+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

Liked
    1429 times

Nice job defending Emilio! I think I saw one attempt to break his momentum that was fairly successful. These guys are terrible. It's a shame the drivers in PT are so bad at wheel to wheel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

I'm guessing too, but I don't think so.
    TR is one of a few approved tube frame racecars for PT as defined in section 5.2.1 in PT rules - http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/p...ring_rules.pdf
    Those have to stick to their particular specs to stay legal.
    A Mustang is a normal car with a base class and so forth, so my guess is that it should be treated like one regardless of being raced in another class.

Just guessing.

Moti

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    TR is one of a few approved tube frame racecars for PT as defined in section 5.2.1 in PT rules - http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/p...ring_rules.pdf
    A Mustang is a normal car with a base class and so forth, so my guess is that it should be treated like one regardless of being raced in another class.

Just guessing.

Moti
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of enduro rules.

Liked
    114 times

Just guessing.

Moti
    It's more like an MX5 cupcar. They are PTC no matter what. They can't be modded to drop to PTD or can't be made faster to PTB. They have to stay exactly to cup car specs. Including tire suspension and any other restrictions. MX5 cup cars started out as real cars.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    A Miata didn't win or take second in PTE so maybe there's hope for no NASA backlash. It looks like a Civic won and Mike Rose got second in his RX-7.
    Oh and there was a FFord they had run (and race out of class) with us (PTE) so we SoCal guys would feel at home.
    Last edited by Gian; 09-10-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Red_5 and Neocataboi like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    704 times

I'm not able to watch the race by just clicking the Watch It button, any ideas? Anyone else watch it using Safari as a browser?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1885 times

Manny, an MX5 won PTD, when the driver was interviewed he mentioned specifically that he prepped the car in order to do the MX5 cup races.
    Granted, the car was probably not prepped to full cup spec otherwise it would've run PTC with Emilio, but I think it is safe to assume that you can make changes in them to bring the car to whichever class you want.

I would imagine that if staying true to the spec puts the car into PTC it is because of two possible scenarios -
    1. Adding up the points for whatever is done to the car in cup spec brings it to PTB or even PTA where it would not be competitive, so NASA allow it to run in PTC if it runs in the exact trim.
    2. The car is faster than the sum of it's mods / parts, meaning the points add up to a lower class where the cup car would have killed everything in its cup trim, therefore NASA ruled that the MX5 cup car is assigned a higher class when it is done to cup trim.

But my guess is that if one was to abandon the cup trim in order to make the car faster, the cup spec will be disregarded and the team will start paying penalty points for what is actually done to the car from BTM and base classing of the '06-'12 MX5, currently PTE* @ 2525.

Moti

Liked
    704 times

Manny, an MX5 won PTD, when the driver was interviewed he mentioned specifically that he prepped the car in order to do the MX5 cup races.
    Granted, the car was probably not prepped to full cup spec otherwise it would've run PTC with Emilio, but I think it is safe to assume that you can make changes in them to bring the car to whichever class you want.

I would imagine that if staying true to the spec puts the car into PTC it is because of two possible scenarios -
    1. Adding up the points for whatever is done to the car in cup spec brings it to PTB or even PTA where it would not be competitive, so NASA allow it to run in PTC if it runs in the exact trim.
    2. The car is faster than the sum of it's mods / parts, meaning the points add up to a lower class where the cup car would have killed everything in its cup trim, therefore NASA ruled that the MX5 cup car is assigned a higher class when it is done to cup trim.

But my guess is that if one was to abandon the cup trim in order to make the car faster, the cup spec will be disregarded and the team will start paying penalty points for what is actually done to the car from BTM and base classing of the '06-'12 MX5, currently PTE* @ 2525.

Moti
    I think the direct re-class is more for double dipping. There weren't any MX-5 Cup races this weekend so it doesn't need to fit in 2 classes in one weekend. I'm guessing the CMC car wanted to be able to race in CMC and PT in the same weekend so that's where the re-class comes from and that's why the car has to fit the CMC rules because that was how it was classed for PT.
    Josh Allen's MX-5 has a hardtop so it's clearly not strictly an MX-5 Cup car. Who knows what kind of tires and weight he was at.

Liked
    641 times

Great results,congrats Emilio!I am trying to watch your video from the race,but you tube says it is not available.

Liked
    2283 times

you can watch the race here:
    SpeedcastTV
    go to minute 254:30 for the race
    go to minute 307.30 for the interview
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    641 times

I have watched all races online.Watching from Emilio's point of view should be even more interesting.

Liked
    704 times

It turned out that I needed to restart my computer but the link finally worked.

Wow, I'm still amazed by the move at the start by the yellow Mustang. Clearly he thinks that maneuver is okay, I'm happy he didn't win.

I think the CRX is the next car to have weight added, it's the cheater car. That's 2 years in a row it won PTE, it must be the car . . .

Liked
    114 times

The You Tube vid still isn't up. The suspense is killing me, i want to know how this ended... LOL.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Here it is. Loading now so might not be live until the morning
    Sorry guys. Problem uploading to YouTube at hotel last night. I will upload from my shop when I get back to the OC in a few hours.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    299 times

So Tom driving the rig back to the next event, i forget where? You will rendezvous with him in a day or 2?
    Neocataboi likes this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    464 times

Here's a little something to hold you guys till Emillio gets back. This is what it looks like starting from the back. Funny thing P1 and P2 got bad starts and came from the back.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    It turned out that I needed to restart my computer but the link finally worked.

Wow, I'm still amazed by the move at the start by the yellow Mustang. Clearly he thinks that maneuver is okay, I'm happy he didn't win.

I think the CRX is the next car to have weight added, it's the cheater car. That's 2 years in a row it won PTE, it must be the car . . .
    I thought it was a Civc that won last year?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    So Tom driving the rig back to the next event, i forget where? You will rendezvous with him in a day or 2?
    Tom driving rig to Hallett, AR. I'm back in LA.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Here's a little something to hold you guys till Emillio gets back. This is what it looks like starting from the back. Funny thing P1 and P2 got bad starts and came from the back.

[YOUTUBEVID]
    WOW, that SRF has no grip at all, and why are they always abckmarkers? i still yet to see one that keeps up with the other PTB cars. It seems wrong.

Liked
    1885 times

I've never driven the SRF but have driven the RSR (Renault Sport Racer) which is the same car with the older Renault 1.7L engine and 4 speed trans, before the drivetrain was updated with the Ford items.
    While I'm sure the SRF is faster than the RSR, the RSR that I drove was slower than geology in a straight line.
    At BRP it would make a few car lengths on many cars in places like cotton corners, but come out of sunset @ 4100 rpm and climb all the way to 4300 rpm by the time you hit the braking zone before sunrise.

Looking forward to see the in-car from Crusher!
    Wish we had an in-car shot of the Mustang driver's face when you put two wheels in the grass in front of him at the start...

Moti

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast