+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Terrifying accident at the GP of Long Beach, race control / flagging failure

Liked
    609 times

I'm woth Rob in that the corner/tow workers shouldn't have attempted to do anything -- and most impotantly, have known that if they made that call everyone would have their back.

It's just like I tell guys who work for me -- "I will back you 110% on any call you make as long as you do me the courtesy of having a reason you are happy with me taking to my boss."

You can't expect Race Control to be omniscient, and the workers should have had the confidence to know if they said "hey, this tow would be crazy" that Race Control would be like "okay, thanks for the heads up, standby"

Steve
    robburgoon, albertg and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    All your opinions are great, but there is a lot of stuff you are very unaware of. I was the Corner Captain at Turn 8. I did everything in my power to protect the exposed Emergency Workers. We are at the mercy of the people Operating in Race Control to throw Red Flags, etc. All you SCCA and Cal Club Haters can go **** yourselves. We risk our lives to keep you racers safe, then you come out and accuse us of doing something wrong... pisses me off.... Rob, you are a bigger ass than I gave you credit for. This race was operated by TOYOTA... all we did was work the race. I was responsible for the Corner, I stood in the middle of the track to try and get drivers to slow. You really need to get away from the CAL CLUB hating and blaming. Not one of you has even asked about the health of the tow guy...

Mark Smith
    1. you are right Rob is a dick.

2. you are wrong everything else. no one here blasted corner workers. all track guys/gals do appreciate corner workers. and I am not aware of any SCCA / Cal Club haters (ok, I will give you Rob, but he hates every group).

3. I will be the dick here. But as a corner captain for T8. isn't it YOUR responsibility (if not yours, I apologize) to tell the exposed Emergency Workers NOT to get out and onto a blind corner without protection ? I would not of give a FUC* about what the race control says. if it is your guys on the line, it is your responsibility

4. don't blame race control. They can't possibly know everything. you need to use your own judgement. Whoever is the head honcho locally is responsible.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-18-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    450 times

Everyone is quick to point fingers and can argue over what person should have done what differently. The fact is that most people will agree that the process in place regarding this situation created a big safety risk. That is where the people actually involved with an incident like this, that have first hand knowledge of the situation, should sit down and create or alter a process to try to mitigate it from happening again.

**** happens, and you learn from it and become better. If not, we all die.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    4. don't blame race control. They can't possibly know everything.
    Disagree about this one, this isn't a NASA weekend at BRP, the race is televised from every angle possible and broadcasted live everywhere around the track on giant screens.
    I'm positive race control had no problem viewing the corner from more than one angle, every spectator around the track and INSIDE the convention center did.
    They also had more than enough time to assess the situation, I don't know what lap time the FR-S turns around the LBGP course but I'm going to assume it's at least 1:3x.xx, waaay more than enough time to go FCY and pull out the safety car to slow the field down to a crawl.
    The decision to send the crew to this ill recovery attempt was based on keeping the tight schedule of the weekend and TV viewers happy.
    So much for that..

Liked
    2343 times

I don't know if his Facebook post is publically visible or not, but here is a post by Matt Geier. He typically works towing for Cal Club and I assume he is one of the guys who was actually on the scene during this incident. I know Matt well. He crewed for me at the 2010 SCCA Runoffs and then later at World Challenge. He is a good guy as are all the Cal Club workers.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook .com%2Ftooshaggy%2Fposts%2F1020821473203 3735&width=500" width="500" height="294" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2343 times

I don't know if his Facebook post is publically visible or not, but here is a post by Matt Geier. He typically works towing for Cal Club and I assume he is one of the guys who was actually on the scene during this incident. I know Matt well. He crewed for me at the 2010 SCCA Runoffs and then later at World Challenge. He is a good guy as are all the Cal Club workers.

https://www.facebook.com/tooshaggy?fref=nf
    Last edited by Olitho; 04-19-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1495 times

"Just like I was hoping, he is a man and we talked out the aweful incident "

Lord have mercy, thank goodness it wasn't a woman driver.
    J. Tyler and ucfbrett like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

I hope that it's okay, but for the benefit of those who are not on FB, this was the message Oli was linking to -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Geier, on FB
    I talked to Sean Patrick Flanery last night for almost an hour.
    Just like I was hoping, he is a man and we talked out the aweful incident during the Toyota Pro Celebrity race on Saturday. Here are the facts:
    1. The incient should have been a Full Course Yellow. I was just about to ask for it to be upgraded to that. We both agree that it should have been a FCY.
    2. Sean was not aware that A. There was a wrecker on rthe track. B. There was more than one car wrecked in turn 8.
    3. Everyone was overdriving the yellow because they were not aware there was another car wrecked further down stream and they are allowed to go back to racing after the scene of the wreck. They all thought the car in the tires at turn 8 was the only car wrecked and they were all trying to go back racing after it. Unfortunately we were there with Mr. Carter’s car.
    4. Sean did not know he hit a track worker. He heard a worker got knocked down but was not made aware that it was from his crash until after the press conference. After that he was very worried and was asking hourly if the worker was OK.
    Sean understands racing. His father was a chief steward for SCCA in the 60’s.
    We are both sorry about the whole incident and we are glad it was not more tragic.

Liked
    1495 times

I like how the driver is being praised by the workers for owning up to his mistakes while the workers involved aren't doing the same.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    99 times

So many walls, Corner working Long Beach must be a lot of work!
    maybe the big screens could flash the blind turn #s when workers are on track to the drivers?
    corner workers have to expect anything.
    https://youtu.be/UWpSJ0d4F1I
    in truck
    https://youtu.be/f0K3kplT6RY
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2