+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Toyota/Scion FT86 - Final Specs, not bad

  1. #21
    Senior Member DutchOven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Posts
    584
    Liked
    70 times

    Default

    Sounds like its going to closely rival the S2000, except it has 2 more seats, a hardtop, lower redline and power, as well as some bootspace

    Interesting. I drove this thing in Gran Turismo 5 and it wasn't that amazing
    Last edited by DutchOven; 11-02-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    -Kevin M.

    2010 Subaru WRX

  2. #22
    w00t Nurburgring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    111 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I have owned the following track cars: 350Z, Evo VIII, Miata (fully prepped race car PTE, ITA, SM, E2), C4 Corvette, S2000, and NSX, and I also tracked my B6 S4 several times. The S2000 is by far the most amusing to drive on track.
    I can agree on that. I`ve had a WRX, Evo VIII, `85 911 3.2, 240sx, 200sx, two AE86, three miatas (one of them turbocharged). The turbocharged Miata was a lot of fun. The AE86 feels totally raw and I like that. The Evo with a good amount of upgrades ended up being really fast, but no fun at all, and worrying about knockcounts and random reliabilty issues drove me crazy. Overall, the S2000 is a tough to beat package, I`m keeping it.

    Donutbob, sales of the Scion are supposed to begin in May.

  3. #23
    Senior Member pucsicsal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    Liked
    97 times

    Default

    ^ That's why I'm glad I never tracked my old 1G DSM (1991 Eagle Talon TSI) Was a blistering fast straightaway car, but stuff always broke, and I realized if I wanted to learn how to drive I'd want to concentrate on driving, not if my injectors were big enough or how much my EGT's were...

  4. #24
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Looks sweet, I like it! RWD is good. LSD is great. 2700lbs is good. Needs more power though; 300hp would get me to seriously consider it.

    Doubt it will have decent suspension... All the Subi's are strut-type, as are virtually all Toyotas.....

  5. #25
    w00t Nurburgring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    111 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Doubt it will have decent suspension... All the Subi's are strut-type, as are virtually all Toyotas.....
    Yeah, regarding suspension/handling, seems to have been one of the focus areas of the car:
    - McPherson front, double wishbone at the back.
    - Weight distribution is 53/47 front/rear
    - Center of gravity height = 460mm (for reference STI is 534, GTR is 495mm)
    - Showa dampers in the "basic" suspension, TRD optional suspension has Sachs shocks and adjustable ride height

  6. #26
    Captain Planet tq3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OC CA
    Posts
    1,667
    Liked
    366 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    Sounds like its going to closely rival the S2000, except it has 2 more seats, a hardtop, lower redline and power, as well as some bootspace

    Interesting. I drove this thing in Gran Turismo 5 and it wasn't that amazing

    Not sure if this is a troll post or not. 40 less horsepower, probably a ****ty economy-oriented gearbox and near identical weight and you think it can compete with the S2000? Definitely not.
    Do you understand?

  7. #27
    w00t Nurburgring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    111 times

    Default

    It will actually share gearbox with the S2000, Aisin AZ6. I doubt they will **** up the ratios.

    I don`t think it will be nearly as fast as a stock S2000, not only because of -40hp but because I don`t think the suspension and chasis rigidity will come close.

    It will be a lot cheaper though (new vs new) and should be a better daily driver because of 4 seats, trunk, folding rear seats, etc.

  8. #28
    Senior Member WLopez34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    271
    Liked
    15 times

    Default

    Why they are not offering a turbo charged 300HP option is beyond me...

  9. #29
    Captain Planet tq3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OC CA
    Posts
    1,667
    Liked
    366 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    It will actually share gearbox with the S2000, Aisin AZ6. I doubt they will **** up the ratios.

    I don`t think it will be nearly as fast as a stock S2000, not only because of -40hp but because I don`t think the suspension and chasis rigidity will come close.

    It will be a lot cheaper though (new vs new) and should be a better daily driver because of 4 seats, trunk, folding rear seats, etc.
    This car will be a Mazda RX-8 with better gas mileage and probably slightly less performance. Which isn't bad, but its not in the same market as the S2000. Miata/Solstice/Genesis competition for sure. I'm not expecting the next "best" thing, personally. Toyota somehow manages to kill anything/everything good going for them anyways. And we haven't exactly seen anything great from Scion. I want it to be good, I just can't see it.
    Do you understand?

  10. #30
    Captain Planet tq3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OC CA
    Posts
    1,667
    Liked
    366 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLopez34 View Post
    Why they are not offering a turbo charged 300HP option is beyond me...
    Because noobs would kill themselves in it. And we don't want that.
    Do you understand?

  11. #31
    Gearhead gixxer_drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    649
    Liked
    47 times

    Default

    I like old cars, manufacturers must hate me.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Toyota somehow manages to kill anything/everything good going for them anyways.
    Toyota is the GM of Japan. Everything is designed for the lowest common denominator driver. Any good idea will be dumbed down before it reaches production. How this company actually built the last Supra Turbo is beyond me. That car is the exception that proves the rule like the Z06 is the exception that proves the rule at GM.

    Now if Honda would just start building sports cars again . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  13. #33
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    I don`t think it will be nearly as fast as a stock S2000, not only because of -40hp but because I don`t think the suspension and chasis rigidity will come close.
    Why do you think chassis rigidity will be worse in a 10+ year newer design coupe than an S2K?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Why do you think chassis rigidity will be worse in a 10+ year newer design coupe than an S2K?
    I don't think cars are getting better, generally; I think they are getting worse. The pinnacle of automotive engineering ran from about 1991 through 2006. Now the whole focus is on green, hybrid, electric crap. It's ruining the whole automotive industry. The public cares more if they can plug their iPod into the car than how the drivetrain is designed. Do you think a new Toyota design is better than a 10 year old Honda design? I don't.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  15. #35
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Doubt it will have decent suspension... All the Subi's are strut-type, as are virtually all Toyotas.....
    Really? There's a pretty long list of 'decent' cars with strut front suspensions...starting with the 911, M3, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I don't think cars are getting better, generally; I think they are getting worse. The pinnacle of automotive engineering ran from about 1991 through 2006. Now the whole focus is on green, hybrid, electric crap. It's ruining the whole automotive industry. The public cares more if they can plug their iPod into the car than how the drivetrain is designed. Do you think a new Toyota design is better than a 10 year old Honda design? I don't.
    I am not sure this relates to chassis rigidity or improved materials and engineering methods. The RX8 for example was 50+% stiffer than the FD RX7, even though it was a 4 door with no B pillar. That's pretty impressive, even if the car overall was underpowered.

  16. #36
    Captain Planet tq3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OC CA
    Posts
    1,667
    Liked
    366 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Really? There's a pretty long list of 'decent' cars with strut front suspensions...starting with the 911, M3, etc.
    Yeah but none of those are made by Toyota/Subaru. lol.
    Do you understand?

  17. #37
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Yeah but none of those are made by Toyota/Subaru. lol.
    I just realized I have inadvertently stepped into the temple of VTEC. Logic has no place here.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I am not sure this relates to chassis rigidity or improved materials and engineering methods. The RX8 for example was 50+% stiffer than the FD RX7, even though it was a 4 door with no B pillar. That's pretty impressive, even if the car overall was underpowered.
    And an Evo X is more rigid than an Evo IX. But it also weighs 300 lbs. more because it has 18,000 air bags an a lot of other useless crap.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  19. #39
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Really? There's a pretty long list of 'decent' cars with strut front suspensions...
    ...that would all be better cars with upper & lower A-arms.

  20. #40
    Junior Member maxrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    Found some info on the "Customize / Competition" model:

    - Steel Wheels
    - AC Delete
    - Stereo Delete
    - Floor NHVB Padding Delete

    Its my guess that the US market won't get anything this bare bone for competition but I could be wrong.

    Maxrev.net : 2008 AJ-Racing / Evasive Long Beach GP Time Attack!!!
    AJ-Racing / Evasive Motorsports Super Lap Battle 2008
    2007 2006 2005

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts