+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tips from the SCCA Cal Club F&C Newsletter

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    While there are always gray areas in the rules to exploit even if you are fighting for a national championship at the runoffs I'm pretty sure there is "still" no prize money and you are "still" racing for a plastic trophy. The ultimate penalty in our sport is "death." It is important to keep the "red mist" in check and keep things in perspective.
    There is product contingency, some prize money from sponsors and actually pretty decent awards, but still none of them are worth dying for.

That raises an interesting philosphical question; how much is worth dying for?

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    No. My pass was a clear violation. It was on one of the tight turns at HPT. The flag station was on the outside of the turn. I was riding one of the Tracy's bumpers looking to the inside to pass. The flag was visible on my in-car video, but hard to see due to where my eyes were focused on making the pass coupled with the fact that it just came out and partly blocked by the car I was chasing, but it was there. When I got to the next flag station I got that "pit" in my stomach when I saw the yellow flag there. It was then that I realized I may have passed under yellow, but I was still not sure. When the steward approached me in impound after the race with the little red slip in hand I then knew....

Oli
    If you realize the error (or want to take action out of an abundance of caution), can you relinquish the position and avoid the penalty? Have seen this in racing when someone straight lines a chicane or hops a curb, but not sure if hit applies to yellow flags.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    If you realize the error (or want to take action out of an abundance of caution), can you relinquish the position and avoid the penalty? Have seen this in racing when someone straight lines a chicane or hops a curb, but not sure if hit applies to yellow flags.
    I probably could have given back the position, but I did not know for sure if I passed under yellow or not. Even if I gave it back, I might have been penalized anyway. It is hard to tell what the stewards will do. I have been passed under yellow before and fought with the offending driver to get my position back and did, and he never got penalized.

I know something similar happened to Burgoon last year. You can never be sure how these things will go down. Officiating is never perfect and often flawed, but that is true with all sporting avocations.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2