+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tesla libel suit over BBC's 'Top Gear' dismissed by U.K. appeals court

Liked
    2243 times

Default Tesla libel suit over BBC's 'Top Gear' dismissed by U.K. appeals court

LONDON (Bloomberg) -- A U.K. appeals court dismissed a libel lawsuit from Tesla Motors Inc., a maker of electric vehicles led by billionaire Elon Musk, against the British Broadcasting Corp. show "Top Gear."

The court rejected Tesla's appeal of last year's decision to strike out its "libel and malicious falsehood" case against the BBC. The California-based company said "Top Gear" faked a scene that appeared to show a Tesla Roadster running out of power, which led to lower sales.

The "Top Gear" review wouldn't have misled "a reasonable viewer" into thinking the Tesla car's range was less than the company's estimate of "200 miles under normal driving conditions," Martin Moore-Bick, an appeals court judge in London, said in his decision today.

Musk last month told Bloomberg Television that a story by The New York Times' reporter John M. Broder, which claimed that the car-maker's Model S sedan fell short of its estimated range, was "fake."

"I am pleased that the Appeal Court has upheld the previous ruling and the case has been struck out," Andy Wilman, executive producer of "Top Gear," said in an e-mailed statement today. "I'd also like to apologize to the judges for making them have to watch so much 'Top Gear.'"

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2Mho7hMVH
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

Liked
    1477 times

Maybe that's why Gordon's Model S cost so much. He had to support Tesla's failed litigation in England.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread