+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Spec Miata or Karting?

Liked
    1429 times

I win SCCA races and am breaking into the upper-midpack with NASA.

I put about $6K into a car worth about $3K, and bought a trailer for $2K. I already own a truck worth maybe $8K. I run a set of tires for two race weekends. Racing in 4 classes this season, I would crudely estimate that I have spent $16,000 to race those 4 classes.

So that's $35K tied up for the whole shooting match, but only $16K ongoing, to do 4x the racing of the typical racer.

And those numbers are before sponsors.

It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Those numbers include crude crash repairs done by myself.

Also, the rules are changing soon and I will be installing a new head for mo' powa' during the winter break. This will cost $1K or so and put me firmly with the top third in NASA I hope.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 11-04-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Might want to mention the name of the magazine. I looked in my Nov. '09 issue of Vanity Fair and couldn't find the article.

Liked
    1477 times

The big difference in your costs and mine to race is that you do all the work on the car yourself. I have neither the skills, nor the time, nor the inclination to do that. So I pay somebody else to do it. I broke my Miata's clutch at the last race weekend during the Sat. practice session. I missed the qualifying session while they removed the gearbox, replaced all the clutch parts except the disk, and put it back together. I was able to run the race. I don't know if you could have done that yourself but I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I win SCCA races and am breaking into the upper-midpack with NASA.

I put about $6K into a car worth about $3K, and bought a trailer for $2K. I already own a truck worth maybe $8K. I run a set of tires for two race weekends. Racing in 4 classes this season, I would crudely estimate that I have spent $16,000 to race those 4 classes.

So that's $35K tied up for the whole shooting match, but only $16K ongoing, to do 4x the racing of the typical racer.

And those numbers are before sponsors.

It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Those numbers include crude crash repairs done by myself.

Also, the rules are changing soon and I will be installing a new head for mo' powa' during the winter break. This will cost $1K or so and put me firmly with the top third in NASA I hope.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Might want to mention the name of the magazine. I looked in my Nov. '09 issue of Vanity Fair and couldn't find the article.
    GRM
    Doh!

Liked
    15 times

another benefit to the karts is fitness. I just spent the entire day 9-4 running around Rotax 125 Jrs, Srs, and DDR2s.....so much fun! I hurt now though...need to get in better shape before I try that again.

Liked
    1429 times

The big difference in your costs and mine to race is that you do all the work on the car yourself. I have neither the skills, nor the time, nor the inclination to do that. So I pay somebody else to do it. I broke my Miata's clutch at the last race weekend during the Sat. practice session. I missed the qualifying session while they removed the gearbox, replaced all the clutch parts except the disk, and put it back together. I was able to run the race. I don't know if you could have done that yourself but I couldn't.
    I probably would have elected to go home, but there's nothing stopping me from having 7s do that if the cost-benefit made sense.

My car has been stellar mechanically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3