+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By SDSUsnowboards

Thread: Tires that get better with age...

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Default Tires that get better with age...

Thought this was kind of cool. should be interesting to see how this tech trickles down

New Michelin tire improves as it ages - Autoblog

We don't often cover tires, but a new model from Michelin, Premier A/S with EverGrip, has us at least a little curious. That's because the French tiremaker claims they're not just new tires, but offer "truly revolutionary advancements in tire technology" that are "...able to break the traditional paradigm."

That somewhat hyperbolic statement could have some substance behind it, though, because the company's latest black rubber hoops have been engineered in a brand-new way to fight the bugbear of all tires: a steep loss in performance as they wear, a condition that's especially pronounced in wet conditions. Two of the enablers are ingredients in the rubber compound, one being "extreme amounts" of silica to enhance road adhesion, the other being sunflower oil to maintain the tire's flexibility and grip in cold weather. A new way of laying the rubber strands means the silica and sunflower get more evenly distributed throughout the tire.

One of the mechanical innovations is a groove design that gets wider as the tire wears down. As the depth of a tread channel decreases, which traditionally means a decrease in its ability to drive water away from the contact patch, the channel gets wider to make up for it. Furthermore, another set of more than 150 grooves beneath the outer layers are revealed as the tire wears, helping to keep wet-weather grip near brand-new-tire levels.

Liked
    97 times

Maybe Michelin will be next F1 tire supplier now

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Leave it to the French to model tires after their wine. Soon, they will have a model that reeks of cheese and says rude things after each heat cycle.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    750 times

I spent the extra for a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s for the e30. I read about a similar formula before I bought them. I don't gush about tires, especially all-seasons, but these tires have been fantastic. In the heavy rain, the extreme cold snap we had last week, comfortable, crisp turn in similar to an extreme performance summer tire. Under braking, they are very very good, too. Easy to read through the steering. They replaced StarSpecs on the car and the performance level hasn't dropped drastically at all. Made just down the road a bit in South Carolina, too.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2262 times

I got excited when I read the headline, but these tires are strictly for street use. The groove that gets wider as the tread wears means the tread blocks are larger at the top than they are at the base, which means they'll be squirmy when pushed hard.

Wake me when they build an R compound that ages as well as cabernet.

+ Reply to Thread