+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: Think about servicing your trailers!

Liked
    1486 times

Default Think about servicing your trailers!

One of my T1 compadres lost his trailer and had to do a two footed shuffle to get back on the road again. It is a real pain when your trailer dies on the side of the road. His event got me thinking and checking my trailer the wheel bearings were loose. They all got changed out and greased for the next couple of years. Giving your trailer the once over twice is a good idea.
    Gian likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Carl -

How often does a trailer need service? Mine is almost brand new, having been driven round-trip from WSIR once to Sonoma and once to Buttonwillow, plus a couple of trips between WSIR and Simi Valley to have custom interior stuff installed. I have one spare trailer wheel/tire inside.

It's a small double-axle 16 x 7 V-nose Haulmark with electronic brakes. Fully loaded it weighs no more than 5,500 lbs. towing the Formula Mazda.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 07-14-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

In my short towing career. I know of 3 bearing and 5 tire failure on a trailer.
    Because trailer is back there and you can't feel wheel vibration. You almost always find out too late. And it is not something AAA can come out and fix it for you. It almost always turn into a big issue.

Richard. When they are new, they put in some cheapo grease. I would have grease replaced within a year. Then I would just grease them using a grease gun every year. It should be find for few years.

Always carry a spare hub. Many auto parts store won't carry the exact same one you got.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    72 times

Any details on what failed and how he was able to fit it and get moving again?

Liked
    2243 times

The rule of thumb for regular use to and from the track is once a year, have the bearings serviced and the brakes adjusted/replaced. Mine is past due, which is a good example of the shoemaker going barefoot.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The rule of thumb for regular use to and from the track is once a year, have the bearings serviced and the brakes adjusted/replaced. Mine is past due, which is a good example of the shoemaker going barefoot.
    That's a good rule. Once a year is good for servicing the bearings, for most all trailers unless you’re going cost to cost often. Then every 6 months.
    But you should check it over every 6 month. Look for cracks in the frame (mostly in the tongue area). Look at Brakes, suspension & tires too. Like William pointed out. by the time something happens. It's too late.

On new trailers, keep an eye on tires. Alignment issues on new trailers have been something we see once and awhile. Sometimes you don't see it till the warranty is out.
    Last edited by Gian; 07-14-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    7 times

i was talking to a guy at work who tows a trailer for his horses. once a year for repacking his wheel bearings, tires take a beating with horses so no set time for tire replacement. he carries one spare trailer wheel with tire and a 20,000 lb jack... dunno if he was being serious about the jack, but i think he is. how else is he gonna change a tire on the trailer. he said his trailer with horses and gear is 15k lbs... one avg sized horse is about 1000 lbs.
    Last edited by julian; 07-14-2012 at 11:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread