+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CharleyH
  • 1 Post By CoolTech

Thread: Tires

Liked
    0 times

Default Tires

I went to my first track day last year and used last years street tires on an extra
    set of wheels I acquired. The rear tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports)
    overheated and quarter sized chunks of rubber came off down to the chord.
    My question is this. Is it safe to buy 2 Toyo Proxes R888 to run on the rear and
    use the Pilot Super Sports on the front? 2005 Acura TSX.

Liked
    1488 times

You'll likely have a push. Until the R888 cycle out, then you might get way way loose.

Also, I'd be expecting the fronts to be the ones to have the harder life on a FWD car. I'd favor getting a full set of r compounds. If you're on a budget, federal rsrr are damn cheap and shouldn't chunk. They are silly loud on the freeway though.

Liked
    2513 times

I wouldn’t mix and match for track. Too unpredictable.

PSS is a great street tire but sucks for track. I would buy 2 more PSS and use for street. And 4 RSRR (or RS4, RE71R,
    Nt02, RC1, if you got the money) like Rob said and wheels just for track.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    241 times

Replacing tires often is the “price of admission “ to this sport. At first it is painful, but soon you won’t think twice about it. Having decent rubber is important, so I would recommend just replacing the set. I don’t agree with Rob about going directly to a set of R compound tires. Most people recommend staying on street tires for at least a year so you can learn car control skills. Street tires usually communicate more with the driver (they squeal) than R compounds do. Also since street tires have less grip it is safer to learn the limits of your car at lower and safer speeds.

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyH; 04-13-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Replacing tires often is the “price of admission “ to this sport. At first it is painful, but soon you won’t think twice about it. Having decent rubber is important, so I would recommend just replacing the set. I don’t agree with Rob about going directly to a set of R compound tires. Most people recommend staying on street tires for at least a year so you can learn car control skills. Street tires usually communicate more with the driver (they squeal) than R compounds do. Also since street tires have less grip it is safer to learn the limits of your car at lower and safer speeds.

Charley
    Yep, there's a lot of truth here.

Liked
    2513 times

the line between R-comp and street tire blurred long time ago. in fact, today's super 200tw (RE71R, Rival-S, etc) are stickier than standard r-comp (NT01, R888, RC1)........
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1488 times

He needs something that won't chunk. A talky tire is nice, but if he's chunking I figure we should take care of that.

Liked
    1 times

Not to take anything away from what's already been mentioned but when I started I was in a similar position with a fwd car. I mixed and matched (300 and 200 treadwear tires). Put the stickier tires in back so it was more predictable. It will push, but you're still learning so it should be fine. I would also stay away from r-compounds until you can really jam on some 180-200 treadwear tires (Rs-4, etc.)

Liked
    0 times

I think the chunking has another cause. Something is going on. The majority of weight on that car is up front, as are the drive wheels. For a first day you also just aren't going that fast. How old were the tires? What is your tire pressure and alignment? I have ran PSS on the track often with no issues.

Liked
    0 times

FWIW the PSS is a very predictable and consistent tire. I think it is a great tire for beginners. More grip is not good here IMO.

Liked
    86 times

One of the very fastest drivers I've ever met is an older (i.e. experienced) guy out at Spring Mountain. I once asked him how he became so good at car control. His answer was that when he first started racing, his coach simply never allowed him to use race tires. For the first year, he was often getting his ass kicked and mid-way through the season he was begging for race tires but his coach said no. As he tells the story, on the second season, he was finally allowed to run race tires and he won his first 3 races that season....
    ucfbrett likes this.

+ Reply to Thread