Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tq3z
  • 1 Post By Kam
  • 1 Post By SteveLevin

Thread: Top Gear US is over...

Liked
    609 times

Default Top Gear US is over...

Which makes me sad. I actually quite enjoyed it the last couple of seasons; there was good chemistry there.

But the real question is... who was the Stig?

Steve

Liked
    381 times

Well it was obviously Richard who had to take time from posting on these forums just to play the role.

expect 2016 to be a closeout year for F1 spoilers and douchebag posts at younger forum members again.
    SteveLevin and j0nwall like this.
    Do you understand?

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    douchebag posts at younger forum members again.
    "HOW DARE YOU POST A FOR SALE AD AS YOUR FIRST POST!! YOU ARE A TERRORIST AND A PLAGUE ON SOCIETY!!!"

I watched all of one episode of Top Gear USA and found it cringe-worthy. Like witnessing a couple get into a heated argument while you're over for dinner.
    illwillem likes this.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    2364 times

After watching Top Gear BBC, the U.S. version usually disappointed. It just seemed rather contrived by comparison.

Liked
    609 times

Given what was a much smaller budget, I thought it did well. Great? Perhaps not... but certainly better than more episodes of "Naked and Afraid" or "Redneck Island."

And to be honest, the last few seasons of Top Gear felt tired as well. '04-'08 were probably the best years of the show.

Steve
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    813 times

I lost interest in it, I don't even know when it is on or what channel, the US version. A number of people I share my car/track hobby with have met Rutledge here in ATL. They all say he's genuine, friendly guy.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    53 times

I watched multiple episodes in the first year, maybe year and half, and although it was usually ok, never great. Though I did like Rutledge, didn't think the three ever had the chemistry to pull it off.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Given what was a much smaller budget, I thought it did well. Great? Perhaps not... but certainly better than more episodes of "Naked and Afraid" or "Redneck Island."

And to be honest, the last few seasons of Top Gear felt tired as well. '04-'08 were probably the best years of the show.

Steve
    Most people don't understand the difference budgets make. TGUK is/was a huge cash cow for the BBC so they also got a huge budget. All those cool shots take time and or crew and that takes money. Then there's the world travel part. And then there's the budget for hosts which was another place the US version was lacking. I do agree the US hosts were getting better as time went on but they will always be compared to the UK hosts.

I wish the US version would have kept the star in a reasonably priced car since they copied just about every other bit from TGUK.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread