+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    I thought it was a Civc that won last year?
    As a former CRX owner, they're practically the same thing . . . Civics must be cheater cars too.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    114 times

^ isn't a CRX significantly lighter? with the disadvantage of being shaped like a box?

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    ^ isn't a CRX significantly lighter? with the disadvantage of being shaped like a box?
    Alright already, I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Honda race cars. I'm just trying to deflect attention away from Miatas. I don't want anymore weight or points or whatever added to my car. I just started racing it as it is.
    Neocataboi likes this.

Liked
    299 times

lol. Serious question. How does one come about making such rule changes regarding adding ballast due to the same model/car winning year after year. Even though they are legal under the rules. What if a driver is just really really really good/fast/talented/senna like/etc. They are gonna keep penalizing the winning driver/car to slow them down? So essentially each subsequent year will be harder and harder to win with a previous winning car. And then the driver makes up for it with talent, then gets further points added/weight added the following year or two. When does this cycle end, til they stop winning? lol.

So if you are in the lead, is it in your best interest to sand bag and just barely win so you don't screw yourself for next year or the year after. If you win be 10, 20 30s, I am willing to bet its gonna raise some flags for next year's rules, no?
    Last edited by Pure EvoIX; 09-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    421 times

That's the explanation I got for a certain Miata Challenge rule I disagreed with. Handicap a faster driver.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    lol. Serious question. How does one come about making such rule changes regarding adding ballast due to the same model/car winning year after year. Even though they are legal under the rules. What if a driver is just really really really good/fast/talented/senna like/etc. They are gonna keep penalizing the winning driver/car to slow them down? So essentially each subsequent year will be harder and harder to win with a previous winning car. And then the driver makes up for it with talent, then gets further points added/weight added the following year or two. When does this cycle end, til they stop winning? lol.

So if you are in the lead, is it in your best interest to sand bag and just barely win so you don't screw yourself for next year or the year after. If you win be 10, 20 30s, I am willing to bet its gonna raise some flags for next year's rules, no?
    I had a talk with the owners and head guys at NASA after my race. They congratulated me and jokingly suggested I maybe back off a bit and make it at least look close. Better for TV and all.
    bawareca, Neocataboi and Gian like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    744 times

Emilio turned on Crusher's headlights to indicate he was driving in 'beast mode'.
    Neocataboi likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Tom driving rig to Hallett, AR. I'm back in LA.
    Hmmm...Tom in Arkansas. I foresee a flurry of profane Facebook posts in the near future.
    Neocataboi likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1477 times

Tom driving rig to Hallett, AR. I'm back in LA.
    What are you going to be doing at Hallett?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    What are you going to be doing at Hallett?
    Drinking beer while Sonny and Tom goof off on track

Miatas@Hallett X
    Miatas at Hallett X - MX-5 Miata Forum
    Pure EvoIX and Neocataboi like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    As a former CRX owner, they're practically the same thing . . . Civics must be cheater cars too.
    LOL, off topic: Just looked them up, a second gen CRX HF is 1715lbs curb weight, stock.

Liked
    1477 times

Drinking beer while Sonny and Tom goof off on track

Miatas@Hallett X
    Miatas at Hallett X - MX-5 Miata Forum
    Don't start drinking too early in the day. I predict you will want to get into Crusher and goof off at Hallett too. Have you ever been there before?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    LOL, off topic: Just looked them up, a second gen CRX HF is 1715lbs curb weight, stock.
    Yes but how much did the same year base Civic weigh? My '91 CRX Si weighed around 2100 IIRC and they were heavier than the '88-'89 which looked the same.

edit: The weight range for '85 Civic and CRXs was 1750 to 2100. Don't forget that range includes a 5 door, possibly 4wd wagon but I don't see many of those at the track.
    Last edited by Red_5; 09-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post

If you watch Grand AM series(and many other series around the world) you can see that happens every race.I believe that last year BMW M3s were "awarded" 55+lbs ballast and ridiculous restrictors.As much as unfair it may look unfair,governing bodies try to get away from some 2001-2005 F1 situations.

Liked
    2400 times

Default 2012 NASA nationals PTC race

If the video breaks up, try reloading the page. The file was somehow corrupted a little so there it's not perfect but it will play all the way through with just the exposure flicklering here and there

At the start I knew the Mustang would try the same pass in the grass move he got away with Thursday so I made a plan to thwart it. The first time he hit me medium hard, I was OK. He bounced off and came back two more times. The third hit was really hard, jerked the wheel in my hand and sent a puff of tire smoke up. I backed off then as I realized this guy would simply use the entire weight of his car as a battering ram and take me completely out. At that point the weight of his car had shoved me away from the edge of the track where I was stationed enough for him to get a tire on and rocket past. By then though, we were close enough to the braking zone for China Beach that I could stay with him. He stays amongst the leaders for another lap and tries again at China Beach. I fight hard to get past and make it stick this time.

The PTB Acura TSX may have been the team mate of the PTC Hart Racing Acura RSX that was up front. In any case, the PTB Acura blocked like crazy for three laps. Way more power but much slower through the technical woods section. Finally he blew Keyhole under braking and left the door open. I get under and scoot past. Being allowed only a single defending move, I run down the center going into China Beach. The TSX moves left on the preferred line. I shut the door. That's it. Once I can get to Madness (T5) in front, I know I'm free. I felt like the back section between Madness and T11 were my sanctuary. Chase Crusher into the woods and never see it again

The PTB leader in the white civic puts up a little bit of a fight. He leaves just enough room in the Carousel for me to get a nose under. We enter the front straight overlapping. At this point I can't run him wide. I get a bit lucky as we're catching a slow PTF Protege on the right. I have to move left to pass and that pinches the PTB Civics line for T1. He checks up, I scoot through at full speed and it's done. Now it's time hunt down the white RSX leading my class and the race overall about 3 sec up the road. Once I'm clear of traffic, it only takes me one lap to close the gap. I catch him under braking for Keyhole as he leaves the door open a bit. Just enough for me to present myself and force him to leave me "racing room". The RSX closes the door anyway and we rub. I get past at the apex. The RSX recovers and gets a good run off the turn on my left side. I use a slower PTE RX7 to shut that door. That makes the RSX breathe the throttle and scoot to my right. Just as he does that I move all the way right to block at the kink halfway down the straight. I don't react quickly enough and he's able to present before I get there so I have to leave the door open on the right. He pulls past and is ahead on the inside for the braking zone for China Beach. We have "The" big braking duel there. I get overlapped with him and leave room at the apex. He hits me again anyway, twice. From here I have the inside for Madness (T5) and its over. The RSX stays close for about a lap but once I get a clear track, I turn in the room key and check out.

Last edited by emilio700; 09-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Bueller, DutchOven and JJ1 like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    464 times

You are like a Machine! Nice job!!

At 25:17 you can see where I got my Miata tramp stamp. I was giving way for the RSX and the #4 car tryed to go through with him. But I had only left room for one car. To tell the truth. I didn't see him till he was alread there.

In hind site, if I would have known that was the PTC RSX. I would have made him wait one more turn before I gave way.
    Last edited by Gian; 09-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Yes but how much did the same year base Civic weigh? My '91 CRX Si weighed around 2100 IIRC and they were heavier than the '88-'89 which looked the same.

edit: The weight range for '85 Civic and CRXs was 1750 to 2100. Don't forget that range includes a 5 door, possibly 4wd wagon but I don't see many of those at the track.
    As I recall the CRX is 300lbs lighter then the Civic of the same year. But thats going off memory and I am old.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1429 times

Ready to put that front bumper support back in yet? I've had good luck beating on out of class cars that are being troublesome. You can just pound on them until they decide the best option is to let the faster out of class miata by.

Not sure you quite earned racing room at the keyhole. Doesn't look like your wheel got to his door so he was right in closing the door. Still worked though!
    Last edited by robburgoon; 09-11-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Ready to put that front bumper support back in yet?
    We have front and rear bumper supports in there and used them both quite a bit. Notice me giving Croiset a nudge down the front straight on lap 1 and him giving me the bump signal?

I have some 4lb dry carbon doors but they won't go onto Crusher until its a TTS car next year with a turbo. Right now, I still need the late 90's era side impact beams and a steel skin over them.

Chrome horn FTW.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

We have front and rear bumper supports in there and used them both quite a bit. Notice me giving Croiset a nudge down the front straight on lap 1 and him giving me the bump signal?

I have some 4lb dry carbon doors but they won't go onto Crusher until its a TTS car next year with a turbo. Right now, I still need the late 90's era side impact beams and a steel skin over them.

Chrome horn FTW.
    I noticed you pushing Jeremy. Other than that, it was hard to tell who else you pushed. So this car is going to be a TTS car next year? What are the plans? Maybe some ST2 or STR2?

Emilio, the video you posted for the Championship race doesnt work --> Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

Wow! What a fun race to watch. The first half was nerve wracking mostly because the differences in speed were pretty big between the cars. And because of that it sucked watching them fly by you in the straights when you were so much faster than them everywhere else. I wouldnt be surprised if the PTB Acura was trying to help out the PTC RSX by holding you up. I love how they would reel you in on the straights, and youd crush them in the turns, like 4:30-4:55. Or like 9:55-10:25, you passed the PTB Acura on the inside of T2, then you made your car nice and wide down the straight to defend. After that you left him and the Mustang in the dust! Lets not forgert the pass on the PTC RSX to reclaim the lead. Icing on your Championship cake was setting the PTC track record in L22 while finishing first in the entire group by a huge margin! Which was also faster than the TTC track record you set?! So much win in this video! The competition is obviously lacking in PT, but you showed them what a skilled driver can do with a beast of a Miata. Congrats!

Btw, i noticed in the first half of the race you were using 5th through T1, and i kept thinking that 4th might be better. But during the second half of the race you started using 4th. Why switch to 4th during the 2nd half of the race, was 4th faster or was it something else?
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast