+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Speedventures COTA event, new $350 insurance

Liked
    2528 times

Default Speedventures COTA event, new $350 insurance

got this email from Aaron. this event is gonna be pricey (over $2k in registration alone, 3 day weekend + this new insurance charge)......... anyway for us to buy our own property damage insurance for less ?

Dear Drivers,
    Thank you for expressing interest in our COTA event in April of 2015. We have some important questions and bits of information for you. We would greatly appreciate a reply to these at your earliest convenience:
    1. Due to the potentially high cost of repairing damage to walls at COTA (they have state of the art crash protection installed, which is great for our safety!, but expensive) we are planning on instituting a mandatory $350/driver damage deposit and insurance fee (fully refunded if it's not used). Unlike other tracks where facilities repair bills can reach up to $1500 typically, COTA bills could potentially reach $15,000 or more. Here's how this deposit program would work:
    - All drivers pay $350 facilities damage deposit.
    - If a driver crashes and causes damage to the safety walls he/she pays a "deductible" of $1500-$3000 (TBD). Any expenses over that amount are paid for out of the pool of funds into which all the drivers have paid.
    - At the end of the event, any/all unused funds are distributed back to all drivers equally (except any drivers who caused damage at the expense of the pooled money).
    - Speed Ventures would provide an accounting of these funds and any expenses to all drivers before and after the event.

PLEASE REPLY RE. WHETHER THIS APPROACH TO DEALING WITH FACILITIES DAMAGE IS ACCEPTABLE OR UNACCEPTABLE TO YOU.

2. We are possibly going to add Friday to the event to make it a 3-day event. A great number of people feel that after the travel and transport costs it would be best to participate 3 days. We have also heard from people who have run at COTA already that the learning curve for that track is such that 1 day is spent just learning the track! If you are signed up for 2 days, PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you would like to run 3 days if it ends up happening.

3. We are actively working on transport options and will notify all drivers of the options available within a few weeks. At present we have located open transport for $1200/rt.

Let me know if you have further questions. We are very excited for this event!
    Thanks,

Aaron Bitterman
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

So, everyone loses their "deposit" if one knucklehead damages a state-of-the-art wall and can't/refuses to pay, or the damages exceed $3,000, which aaron admits damges are likely to exceed?

Communism.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1720 times

Very interesting topic. What is the answer? My first reaction is DON'T pay. Once we allow one group to do this then all will follow and we have increased the cost of us driving. Vote with your wallet. I would not go to CoTA. Remember what happen when consumers allowed the first airline to charge for bags.

The real question is how is this handled with other groups? I think with SCCA we are insured. If there is track damage the SCCA insurance pays for it. That insurance is part of our registration fees including participant liability insurance. That is the best reason to race with SCCA. You can't buy any individual insurance that covers your on track liability.

Racing costs more than HPDE like Speed ventures and you get less tracktime racing. An HPDE weekend costs 150-200/day. A race weekend is about $550 but less tracktime. Even with that we raced CoTA in 2013 with SCCA and paid about 30% more than a normal race weekend. We paid about $650 for CoTA. SpeedVentures is $600/day plus kick in $350 for an SV self-insurance scheme? With other groups it is rare that there is an issue where drivers are asked to pay for damage. In fact I can't remember any ever or any drivers squawking about it. I do remember drivers having to pay for kittly litter if they oil the track. But is that because there is really just to deter poor maintenance and deter bad track manners? What is protocol? I don't remember seeing on the waiver that if I wreck a wall at WSIR I have to pay for it. I also have never read how they would get that money from me either. I never heard of this being a problem at any tracks. WSIR for example are very money grubbing. If this was an issue you can bet they would not let us on track without money in their pocket. Why is CoTA different? Why do all drivers have to share in one driver's loss at CoTA with speed ventures? What is in it for SpeedVentures to try and pull off some kind of self-insurance at our cost? Does SV get a cheaper track rental rate if they provide a bond or insurance to pay for SV driver track damage?

This notion of driver damage insurance is a bad precedent for drivers. I would not participate in that game.
    Pure EvoIX and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    The real question is how is this handled with other groups? I think with SCCA we are insured. If there is track damage the SCCA insurance pays for it. That insurance is part of our registration fees including participant liability insurance. That is the best reason to race with SCCA. You can't buy any individual insurance that covers your on track liability.

Racing costs more than HPDE like Speed ventures and you get less tracktime racing. An HPDE weekend costs 150-200/day. A race weekend is about $550 but less tracktime. Even with that we raced CoTA in 2013 with SCCA and paid about 30% more than a normal race weekend. We paid about $650 for CoTA. SpeedVentures is $600/day plus kick in $350 for an SV self-insurance scheme?
    The economic model is different for SCCA at COTA. With SCCA I think the paying race car count was areound 450 entries. Races will pack many more cars on track than the one car per 1/10 mile metric usd for most HPDES. COTA will put maybe 30-40 cars on track with SV. For the SCCA races that density can be twice that.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    The economic model is different for SCCA at COTA. With SCCA I think the paying race car count was areound 450 entries. Races will pack many more cars on track than the one car per 1/10 mile metric usd for most HPDES. COTA will put maybe 30-40 cars on track with SV. For the SCCA races that density can be twice that.
    That may be true? I only see this from an end user perspective... car counts are car counts. Racing less tracktime. HPDE more tracktime.

Track fees racing per weekend = $550 ave.
    track fees HPDE = 300-$400
    track fees SV CoTA = $1190 + $350 insurance?

Liked
    551 times

I am not willing to pay for insurance for others, that's crazy!

If I am told that I am responsible for fixing any damages I do to the track, an option to buy insurance might be appropriate, but how can we all be held responsible for each others actions?

My friend goes to the Ring each year, and he has the option of choosing his deductible for the insurance on the car he rents. He screwed up last year, and after buying a high deductible he totaled the car. His bad, nobody to blame.

I have been holding off signing up for this event, afraid that there were going to be more "hidden costs" like this. It's just about to become too pricey for me as bad as I want to do it.

IMHO, registration should not have been opened until all the financial details were in concrete.

craZee

Liked
    242 times

Very interesting topic. What is the answer? My first reaction is DON'T pay. Once we allow one group to do this then all will follow and we have increased the cost of us driving. Vote with your wallet. I would not go to CoTA. Remember what happen when consumers allowed the first airline to charge for bags.

Racing costs more than HPDE like Speed ventures and you get less tracktime racing. An HPDE weekend costs 150-200/day. A race weekend is about $550 but less tracktime. Even with that we raced CoTA in 2013 with SCCA and paid about 30% more than a normal race weekend. We paid about $650 for CoTA. SpeedVentures is $600/day plus kick in $350 for an SV self-insurance scheme? With other groups it is rare that there is an issue where drivers are asked to pay for damage. In fact I can't remember any ever or any drivers squawking about it. I do remember drivers having to pay for kittly litter if they oil the track. But is that because there is really just to deter poor maintenance and deter bad track manners? What is protocol? I don't remember seeing on the waiver that if I wreck a wall at WSIR I have to pay for it. I also have never read how they would get that money from me either. I never heard of this being a problem at any tracks. WSIR for example are very money grubbing. If this was an issue you can bet they would not let us on track without money in their pocket. Why is CoTA different? Why do all drivers have to share in one driver's loss at CoTA with speed ventures? What is in it for SpeedVentures to try and pull off some kind of self-insurance at our cost? Does SV get a cheaper track rental rate if they provide a bond or insurance to pay for SV driver track damage?

This notion of driver damage insurance is a bad precedent for drivers. I would not participate in that game.
    Carl, I can tell you from first hand experience that when you hit the wall at Daytona there are two people waiting for you back at the pit.... The first thing they ask you is "are you alright".... The next thing they say is "you know you have to pay for that damage to the wall". ... The third thing they say is "please sign here". In my case I was fortunate enough (if you can call it that) that I actually hit a small stretch of K wall, so they just had to slide it back in place and didn't charge me.

That is the only wall I have ever hit... And I hope it is the last one!

With that said, I don't like this self insurance plan, I don't want to pay for someone else's error.

Charley

Liked
    145 times

Here is the Chin motorsports page for COTA JAN 2015, I did not see a this fee or did I miss it? hmm sounds like SV is getting the shaft or some other funny stuff going on here?

https://www.chinmotorsports.com/Even...5KrEmHcgusQ%3d

Liked
    609 times

There are at least a few other tracks known for expensive bills if you cause damage... Barber and Watkins Glen come to mind -- Barber especially, since they charge for grass repair!

Me, I wouldn't drive at a track where I could be liable for costs I can't control. My car, okay, I control fixing that. Me, I have health insurance for that. But going off, hitting a fence, say, and paying an "uncontrollable rate" where they tell me what it's going to cost and that's it... I can't play in that arena.

Now, if I viewed this COTA deal just as insurance against any and all track charges (you buy the policy for $350 with a $3,000 deductible), I could see being okay with that. I would certainly want to see the fine print that makes sure I am 100% covered and indemnified so that my max out of pocket is $3,350. I think SV is confusing people with trying to return money (which I understand the spirit of, but then maybe the policy "charge" is too high?).

I'm not saying I'd take on the $3,350 cost to drive COTA (to me, while interesting, it's still "just another track").. but I could understand it for those that really hanker. I'm too cheap

Steve
    MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.

Liked
    299 times

i'll pass. too rich for my blood. you boys have fun.
    Red_5 and bawareca like this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    764 times

I guess I'll never drive at COTA, just plain too expensive for my budget. I hope you have fun.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    454 times

Is this track worth the Fun/$?

For $3k+, you can do a full comp school with car included at many other tracks, Laguna, Road Atlanta, Miller
    You can run 6 days at Buttonwillow
    You can run 4 days at Laguna
    You can buy a Miata
    You can steal a S2K from a grandma in Pasadena
    You can hire Oli to follow you around for a week in Viking gear, occasionally blurting out "for Valhalla!"
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    299 times

$3000 buys you 3 seasons of Time Attack.
    bawareca likes this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    With or without the spare engines included

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    Which is about 30 hot laps total in your case ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1485 times

For $3000 . . . You can steal a S2K from a grandma in Pasadena

(Actually, I think it was $9,000-)

I once spent $8,000- for a deluxe racing weekend including Friday open test at Sonoma, in my Formula Mazda, with trackside support, transportation so my son and I could fly in, 2 nice hotel rooms, expensive dinners, tires, entry fee, yada, yada. I don't view the cost of the CoTA weekend as excessive. It's a great track, and a rare opportunity. After all, you only pay the $3,000- deductible if you crash into a state of the art barrier after you slide across a lot of run-off. Don't do that . . .

Some of you guys spent a bundle to go to Spa Francorchamps and the Nurburgring last year.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 12-25-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

I once spent $8,000- for a deluxe racing

Some of you guys spent a bundle to go to Spa Francorchamps and the Nurburgring last year.
    Agreed but paying for a new questionable insurance is not "value added." And CoTA is not Spa or the Nurburgring.

Liked
    672 times

... And CoTA is not Spa or the Nurburgring.
    Have to agree. There are tracks you've dreamed of driving your whole life and the thought of actually getting to do it makes your fingertips tingle and you're willing to swipe every card you have and sign on any dotted line. CoTA is a very cool track, but it's not that.

-Ryan
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

(Actually, I think it was $9,000-)

I once spent $8,000- for a deluxe racing weekend including Friday open test at Sonoma, in my Formula Mazda, with trackside support, transportation so my son and I could fly in, 2 nice hotel rooms, expensive dinners, tires, entry fee, yada, yada. I don't view the cost of the CoTA weekend as excessive. It's a great track, and a rare opportunity. After all, you only pay the $3,000- deductible if you crash into a state of the art barrier after you slide across a lot of run-off. Don't do that . . .

Our 2013 Nürburgring/Spa trip cost us less than it will to drive at COTA.
    Pure EvoIX likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

BMWCCA race in March is $749. Three day event.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast