Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By Plavan
  • 1 Post By Plavan
  • 1 Post By Plavan

Thread: Some great fun with the NP01's last weekend

Liked
    66 times

Default Some great fun with the NP01's last weekend

Here is a video from the "Chase car" behind me :P. I managed a personal best at Thunderhill @1:53. I don't agree with how NASA Norcal is run, but it was still a fun race despite the gross grouping of cars. I was fighting some aeropush (too much rear wing). I only went through 12 gallons of 91 octane all weekend. We had 7 NP01's there, but were supposed to have 8.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQsI6NXJog&t=1083s
    Last edited by Plavan; 04-20-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

Couldn't keep watching... audio is off ... =/
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    1721 times

Anyone running those in SCCA? Maybe the NP01 is a P2 car there?

Liked
    3 times

looks great ! How much work is it to maintain, and run a NP01?

Liked
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Anyone running those in SCCA? Maybe the NP01 is a P2 car there?
    There will be one sometime this year. They updated the motor (bigger), and may run in SCCA. For now, we are no longer racing with NASA Norcal becasue of their grouping and combining so many cars in one group. It is like a Lemons race any time we race Norcal NASA. SoCal is so much better run.
    bawareca likes this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    1969 911ST vintage racer

Liked
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineFD View Post
    looks great ! How much work is it to maintain, and run a NP01?
    Pennies. literally. Less than Miata maintenance. This is my 3rd year racing it. I have only changed the front rotors twice ($129 each), front brake pads once (free from contingency cash), and change the oil in motor and sequential transmission every 2 or 3 races. That is it. Best bang for the buck.
    Thanks,

Chad
    1969 911ST vintage racer

Liked
    1721 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    There will be one sometime this year. They updated the motor (bigger), and may run in SCCA. For now, we are no longer racing with NASA Norcal becasue of their grouping and combining so many cars in one group. It is like a Lemons race any time we race Norcal NASA. SoCal is so much better run.
    I don't like that gt3 and bmw SUV being able to run over the top of an np01 or have another 1000lbs to punt you off track or worse. That's why I asked about scca.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    Did the NP-01s start with a Mazda 2.0 MZR? What engine will you be using next? Do people just want more power?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Did the NP-01s start with a Mazda 2.0 MZR? What engine will you be using next? Do people just want more power?
    Yes, they all have sealed slightly upgraded MZR motors which are sealed for Spec competition (185hp at flywheel). It also has a dry sump for the crazy G's you pull. As long as there is a good Spec field, I'm staying Spec. It is a blast.

If I were to upgrade, a 2.3L Ecoboost crate motor would fit, but then you would need to run all the intercooler and turbo stuff. Not impossible at all. The other option is a 2.5L NA motor. Once you go to either of these motors, you will surpass the torque rating on our Sadev 6 Speed Sequential transaxle. Sadev now make a drop in unit that does not require any mods to our suspension, ect. It can handle much more torque if you upgrade the motor.

Do you need more HP in a ~1500 pound car? Throw some Hoosiers on it and dump the Toyo Spec DOT tires and you will drop 4-5 seconds a lap in Spec form. That would be ~1:48's 1:49's at TH, ~1:44 or 1:45's at BW CW13, ~1:21's or 1:22's WS.

Does it need more power? I think any racer would always say yes, but it really does not need it. That is what makes it so cheap to run!
    Last edited by Plavan; 04-21-2018 at 07:32 AM.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    1969 911ST vintage racer

Liked
    66 times

I hear ya- We are so agile, we can get out of the way fast. We pass most everyone from our cornering speeds/exit speeds/brake zone. Which is why people sometimes don't see us. Drag racing down the straights does not work with these cars. The NP01's are pretty robust as long as you have the Billet uprights. There were some issues with the original cast uprights if you got a little bump.
    Thanks,

Chad
    1969 911ST vintage racer

+ Reply to Thread