+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sorta looking for a Miata

Liked
    545 times

Default Sorta looking for a Miata

I'm pondering selling my Volvo 240 turbo for something that I could take to the track once in a blue moon. I've not sat in a Miata with a roll hoop (enough of one to make it okay with track day folks), so this might end up being a lot of pipe dream if it really impinges on daily driving (which is the primary use for the car with a 30 mile commute to the office).

a/c would be nice but not actually critical -- I only need it a few days a year.
    top has to be okay but not totally watertight since the car would be in my garage or the covered parking at work (the Volvo leaks through the sunroof in heavy rain even now). Heat is more important than a/c in the Bay Area.

I really don't want to spend a ton of money. In my ideal world (maybe a dream) I could have the car, decent tires and the roll hoop for $3,000.

Feedback appreciated... and I know sometimes there are cars that folks know about for sale that are not "actively advertised" for lack of a better term.

thanks!

Steve

Liked
    2282 times

Miata top don't leak. You've been hanging around European cars too long.

AC is bad for track (once in a blue moon, you might have overheating issue with ac). So good and bad.

I recommend 1.8 with torsen. Rest don't matter much.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    704 times

I have a friend putting his track prepped NA6 up for sale soon - I sent him this link.

It's a bit of a track rat already with a roll bar, hardtop only, 6 speed, Team Dynamic wheels, AC probably doesn't work, I think it has Koni shocks and GC coil overs but not sure. He bought it to drive on track but has only had it out a couple of times.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

A 4-point rollbar will not get in the way of daily driving. But you need to sit in one and make sure you pass the broomstick test. I don't remember how tall you are, but taller guys can't pass the broomstick test with a stock driver's seat, and they need a racing seat that sits lower to pass. I get you might not want that for daily driving.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

94-97 are the best track day project if you intend to leave the engine stock. 94-95 are OBDI and a better choice if you plan to tweak on the engine a bit. Make sure it has the optional Torsen. To
    verify, drive in a full lock circle slowly and add a little throttle. If the rear tires chirp/chatter a little bit, it's a Torsen.

Replace all fluids, hoses, clutch slave cylinder and radiator if it's turning brown (plastic). Slap some race pads on, roll bar and it's good to go. That can easily be done for <$3K if you're OK with a slightly rough looking car.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    97 times

Good points about the seat. That's the biggest thing in my opinion. Here's what I've found:

-Stock seat is completely useless for track: support wise is nothing and is not race harness friendly. Plus you'll sit way too high to pass broomstick test

- I've found it's quite comfortable and I daily drove my Miata for 2 years with the following setup:

-Sparco Sprint 5 seat on stock sliders with stock seatbelt threaded through left shoulder harness opening, and 6 point harness fully connected but draped over to the sides of the seat and not used while daily driving. This will be your best best I think. See image below, and you'll notice my stock seatbelt is there (race harness is simply placed onseat for photo purposes)

Also, I had to remove my door panel because you sit low in the racing seat and my left elbow didn't have space to work the steering wheel because it either hit the seat or the plastic door trim.

The rollbar is the hardcore HardDog bar, with harness mount. I loved daily driving this car. That seat is comfortable and cheap at like $300 new

7mdsk.jpg

Liked
    2241 times

I am also a huge fan of the 94-95, but this might work for you. Just popped up on Craigslist today. Used roll bars shouldn't be difficult to find.

1992 Mazda Miata MX five

Liked
    28 times

I have a bunch of parts I just pulled off my '91 while building it in to a PTE car... including a rollbar (for soft top, won't clear hardtop), Flyin Miata springs, KYB AGX shocks, a couple of 1.6L motors, etc, etc. If you can find a cheap car, I'd probably part with the parts in pretty cheap fashion, too. I'm just up in Redwood City...

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I am also a huge fan of the 94-95, but this might work for you. Just popped up on Craigslist today. Used roll bars shouldn't be difficult to find.

1992 Mazda Miata MX five
    Almost certainly a wreck, the question is how bad. If not bad, than it could be a good deal especially when you resell at least it's not salvage.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Almost certainly a wreck, the question is how bad.
    Why do you say that? It's a '92 1.6 with 145,000 miles, and a respray which you can't tell the quality of in the pics. I thought the price was a little high. Probably worth $2,000 - $2,500.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

+1, I thought price was high.. it is 145k not 45k miles.

and it is a weak 1.6, with weak diff. not an idea track car.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    97 times

Didn't see the 100k. But the airbag light is on and it's been painted.

Liked
    76 times

I'm in the market for one as well, but for a DD. Want to keep the mileage down on the evo, and get something with better gas mielage.

How much do 1.8's with torsen's usually go for? Isn't the 1.8 a certain year and up?

Liked
    76 times

Also, I see on KBB, the MPG is 27 on the hwy, but everyone says 30MPG. What kind of MPG are you Miata people really getting?

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    I'm in the market for one as well, but for a DD. Want to keep the mileage down on the evo, and get something with better gas mielage.

How much do 1.8's with torsen's usually go for? Isn't the 1.8 a certain year and up?
    Miata for Dummies:

na6 - 90-93 with 1.6L, small diff, tend to blow up after some track duty. small brake
    na8 - 94-97 with 1.8L, big diff, either open or Torsen. they don't blow up. medium brake
    NB1 - 99/00 with BP4W 1.8L. slightly more power, ~10whp. big diff. medium brake
    NB2 - 01-05 with VVT 1.8L. more torque down low. big diff. big brake.

all parts are practically interchangeable.......
    when you get to anything under $3k. it is always condition of the car that determines value.
    big ticket items are hard top ($800 - $1,200), torsen ($500-$800), 6 speed ($700-$1,000), (decent junkyard na8 engine = $700, NB1 engine = $1,000, NB2 engine = $1,200)
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-20-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    742 times

Will is pretty accurate.

Those parts prices he lists are the average prices found online.

You can save on Torsen upgrades if you find one in the salvage yard. Hardtops are getting harder to find, cheap. Depends on your level of patience and resources. Hardtops are a theft target, especially in the Bay Area.

I yanked my Torsen out of a 94 at a pick'n'pull in Long Beach a couple months ago for about $250 (diff, axels, uprights w/hubs, halfshafts, driveshaft).

Liked
    2241 times

When I drove mine on the street, it would get 30 mpg if you kept it below 70 mph.

Liked
    76 times

Thanks for the great feedback!

Liked
    545 times

Yeah, this is all awesome info, thanks!

Steve

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Miata for Dummies:

na6 - 90-93 with 1.6L, small diff, tend to blow up after some track duty. small brake
    na8 - 94-97 with 1.8L, big diff, either open or Torsen. they don't blow up. medium brake
    NB1 - 99/00 with BP4W 1.8L. slightly more power, ~10whp. big diff. medium brake
    NB2 - 01-05 with VVT 1.8L. more torque down low. big diff. big brake.

all parts are practically interchangeable.......
    when you get to anything under $3k. it is always condition of the car that determines value.
    big ticket items are hard top ($800 - $1,200), torsen ($500-$800), 6 speed ($700-$1,000), (decent junkyard na8 engine = $700, NB1 engine = $1,000, NB2 engine = $1,200)
    Jesus. Miatas and Miata upgrades are practically free.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast