+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Some A$$ Stole My Racing Gear !!!

Liked
    1477 times

Default Some A$$ Stole My Racing Gear !!!

I store my Formula Mazda, trailer, and Suburban tow vehicle at a shop on the grounds of Willow Springs Int'l Raceway. The FM is stored inside the shop but the Suburban and trailer are stored outside. After my last race weekend at Sonoma in June, my support guy drove the rig back to Willow Springs while I flew home from NorCal with my son.

My racing suit and all my other racing gear were in the back of the Suburban, which was locked. When I got to Willow Springs this morning to drive the FM for the first time since the Sonoma race weekend, the driving suit was there, but all the other gear was gone! My almost new helmet and Hans device, 2 pretty new pairs of driving gloves, my Puma driving shoes, which are old but still in good shape, new arm restraints, and Nomex balaclava and pair of socks, the duffel bag there were in, and my FM SCCA logbook with 2012 annual tech sign-off, all were stolen. The Suburban was locked and there was no broken window, so how the thief did this is a mystery.

The helmet is a white Simpson (can't remember model, but I'll look for the invoice) with an SCCA 2012 tech sticker on it. The Hans is a large 30 degree model, which is only useful in an open wheel race car where you recline way more than in a modified street car. If anybody sees this stuff for sale on the 'net, please let me know.

Damn! To replace everything will cost about $1,500.

Lucky thing I had another helmet with me, or my track day might have been blown. I guess I could have rented one.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Is it possible that the stuff was stolen while the Suburban was still in Sonoma? Seems more likely that someone grabbed the stuff up there before your mechanic left than mysteriously got in and relocked everything. Plus, they would have taken everything if they got in at Willow Springs. Someone might have even known it was your stuff and that your suit wouldn't fit them so they left it.

Either way, that sucks and I'm sorry it happened. Part of why I'm getting an enclosed trailer is to keep everything inside it, my 4Runner was broken into at the Novato Oaks Best Western a few years back and they took a bunch of stuff that I couldn't carry into the hotel. Of course in the future, someone will just have to steal my whole trailer . . .
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ No, my trackside support guy is sure the stuff was still in the Suburban when he got back to Willow Springs, and I'm sure it was there when he dropped me and my son in San Francisco on his way back to Willow.

Nobody would want the driving suit. It is really filthy and sweaty. I meant to wash it with Molecule before the Sonoma weekend, but didn't get around to it. I took it home with me today to wash it before the next time I wear it.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-01-2012 at 06:57 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    366 times

Someone might have called triple A to unlock your car and pretend they owned it, got the stuff out and then locked the car. Just throwing out ideas.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Or just a thief who has and knows how to use the same tools the AAA has.

Liked
    366 times

Alright Ill come clean. I have your stuff. =D

I pee'd in your racing suit, too. I wouldn't recommend wearing it.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Or just a thief who has and knows how to use the same tools the AAA has.
    That is pretty much every mechanic.Every shop has tools to lockout most of the domestic and japanese cars.
    I am sorry to hear that and I feel for you.So many things and cars have been stolen from me,I can probably stop working for 5-6 years if I get everything back.You just cant rely on anyone these days.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I am sorry to hear that someone thought he needed your gear more than you did. We should revert back to taking hands as punishment. There would be less theft not because the punishment deters crime, but because thieves can't be repeat offenders. Until then... shoot on sight?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I am sorry to hear that someone thought he needed your gear more than you did. We should revert back to taking hands as punishment. There would be less theft not because the punishment deters crime, but because thieves can't be repeat offenders. Until then... shoot on sight?
    You are one bent phuck . . .

Liked
    15 times

damn sorry to hear that sheriff
    assholes everywhere nowadays
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    464 times

That sucks. Sorry to hear that.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    2283 times

That's sucks. Always thought tracks are safe from thieves.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    375 times

Call the area pawn shops.

Liked
    704 times

The upside is at least they didn't break any windows that would have left your Suburban exposed possibly causing added damage to the interior.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

BOOM!Tough Actin Tinactin minorthreat's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

hope you find your stuff. sorry to hear
    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Liked
    2243 times

Sorry to hear that, Richard. We'll keep an eye out on the 'net for your stuff. Please, please, please let the thief post it for sale here.

Liked
    464 times

Willow has had a few problems with thives the last cople of years. Pit bicycles missing, helmets. But this is the first time I've heard of the shops around the area having a problem.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Willow has had a few problems with thives the last cople of years. Pit bicycles missing, helmets. But this is the first time I've heard of the shops around the area having a problem.
    The gear was in the back of my locked Suburban, parked outside the shop.

Liked
    97 times

Man that sucks.. My buddy got his truck broken into twice in the same month, and got a bunch of his stuff stolen. I feel your pain, albeit indirectly.

Something to consider possibly:... My buddy now hides two deer cameras (motion/heat activated with night vision IR) to watch his truck and boat when he leaves it for extended periods. Of course it won't save his gear, but at least he'll know who the phuck was that touched his sheit. It takes high-definition pictures/video and only gets triggered if something moves so it can be left alone for months at a time. It records the date and time for each picture it took.

Something like this is what he has: Amazon.com: Primos Truth Cam 35 Camera: Sports & Outdoors

Liked
    22 times

I learned the hard way that auto insurance does not cover personal property. Take it home with you but do not leave it in the car.

If you ever catch someone and you want to break them of the babit, call me and I will give them a little Texas Judgement they will never forget!

Hard to steal with compound fractures of both arms and their legs if I have to chase them.

Cops won't go anything to them or me either for that matter.
    Last edited by vetteguy2005; 09-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

+ Reply to Thread