+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SDSUsnowboards
  • 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 3 Post By Blackbird
  • 1 Post By b3d3g1

Thread: Stock roll hoops

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    124
    Liked
    29 times

    Default Stock roll hoops

    Are as good as no roll hoops





  2. #2
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    591
    Liked
    401 times

    Default

    Quick hands on that video. Was there any counter steering attempt?

    Edit - ok - there was a tiny bit. I stand corrected.

    Quote Originally Posted by howang View Post
    Are as good as no roll hoops




    Last edited by markn; 11-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

    Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

  3. #3
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2085 times

    Default

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,835
    Liked
    817 times

    Default

    Deceleration upon initiation of spin, target fixation, no attempt to counter-steer = dead S2000.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  5. #5
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    Hope the driver was OK.

  6. #6
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Deceleration upon initiation of spin, target fixation, no attempt to counter-steer = dead S2000.
    I think there's more to it than that. With how hard the camera is bouncing, I think he might be one of those hellaflush morons. Doesn't look like he has any rear suspension at all.
    SteveLevin likes this.

  7. #7
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,835
    Liked
    817 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Hope the driver was OK.
    He broke his neck and back.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  8. #8
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    591
    Liked
    401 times

    Default

    Ow. Hopefully a full recovery will be forthcoming. Tough lesson.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

    Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

  9. #9
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2085 times

    Default

    So much for that awesome myth about the stock hoops
    32333985_06x.jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    So much for that awesome myth about the stock hoops
    Attachment 9525
    Myth still holds. He did pack it into that ditch hoops first pretty hard.

  11. #11
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2085 times

    Default

    IIRC you just installed an aftermarket roll bar in your S2k, despite the factory hoops being widely accepted by local organizers as sufficient.
    Myth still holds or double standards?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    266
    Liked
    158 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    IIRC you just installed an aftermarket roll bar in your S2k, despite the factory hoops being widely accepted by local organizers as sufficient.
    Myth still holds or double standards?
    Would the driver have been better off with a rollbar, harness, hans and 6 point harness to hug him and tell him "ssshhh its going to be OK, ill buy you ice cream after". Sure but then it wouldn't be much of a road car anymore. I know. I did all of these things. In this scenario i suspect having a hard metal bar for the driver to collide with may have worsened the situation.

    Did the driver survive what was otherwise a worst-case accident? Yes (albeit heavily banged up and broken, hes alive). I suspect more of the injury was due to partial ejection in a 3pt than the roll hoop crush.

    FWIW I've seen more than a couple S2k's park it shiny side down on the track (one just last month with OEM roll hoops) and I've yet to see a serious injury. That driver last month even was chatting it up in the pits after.


    I think the right answer here is don't flip your car.

  13. #13
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    IIRC you just installed an aftermarket roll bar in your S2k, despite the factory hoops being widely accepted by local organizers as sufficient.
    Myth still holds or double standards?
    I bought the bar to make nor cal orgs happy. I feel a little better but not great.

  14. #14
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    992
    Liked
    450 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howang View Post
    So, did it start?
    SteveLevin likes this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  15. #15
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2085 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Would the driver have been better off with a rollbar, harness, hans and 6 point harness to hug him and tell him "ssshhh its going to be OK, ill buy you ice cream after". Sure but then it wouldn't be much of a road car anymore. I know. I did all of these things. In this scenario i suspect having a hard metal bar for the driver to collide with may have worsened the situation.
    We're going to disagree here, because I suspect that having a larger safety cell around the driver would have reduced the severity of his injury.
    SFI padding is a great idea and certainly would not be any worse than the factory hoop coming on his head... Those are made of Steel too, or did the plastics make you forget?
    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Did the driver survive what was otherwise a worst-case accident? Yes (albeit heavily banged up and broken, hes alive). I suspect more of the injury was due to partial ejection in a 3pt than the roll hoop crush.
    I'd attribute his survival to shear dumb luck more than anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    FWIW I've seen more than a couple S2k's park it shiny side down on the track (one just last month with OEM roll hoops) and I've yet to see a serious injury. That driver last month even was chatting it up in the pits after.
    I have not seen the other two, but the pics that I saw of the one from last month showed a car with a hardtop if I recall, and the damage seemed to have been concentrated in the windshield frame area.
    Not exactly a testament of how well the stock hoops do, unless of course my memory betrays me in which case feel free to correct me.

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    I think the right answer here is don't flip your car.
    A statement that everyone can get behind

  16. #16
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I think there's more to it than that. With how hard the camera is bouncing, I think he might be one of those hellaflush morons. Doesn't look like he has any rear suspension at all.
    Yes, lots of bouncing captured in the video. I've never seen a ride that harsh on what is supposed to be a smooth public road.

    This video reminds me of that kid who trashed that BMW on a desert road. Same kind of thing. Public road, small rise with decreasing camber. Bam. trashed car.


  17. #17
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,239
    Liked
    481 times

    Default

    Was that a rabbit in the passenger seat?

    Glad he survived. But public road's are NOT the place for this. Once I was on the opposite side on a motorcycle when some guy in a Honda did the same thing. Luckily just ran me off the road.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    266
    Liked
    158 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I have not seen the other two, but the pics that I saw of the one from last month showed a car with a hardtop if I recall, and the damage seemed to have been concentrated in the windshield frame area.
    Not exactly a testament of how well the stock hoops do, unless of course my memory betrays me in which case feel free to correct me.:
    Nope stock roll hoops and soft top. Hook spin off the esses, somersault and failed to stick the landing.

    dvkorzk.jpg

    Fared quite a bit better than the car in the original post. Also a decided lack of disassembled soft top scaffolding turning the occupants into kebabs (ive heard this one from a few clubs and cant figure out if its based in reality or someone conjured it up in their basement after being exposed to too much AB foam)

    Perfectly safe? Nope. The only way to be perfectly safe is be at home on the couch, but then i guess you need to contend with heart disease so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, however it is an acceptably safe setup for a street car IMO. Yes for a track car I would absolutely opt for a safety cell of some kind (and did).

    I would say the driver in the original incident got luckiest to miss all the trees more than anything.

  19. #19
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2085 times

    Default

    Not sure why I remembered the car having a hard top, but the damage indeed appears to be concentrated at the windshield frame area.
    From where I'm sitting it does not appear that the area above the hoops touched the ground at all, but I'm sitting pretty far so...

    brp-rolls2k.jpg
    Last edited by Blackbird; 11-15-2015 at 04:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts