+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeColangelo
  • 1 Post By jnathan68
  • 1 Post By Gian
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO
  • 2 Post By BigHapa
  • 1 Post By craZee

Thread: So I went drag racing last night...

Liked
    237 times

Default So I went drag racing last night...

...and it was fun!

The Saturday Night Drags at Willow Springs started this month and will continue into the fall. The big track's front straight was used as the strip and it was for 1000', not the usual 1/4 mile. I was there last night with my Boss 302 Mustang. I did 5 runs, and won 2 of them.

Most of my runs were in the low 12s, high 11s at around 95 mph. Again, this is for 1000 ft, not the 1/4 mile. And on street tires.

It's harder than it looks. Reaction time off the line is challenging and there is a technique to it. I was lousy at first but got better as the night progressed. My last run had a reaction time of 0.238 sec which is respectable at the amateur level. The really good drivers had reaction times around 0.050 or so. That's damn good!

I struggled with shifting. The Boss 302's stock shifter is notorious for not letting you in the right gear (or any gear) under hard acceleration and a couple of my shift's had a delay as a result.

Still it was fun. And cheap. $10 to get in and $10 to race as many times as you want from 6 pm to 11 pm.

Also, there were lots of cars. Must have been at least 100 cars racing. Lots of Mustangs and Hondas (even an S2000!). Many guys were running slicks or drag radials. I used stock street tires and struggled getting hooked up coming out of the gate. Lots of wheel spin which made it fun...and slow!

The most impressive car there was a Nissan GT-R which did the the 1000 ft in 8.something seconds at 143 mph. That's smoking! It was ridiculous.

The coolest thing were the many fans in abundance. I'm not used to that!

I did this once before last year and I'm sure I'll do it again. Anybody else here into drag racing?
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    51 times

On a couple random occasions I have done some drag racing and I definitely enjoyed it. Trying to improve your reaction time, your shifting, etc. is fun...just not as fun as running around a track :-). It goes big tracks, autocross and then drag racing for me.

And yes, when I had my Boss 302, the shifter/trans was the weak point. Even with the shifter kit, still not great. But fun car overall
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    ...and it was fun!

The Saturday Night Drags at Willow Springs started this month and will continue into the fall. The big track's front straight was used as the strip and it was for 1000', not the usual 1/4 mile. I was there last night with my Boss 302 Mustang. I did 5 runs, and won 2 of them.

Most of my runs were in the low 12s, high 11s at around 95 mph. Again, this is for 1000 ft, not the 1/4 mile. And on street tires.

It's harder than it looks. Reaction time off the line is challenging and there is a technique to it. I was lousy at first but got better as the night progressed. My last run had a reaction time of 0.238 sec which is respectable at the amateur level. The really good drivers had reaction times around 0.050 or so. That's damn good!

I struggled with shifting. The Boss 302's stock shifter is notorious for not letting you in the right gear (or any gear) under hard acceleration and a couple of my shift's had a delay as a result.

Still it was fun. And cheap. $10 to get in and $10 to race as many times as you want from 6 pm to 11 pm.

Also, there were lots of cars. Must have been at least 100 cars racing. Lots of Mustangs and Hondas (even an S2000!). Many guys were running slicks or drag radials. I used stock street tires and struggled getting hooked up coming out of the gate. Lots of wheel spin which made it fun...and slow!

The most impressive car there was a Nissan GT-R which did the the 1000 ft in 8.something seconds at 143 mph. That's smoking! It was ridiculous.

The coolest thing were the many fans in abundance. I'm not used to that!

I did this once before last year and I'm sure I'll do it again. Anybody else here into drag racing?
    Never been a big fan, but would like to try it once for fun.

The stang 5sp sucks donkey balls for shifting. Even with a up graded ****er. You can get a Viper box fitted in you case, or go 6sp. Both hurt the pocket book
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

Mike -

When did you become a redneck?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Mike -

We all are............deep inside

Liked
    855 times

Do you have your 60 foot time?

I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one, but it seems like this is a pretty key number for drag guys as it reflects reaction time, hook up, gears, and grunt.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 06-28-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Liked
    237 times

They didn't give 60 ft times. That'd be interesting to see.

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Mike -

Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it!

And if Rob Burgoon can do roundy-roundy racing on dirt, surely I can do straight line racing.

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    They didn't give 60 ft times. That'd be interesting to see.
    Ran across this:

Converting 60-ft times to 0-60 MPH times - LS1TECH

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Never been a big fan, but would like to try it once for fun.

The stang 5sp sucks donkey balls for shifting. Even with a up graded ****er. You can get a Viper box fitted in you case, or go 6sp. Both hurt the pocket book
    I don't know how they are for the later model stuff but with the shortest stick these work pretty good on a T45 https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs

Liked
    40 times

I did the Wednesday Night Drags at Sonoma once in my Audi. It was a lot of fun, at least once. It's "dial in" racing - so any car can win. As in a mom in a van. People bring everything - from full up drag cars to P-cars.

Three tips...

- Study up on how dial in works re setting your time.

- Do not write your dial in with shoe polish. A PITA to get off. Get one of those tempera paint markers.

- Go on a night where a Civic doesn't 'splode 100 ft. into the run then keeps going all the way leaving a trail of fluids and metal bits. Took an hour of practice time to clean up even using the "flame Zamboni" (I don't know what it was but it acted like a Zamboni and had flames - cool).
    Last edited by billybobster; 06-28-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Liked
    12 times

Too bad they don't provide 60 ft times, those are key to drag racing. When drag racing was cool (late 90s/early 00s) I used to catch people bull****ting about quarter mile runs by asking for 60 ft times, the biggest morons would reply with 0-60 mph times instead.

Drag racing was my thing from age 15 to 21. I spent my spare time reading Turbo magazine & Super Street, idolizing the fastest Honda drag racing crews in LA - Split Second (South Bay), Wicked (SGV), Cyber (Valley), Lucky (Cerritos). It was a pretty fun scene, very grassroots with some fun characters and even a few hot chicks.

Never did get into the "12 second club" which was my goal, but I had a lot of fun drag racing at the Street Legals at Pomona. Battle of the Imports at LACR in Palmdale was also pretty fun with tons of fans. It's a damn shame that you can't drag race at Pomona anymore, it's arguably the most historic dragstrip in the world.

Running the 1320 was fun, but after discovering road racing tracks I haven't looked back. It's true that it's not as easy as you might think, but it is a somewhat limited form of motorsport. The guy with the most expensive setup usually wins. I feel like drag racing is 80% setup/20% driver while road racing is 20% setup/80% driver. Drag racing also chews up cars, especially FWD cars. I remember having a feeling that my motor could blow on any given run.

So as much as I don't really miss drag racing, there will always be a part of me that wants to do a huge burnout, build boost at the line with a 2 step rev limiter, and break off whoever I'm lined up against with a mean holeshot. Even though I'm a Honda guy I sometimes fantasize about building a 10 second El Camino as an antithesis to all the pendejos out there in their Bentleys

Drag racing is fun. But there's a hell of a lot of sitting around in the pits between runs.
    Last edited by BigHapa; 06-29-2015 at 12:03 AM.
    Loose Caboose and F@ck like this.
    AP1 S2000 w/KW V3s on 255 RS3s (square setup)

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    I don't know how they are for the later model stuff but with the shortest stick these work pretty good on a T45 https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs
    That's what I have. Still getting it into gear at anything above 6500rpm is hit miss sort of thing.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    2243 times

I started off drag racing, then when I wanted to drive for more than 15 seconds, I went to autocross. Then, when wanted to drive for more than 45 seconds I moved on to HPDE and road racing.

As a motorsport, drag racing has more participants than any other because it can be run Wednesday nights and every Saturday night during the season. When I lived in Florida, the season was nearly year round. It's also a lot more affordable as a "sportsman" racer, but we all know how escalation can take hold.

Liked
    448 times

Never did get into the "12 second club" which was my goal,

I am a member of the "12 second club" but it doesn't have anything to do with cars.

craZee
    BigHapa likes this.

+ Reply to Thread