+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Track day trip to England ?

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Picture this:

VIR Grand Course, southern hospitality, because New South, journey to Charlotte, visit the NASCAR museum, I might be able to get you into one of the pro teams shops in nearby Mooresville, enjoy the EXCELLENT restaurants. Drive south, maybe visit the BMW or Michelin sites, see the Giant Peach. Hit Road Atlanta, go to Midtown, hit the Varsity. If I'm there, you can crash at my place. Maaaybe taste AMP. Head about 2 hours west, sample Barber. Head maybe 2 hours east and sample Roebling. From there, easy south drive down the 75 or 95 to FL for Daytona or Sebring. Is Stuntman free? Daytona, Sebring, Moroso? Caribbean weather; soooo nice! Carolina BBQ, Low country seafood, excellent breweries. See Tom, me, what else do you need?
    that sounds fun. BUT do you guys have enough track days for this to work ? We did the Ring/SPA trip in 7 days total, including round trip flight. I can't take that long (over 7 days) of a vacation. so it would have to be at least 3 tracks in 1 week (and not this weekend AND next weekend deal).
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    744 times

You tell me. RA was booked solid by the second week of January. I am pretty sure VIR and Barber are the same. This was a close friend trying to book days for HPDEs this year.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

There are a number of reputable HPDE companies out here. Chin seems to be the top dog here. FWIW, VIR to RA is about a 5-6 hour drive.

ChinMotorsports.com - More Tracks, More Track Time

If you need help putting something together, let me know.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 01-30-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...w.klKt7A7A2P9Q

FWIW, Tom is near Myrtle Beach, I am currently in Raleigh, but may be in Atlanta soon.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    12 times

I'm at VIR a lot. I shoot skeet there all the time, I used to go every weekend to ride dirt bikes and fly FPV toys but... school and stuff. It is a special place, a very nice facility. If you ever make it there, drop me a line and I'll come hang out. I live close so I can't give too much advice on where to stay. Aunt Millie's Pizza is a must, it's the most charming little pizza joint you'll ever see. All the flaggers and staff hang out there at the end of the day and it's a good opportunity to meet some big names. I've eaten lunch there with Peter Krause and Tom Long, those guys have some good insight on the track. The go cart track is not a main attraction. The carts are junk and there's rarely anyone to race against, but the layout is a masterpiece. It actually has elevation change! A (private ) 1000 yard rifle range and a bomb pit make things interesting. They don't do a lot of testing out there anymore, but a few years ago you could feel explosions once in a while.

As for the track itself, since the repave it has become world class. The widened sections don't detract from the flow or character, they are there to save you, and you will likely need saving. VIR is a scary track. Grand course isn't really worth the hype. Full course is where the flow and character of the track come alive. The most exciting part of the track, for me, is sliding the car into turn 14.

You don't get this line on grand course: http://youtu.be/-xDYBVf5jV0?t=1m57s

If you did the trip in a street car you could drive VIR, then take back roads through the mountains down to RA. I drove from South Carolina to the Tail of the Dragon once. That was the drive of a lifetime.
    Force McCocken likes this.
    - Andrew

1991 Miata (daily driver)
    2:29.8 VIR Full Course

Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    You tell me. RA was booked solid by the second week of January. I am pretty sure VIR and Barber are the same. This was a close friend trying to book days for HPDEs this year.
    VIR is booked solid too. They cancelled the 38 hour chump race to squeeze a truck race in.
    - Andrew

1991 Miata (daily driver)
    2:29.8 VIR Full Course

Liked
    744 times

RA you have to remember you are about 45 minutes from Athens bigger college town - University of Georgia), 45-60 minutes from ATL, but RA is still in an area considered to be the fringes of the suburbs. Thanks urban sprawl!

Top BBQ is Fox Brothers (TX style), Heirloom BBQ, Fat Matt's, Daddy D's. IMO, you're better off driving to Athens as traffic in ATL can be unpredictable and nasty. Athens is a neat town with a lot of good BBQ and Southern fare restaurants. There was an Al's Italian Beef (THAT Al's, from Chicago), but it may have closed, I hear.

Smaller towns nearby, like Gainesville, Oakwood, Flowey Branch, Buford, etc. will all have places too. Lake Lanier to the NW of RA is the 'Orange County' of Atlanta, if you will. BIG homes, new money, old money, natives, yankees...it can be a bit elitist. As for accommodations, I stay at a number of friends' homes nearby, so I haven't had to get a room while I have been there, but I am told the Chateau Elan is nice, but pricey.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

I forgot to add...

If you are driving between VIR and RA, you will be towing, yes? Gas prices in South Carolina are considerably less than Georgia, and North Carolina especially. You should be able to get through NC, straight down the 85, you just wait until you are about 10 miles inside of SC's borders.

It can be a .10-.30 cent swing/gallon between the states. I 85 in SC is only about 110 miles, so it makes sense to fill up there.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Ham
    Liked
    15 times

I am down to join in either the UK or down South.
    Last edited by Ham; 02-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    1996 Mazda Miata
    Starlight Mica
    M-Edition

Liked
    2243 times

Somehow I got on this site's mailing list. It lists all the track days in the U.K.

calendar | Motorsport Days

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2