and evening. so that means a short day.

rumor is there are photographers for insurance/rental companies on-site.

setting a fast lap time on a public day is next to impossible. with tour buses, bikes, etc...
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    19 times

We had a local club member go for some runs and write quiet an in depth review. I think you guys are overestimating the number of laps you could do at the ring in a day. Most rental places will include 12 lap tickets with a full day rental of a race/performance car. An accident or bad weather can quickly and easily close the track for 1-2 hours, and this usually happens a couple times a day. Mind you this was during a pretty busy superbike weekend, but between incidents and weather it took 7 hours to do 4 laps. Just an FYI.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    problem with most public day is that public are only allowed to drive it late afternoon and evening. so that means a short day.

setting a fast lap time on a public day is next to impossible. with tour buses, bikes, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    We had a local club member go for some runs and write quiet an in depth review. I think you guys are overestimating the number of laps you could do at the ring in a day. Most rental places will include 12 lap tickets with a full day rental of a race/performance car. An accident or bad weather can quickly and easily close the track for 1-2 hours, and this usually happens a couple times a day. Mind you this was during a pretty busy superbike weekend, but between incidents and weather it took 7 hours to do 4 laps. Just an FYI.
    This is generally true, however, some Sundays are open 8am-5pm and with a little luck (no big accidents) you can get many laps in.

Liked
    97 times

Seeing all this, I think it would be wise to ask around if anyone knows anyone that could offer an insider-type access to this whole Ring business... Reading online and from things I hear, it seems the tourists always get the short end of the stick while the locals know when to show up, with which club to go with, etc. all that... Ideally I'd like to find someone who could offer a race car (or 2) rental deal privately, and perhaps allow us to drive with him on a private day. We could work something out in advance for 3-4 days in the area assuming some downtime as those above me posted, and share some beers at night with the local track crowd.

Since this would indeed be a trip of a lifetime (and one I've always wanted to do since I was like 16), I'd like to get some insider info before I show up there, like I usually try to do. For example, this summer we visited some Eastern bloc countries with 2 of my cousins including Ukraine (no we didn't do Chernobyl, tours are closed this year probably for good reason due to the Japan disaster, but I really wanted to see it..), but the main thing is we did kind of a "couch-surfing" thing, and we eventually met a really good guide, and also met the mayor of the town of Berehove, and basically got around like kings once we knew some of the right people in the area.

I can't go this year, maybe next year, but I will start prepping and try to establish some kind of relationships, as well as find out as much as I can before going. Bottom line I don't want to show up like the 90% of tourists to the ring.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Seeing all this, I think it would be wise to ask around if anyone knows anyone that could offer an insider-type access to this whole Ring business... Reading online and from things I hear, it seems the tourists always get the short end of the stick while the locals know when to show up, with which club to go with, etc. all that... Ideally I'd like to find someone who could offer a race car (or 2) rental deal privately, and perhaps allow us to drive with him on a private day. We could work something out in advance for 3-4 days in the area assuming some downtime as those above me posted, and share some beers at night with the local track crowd.

Since this would indeed be a trip of a lifetime (and one I've always wanted to do since I was like 16), I'd like to get some insider info before I show up there, like I usually try to do. For example, this summer we visited some Eastern bloc countries with 2 of my cousins including Ukraine (no we didn't do Chernobyl, tours are closed this year probably for good reason due to the Japan disaster, but I really wanted to see it..), but the main thing is we did kind of a "couch-surfing" thing, and we eventually met a really good guide, and also met the mayor of the town of Berehove, and basically got around like kings once we knew some of the right people in the area.

I can't go this year, maybe next year, but I will start prepping and try to establish some kind of relationships, as well as find out as much as I can before going. Bottom line I don't want to show up like the 90% of tourists to the ring.
    The RingHaus Hotel manager Martin was full of good tips when I went. I'm sure I could get back in touch with him to get some advice.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

The GT3 option, cost split amongst 4 drivers, interests me.
    OJR likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    The GT3 option, cost split amongst 4 drivers, interests me.
    I'm not sure I could handle the cost of a catastrophe with the GT3.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    546 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I'm not sure I could handle the cost of a catastrophe with the GT3.
    Heck, a blown shift that wrecks a motor costs is something like 30K from what I've heard.

Steve

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Heck, a blown shift that wrecks a motor costs is something like 30K from what I've heard.

Steve
    I think $30K is the price of a base 911 motor. GT3 has to be more.

Liked
    641 times

Some parts inside may be usable after a money shift

Liked
    546 times

That just moves it from frightening to really terrifying for me

Steve

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    That just moves it from frightening to really terrifying for me

Steve
    It's not so much blowing the motor, which arguably is the car owner's fault. It's one of us 4 bozos sharing the car on the Nurburgring that none of us have ever driven, and one of us puts it off into a wall or down a cliff.

Liked
    15 times

Speaking of the ring...

This is definitely on the bucket list.. maybe when I hit my midlife crisis I shall go

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast