View Poll Results: Should I replace 5 year old track tires?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whatt, are you nuts? Get new tires, dumbass!

1 10.00%
  • No worries, you'll be ok.

6 60.00%
  • Do what Rob Burgoon says!

3 30.00%
  • Bacon!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanB
  • 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Track day with 5 year old tires?

Liked
    278 times

Default Track day with 5 year old tires?

I'll be doing a track day with my 2012 Mustang Boss 302 next month at Sonoma. The tires are the original ones and have 11,000 miles on them over the past 5 years. The car spends 97% of its time in a dark, dry garage. From the outside, the tires look good. No sidewall cracks. Of course, they're 5 years old so I'm assuming their grip level has dropped off some. But I'm more concerned about safety and obviously don't want a blowout at 130 mph.

So, what say you TrackHQers? Should I bite the bullet and get new rubber or do you think I'll be ok with 5 year old summer performance tires?

The only reason I'm holding off getting new tires is that I'll be getting new wheels of a different size than stock in April and don't want to buy two sets of tires.

Liked
    223 times

We'll I'd go with what Burgoon or Bacon says of course. But if in their absence I'd run the tires without a second thought.

Street tires are great for track days, especially tracks like Sonoma where a vocal tire with a wide slip angle can help keep the fun going without getting too serious. And things can get awfully serious at Sonoma if you let them. So it sounds like you've already set your expectations accordingly. Go have fun.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    1495 times

Safety wise, I think you're fine. I'd expect the OEM tires to fall apart some and chunk and overheat, but not in a fatal way. I'd be perfectly happy running it as is.

However, there is another way to look at it:

You spend a lot of money to do a track day. Entry at sonoma can be 300-400, gas getting there, maybe $200 in brakes, wear/risk on your car, 10 hours of your free time. Your time is worth something, but as little vacation as Americans get, it's not crazy to value your free time at double what you get paid.

If you wanted to do some creative accounting, you get a set of cheap R compounds or "200tw" tires for under $600, run them for a day, sell them on craigslist for $300, then sell your unchunked street tires for $200.

Maybe it costs you another $100 or so in mounting and balancing. So now you're only spending $200 more to have tires that perform much better than stock, but aren't so sticky they are likely to hurt the car.

It's possible your time is worth the better tire even for just one day.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    23 times

Unless you plan on bringing a lap timer, I say rock the stockers.
    '09 rx8 sport

Liked
    2363 times

Running your existing tires is a good way to get experience sliding the car in a controlled manner.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2592 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Running your existing tires is a good way to get experience sliding the car in a controlled manner.
    This.

Purposely low grip is a good way to familiarize yourself with a track, the car and put little stress on the machinery. Once you get your feet wet with the OEM shoes, a higher grip set of aftermarket wheels/tires is a safe plan.

Tough not to vote for bacon though..
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2363 times

Mmmm, bacon.

Liked
    30 times

Just keep an eye on all 4 tires after each session - no fail. Watch inside walls meeting tread too. Pay attention to any odd tire noise the first time. You'll likely be just fine.

On another note - driving behind a car with bacon tires must be very distracting.
    Last edited by Estoril; 02-20-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Liked
    278 times

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm surprised nobody chose bacon!

+ Reply to Thread