+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Thinking about selling my race car and renting instead....

Liked
    237 times

Default Thinking about selling my race car and renting instead....

Lately, I've been thinking about selling my Spec Miata and just renting an SM, RX-7, or buying a seat on a Chumpcar/Lemons team whenever I want to go racing. I really like my car and it's never been better but I guess the hassle/cost/logistics of owning, maintaining, and transporting a race car since 2009 has kind of worn me out. I figure I'd sell the SM, trailer, and truck and build a street-legal track car (probably an e36 M3) for track days when I'm not racing.

What do you guys think? Anyone here been in a similar situation?
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 03-20-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Liked
    2282 times

Depends on often you race it. And if you wanna be a front runner. As many rental SM are crap.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    744 times

I am interested to know how well this would work out...

Among time and space limitations, having my own racecar and hauler seems like pipe dream most of the time. I am happy when I can get out to an HPDE, but it feels a bit empty because of my street car duality.
    Yer pal,
    Force

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Renting definitely easier. Cheaper if you are only doing 2-4 races a year and arent chasing wins in SM. The exception is SuperMiata where all the rentals are capable of winning. SPM is cheaper to /build run so you can buy a front running car in about 10 weekend rentals.

You might consider looking for a local SM shop that has a multi car trailer for arrive and drive service. Iron Canyon maybe?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    439 times

After running 8-9 LeMons/Chump races in my own car, I have rented a seat, or a whole car for the last 3-4 races. It ends up being cheaper in the long run, and way more stress free and therefore more fun. I have hooked up with an awesome car owner however, and I know that not all of these types of arraigments work out well.

The main factor in renting for me is being able to drive tracks long distances away from my house, w/o having to take any time off of work. We are flying out tonight for the Sears Pointless race this weekend with 180+ entrants

The first question everyone asks is "what if you crash it?" My reply is, "I have to fix it. But if I crash my own car I have to fix it as well"

Just make sure to have a clear understanding about EVERYTHING if you are renting.

Good luck

Liked
    299 times

Lots of great points on not owning a racecar/trailer/truck. I like the one about going to far away tracks and not needing to take 2-3 days off just to get there. The logistics, time, and energy to drive there and drive back. Instead just fly in to whichever track you want to visit in the USA and have them pick you up or something to that effect. I am sure there is a cut off point for renting, where it would just be cheaper to just own the damn car. $1000/day x 30 days = Truck ($10-15k) + Hauler ($2-3K)+ Racecar ($8k)+ Cost of tracking, consumables, fuel ($5k). So if you plan on racing just 5 days or less out of the year, maybe cheaper to rent. Last you 6 years. Another benefit in renting is that you can rent all sorts of cars and not tied down racing that one car you own. Pretty much stuck with it.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    299 times

On the other hand, if you are those people who already own a truck and trailer and have space for another racecar, then I guess just buying a racecar makes sense too. If you wreck or cause minor damage to the rental or your own car, you still have to pay to fix it anyway so moot point.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    1486 times

Being the high quality driver that I am, the big problem I have with renting, especially when going to distant venues, is that my brain is too small to figure out the track at the same time I'm trying to figure out the car.

Liked
    2282 times

most of you agree renting is better than owning a race car, but why does all of you own race cars ?
    krazik and Blackbird like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    most of you agree renting is better than owning a race car, but why does all of you own race cars ?
    If you want something done right...

Liked
    2242 times

^^ Precisely.

I'd rather own.

Liked
    2 times

Makes a lot of sense in some respects. Especially the logistics and pain in the butt of getting loaded up and to the track for the weekend. And then home again.

But part of the fun of owning is the project aspect...tinkering and continually improving the racecar trying to get it just right. Makes for some fun on non-race weekends.

Liked
    130 times

arrive and drive is a wonderful thing, and I'm able to spend more time with the family not having to prep the car.

Liked
    130 times

also if selection of rental cars suck you can buy your own car and pay a shop you trust to prep, bring to the track and support. yes it's more $, but depending on what you value your free time at, it still can be cheaper.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    also if selection of rental cars suck you can buy your own car and pay a shop you trust to prep, bring to the track and support. yes it's more $, but depending on what you value your free time at, it still can be cheaper.
    That's what I did for my short misadventure into open wheel racing. Bought an old Formula Mazda, stored it at a shop at Willow Springs, and paid them for arrive and drive, and trackside support.

One weekend, including Friday open test, I raced my Formula Mazda at Sonoma Raceway with Formula Car Challenge, which runs at NASA events. My trackside support guy, a nice young mechanic, and his dad, who is a very seasoned race mechanic and came along for free, towed the race car in my ex-fatbillybob Suburban and trailer, from WSIR to Sonoma and back. I flew up to San Francisco with my son, and rented a car to drive to Sonoma. I got 2 hotel rooms for us. I took everybody out to nice dinners because mechanic's dad was helping out for free. One set of Goodyear Eagle slicks for the FM race weekend, race weekend entry fee, open test day fee, Sonoma garage rental, gas for Suburban round-trip 800 miles at 9 mpg, yada, yada, yada. A nice dinner at the Top of the Mark in S.F. with my son on the way home.

That weekend cost $8,000- in a race car that I owned. Arrive and drive . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-23-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    130 times

You got fleeced LOL. I could do a ring weekend for less than 8k.

And I'm not saying it's cheap. If you're trying to save money, stop now. What you save from arrive and drive are a lot of things, but money isn't one of them. Costs vary greatly and are controlled by a lot of things.
    Pure EvoIX likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

You got fleeced LOL. I could do a ring weekend for less than 8k.
    The only real difference in cost between a weekend at Sonoma and a weekend at the Ring is higher airfare to Germany. What else is different? Plus, if you fly to Germany and rent a race car, you don't have to pay somebody to tow your race car 800 miles round trip, pay for their hotel room and meals, etc.. I should have gone to the Ring instead. It would have been cheaper . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-23-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    237 times

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on doing a few vintage races this year with VARA in a rental BMW 2002. It'll give me a taste of arrive and drive from a cost and convenience perspective.

Like many folks these days, free time always seems to be in short supply. Too many 12-14 hour work days.
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 03-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    115 times

I'm able to spend more time with the family not having to prep the car.
    ^^^why we own race cars.
    krazik likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

arrive and drive is a wonderful thing, and I'm able to spend more time with the family not having to prep the car.
    Your case is a bit different, as you have a long time relationship with the builder who did a really nice job on the car too.
    Far cry from many rentals, which as William pointed out, are crap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast