Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Slaysman
  • 1 Post By J.W. Dukes

Thread: suspension, hans and cage question

Liked
    1 times

Default suspension, hans and cage question

Hello everyone, my name is Justin,
    I'm hoping to join your group in 2016. just have a few questions to get me started. 1
    : is there anyone who runs any spec miata races as well as SPM. my question is, is their suspension able to run up front with the xida suspension? 2: is there an alternative to the hans that is more comfy? I used one in a sprint car and several other races on asphalt, but last year it just started feeling super uncomfortable. Lastly, What is the best safety cage on the market for our cars? custom, or order a miata cage and have my local race shop weld it in with my new seat. Any advice is appreciated. I work the next couple days but i am hoping to come check you guys out Sunday at buttonwillow.
    Thanks

Liked
    226 times

1. AROSC has an Open Race group. We regularly have a number of Miatas running in our races - Spec Miata, SPM, and run what you brung Miatas.

2. A number of our racers use the NexGen neck & head restraint system. I use one myself and don't even know I am wearing it.

3. Blackbird Fab Works gets a lot to good press here on TrackHQ about their cages.
    Gian likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    42 times

HANS device comfort is all down to making sure you get the right size with the right angle for your seating position.

I work with one of the original distributors to the midwest and he's taken people from "I WILL NOT wear this because it is so obstructive" to "I can't feel the thing." Getting properly fitted is extremely important.

IMO, Moti at Blackbird exemplifies what you would want in a safety cage fabricator. Not only is he dedicated to the Miata platform, but he is also dedicated to your safety. His work does not come cheap, but is very reasonable for the amount of attention to detail and quality you receive- and is invaluable should it be field-tested. You get what you pay for, and the life you safe may be your own.
    Steve C.
    1992 Nissan 240SX
    Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. Dukes View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Justin,
    I'm hoping to join your group in 2016. just have a few questions to get me started. 1
    : is there anyone who runs any spec miata races as well as SPM. my question is, is their suspension able to run up front with the xida suspension? 2: is there an alternative to the hans that is more comfy? I used one in a sprint car and several other races on asphalt, but last year it just started feeling super uncomfortable. Lastly, What is the best safety cage on the market for our cars? custom, or order a miata cage and have my local race shop weld it in with my new seat. Any advice is appreciated. I work the next couple days but i am hoping to come check you guys out Sunday at buttonwillow.
    Thanks
    1. No. SM suspension vs Xida with equal drivers, the SM kit will be a handicap. Xidas are not legal for SM though so if you finish on the podium in SM, expect to be DQ'd if you have Xidas.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    1. No. SM suspension vs Xida with equal drivers, the SM kit will be a handicap. Xidas are not legal for SM though so if you finish on the podium in SM, expect to be DQ'd if you have Xidas.
    You could always paint your Xidas yellow and slap on a couple of Bilstein stickers, no one would notice.

Another vote for Necksgen or whatever it's called, very comfortable.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1 times

Thanks so much for the advice. Think I'm rollin with a custom cage, xida's and a necksgen... see you out there
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Liked
    456 times

The new NexGen is called the Rev, and it is awesome. Just wore mine for 2 -25 minute sessions for 3 consecutive days with no shoulder or chest pain. They are made in San Diego if you are in So Cal

craZee

Liked
    16 times

Another vote for Necksgen, my collar bones have both been broken and overlapped; I can easily wear a Necksgen. I can't wear a Hans for more than 2 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread