+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spec Miata or Karting?

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    If you own and maintain your own Miata and don't get near Rob ( ) I bet you can race the Miata for less.

Steve
    With friends like these...

Liked
    1478 times

Quote Originally Posted by R Motorsports View Post
    Don't know about u guys but my set of R888s r good for three full days at the most in a 2k lb car.
    R-888s aren't good for anything.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    561 times

Quote Originally Posted by No Lotus View Post
    And what about track time?
    call it $100/day cheaper for test days...I don't know what race entry fees are in karts. But it's a small percentage of what you'd be paying in total, unless your focus is just being out on track without worrying about being competitive or anything.

Steve

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    R-888s aren't good for anything.
    What would u recommend?

Liked
    1433 times

What would u recommend?
    Any R compound really. Anything but hankook z212 c30 (hard)

Liked
    0 times

I don't have my race license. But ideally I would like to be competitive at both spec miata or karting whichever I choose to get into. My main goal would be to either enter one of these series and then hopefully move on to something else in the future.

I was figuring it would take me 1 or 2 years to build a spec miata because of money reasons. I don't have $10,000 laying around to build a miata in 2 months. I guess spec miata would have more exposure and mazda has their ladder system. But I'm sure the likelyhood of winning spec miata nationals are pretty slim unless you have a lot of money put into the car.

On the other hand, karting seems to be a pretty good option because of the experience you could gain from it. Karting so far seems to also be cheaper although I haven't done a ton of research on karting costs.

Basically just trying to figure out what would be a better stepping stone into professional motorsports. such a hard decision!
    I wish I was fast.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post

Basically just trying to figure out what would be a better stepping stone into professional motorsports. such a hard decision!
    Oh you want to go pro? Get a kart.

Liked
    1478 times

What would u recommend?
    NT-01 is the best R-compound. If it doesn't come in your size, I'd take RA-1 over R-888.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1 times

dude, call me... go karting, it will be more beneficial for you and better training.
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    0 times

haha thanks for all the help. So far it looks like karting is the way!
    I wish I was fast.

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Karting is more expensive than you think. But I think its still cheaper than spec miata, if you want to be reasonable regionally competitive.

Pros of Karting

SEAT TIME; 50-100 bucks and you get all day to test and tune at a karting track. As much as your body can stand.

COMPETITION: I heard SM is a great way to always have someone to race with, and gets very competitive. However, I can't think of much venues where there is more competition than Karting. Plus, the venues where you can get this cometition is more diverse and accessible. Chances are, there are more karting tracks in your locality than automobile road courses. This means the sport can support more # of series and places for you to compete.

I think the major savings of karting would be from not having to haul a trailer with a really big truck. You can haul everything you need for karting in a van or a miata + class 1 trailer. Plus, when you are karting you can get by traveling a lot less for a lot more races.

Its much easier to work on a kart. It is sort of like tracking motorcycles; everything you need to work on is right there, and you don't have to go under anything.

Cons:
    Basically, Karting is not as cheap or easy as a lot of people think, but I would venture to guess its still more convenient and economical than doing spec miata. While rebuilding kart engines and getting it blueprinted is expensive, building a nice SM motor is much more. But still, karting costs can add up very quickly.

Everything breaks all the time. Karts are tuned much closer to the edge than cars are. You might go through quite a bit of parts before you get the hang of setting everything up in a kart, though some people nail it fairly early. Even then, you'll regularly be replacing things.

The clutch will need adjustment often depending on the track and weather.

Things wear out.
    Depending on the region, maintaining a engine you can race with will be very costly. Rebuilds are what is going to kill you.If you set things up wrong, things go kaboom and that costs a lot of money too.
    Every season or two, you might need a new chassis to stay competitive.

Setting up the kart is also a whole different art. Maybe i shouldn't list it as a "con." But its a lot less plug+play than doing track or competing in most forms of amatuer motorsports. You have rear axle stiffness, front castor, front camber, seat struts, seat, seat height, weight, tire pressures, etc to set up your kart. Different in each track.

I heard from a good friend that to do a nationally competitive season in a rotax will cost up to 150-200k, a very very big portion of it going to travel and boarding costs. IIRC thats about how much a regionally competitive SM can run. If you stay at your local region, I think you can get by with 10-20k per year for karting.

Sorry for the badly organized post, but Good luck!

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    I don't have my race license. But ideally I would like to be competitive at both spec miata or karting whichever I choose to get into. My main goal would be to either enter one of these series and then hopefully move on to something else in the future.

I was figuring it would take me 1 or 2 years to build a spec miata because of money reasons. I don't have $10,000 laying around to build a miata in 2 months. I guess spec miata would have more exposure and mazda has their ladder system. But I'm sure the likelyhood of winning spec miata nationals are pretty slim unless you have a lot of money put into the car.

On the other hand, karting seems to be a pretty good option because of the experience you could gain from it. Karting so far seems to also be cheaper although I haven't done a ton of research on karting costs.

You are not going to be competitive without money in Karting or SM. You will have to get a job that is basically going to be spent full for your racing aspirations. If you want to be a pro, you need natural talent and a relentless desire to improve, and must genuinely enjoy competing without regards to all the money you are spending. I have a few friends who tried it out and pulled back due to financial challenges.

Basically, in order to make this happen you need to be able to dedicate less time to school, work a lot more at your job, and dump all of that money for racing. Its basically "impossible" for most people.

An AutoX budget, and that basically paid for 1 race event and 1 hour of practice time. I wasn't even trying to be regionally competitive, though I had a built motor.

If you really want to get your feet wet, you could rent a kart somewhere. HPVs are common rental karts and it will be plenty fast enough. (in fact, if you aren't familiar with high-performance driving, i.e. done a few track days, I wouldn't recommend it) 200-300 bucks on a 1-1.5 hour session sounds like but it is basically how much it costs to run a kart.

If you did well in that, you can save up about 5 grand and complete a racing school. They usually have scholarship programs for talented drivers. Youw ill most likely start with their school's formula series then move onto TDI cup, MX-5 cup, etc if you ace every single time.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by hikickracing View Post
    I heard from a good friend that to do a nationally competitive season in a rotax will cost up to 150-200k, a very very big portion of it going to travel and boarding costs. IIRC thats about how much a regionally competitive SM can run.
    WTF?

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the info hikickracing. I know karting is a lot more expensive than most people think and so is spec miata but the prices you posted are a little off haha

I'll do the best I can to get into professional motorsports but I'll enjoy driving even if I never become pro.
    I wish I was fast.

Liked
    1 times

Sorry, I did not post the right number in the above post. I don't like spewing incorrect information all over the net. I apologize; I should proofread what I typed.

Doing nationals can range from 40k-80k if I remember correctly. If you have a team of more than one kart with a couple of people for crew it goes up into 6 figures. This is from talking to karters who have experience at this level, not from personal experience.
    Last edited by hikickracing; 11-03-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Liked
    1433 times

I was just informed that if I showed up and didn't suck last weekend, I would have clinched the SCCA SoCal Spec Miata regional championship.

Admittedly SCCA turnout for SM has left a lot to be desired, but I am not exactly a spender.

Liked
    1478 times

^^^ Goes to show that if you run every race in a field of 4 cars, you win the season even if you think the Towne House Motel is the Ritz Carlton.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Goes to show that if you run every race in a field of 4 cars, you win the season even if you think the Towne House Motel is the Ritz Carlton.
    Damn straight!

Liked
    1 times

There is a great article in the Nov 2009 issue about doing college and racing.

Liked
    1478 times

Quote Originally Posted by hikickracing View Post
    There is a great article in the Nov 2009 issue about doing college and racing.
    Might want to mention the name of the magazine. I looked in my Nov. '09 issue of Vanity Fair and couldn't find the article.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast