+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So how do i get started?

Liked
    0 times

Default So how do i get started?

I am very new to this site and completely unexperienced in track driving.

I have a 2000 mazda miata with slightly modified suspension that i use daily rain or shine. I would like to start driving in a few open track days this summer but have no clue where to start.

I think it would be a good idea for me to get a predictable set of summer tires (probably 205/50/15) for a set of 6UL wheels that i am thinking about purchasing. Any suggestions for predictable tire choices? I was thinking about the Kumho MX or Toyo T1R.

I live in south central PA. What track(s) would be good to look at in terms of costs, open days, good helpful people?

Are there and certain safety regulations that i need to worry about, or gear i need to buy?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbe.

-Jared-

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by swimming108 View Post
    I am very new to this site and completely unexperienced in track driving.

I have a 2000 mazda miata with slightly modified suspension that i use daily rain or shine. I would like to start driving in a few open track days this summer but have no clue where to start.

I think it would be a good idea for me to get a predictable set of summer tires (probably 205/50/15) for a set of 6UL wheels that i am thinking about purchasing. Any suggestions for predictable tire choices? I was thinking about the Kumho MX or Toyo T1R.

I live in south central PA. What track(s) would be good to look at in terms of costs, open days, good helpful people?

Are there and certain safety regulations that i need to worry about, or gear i need to buy?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbe.

-Jared-
    Welcome to TrackHQ! I recommend Falken Azenis RT-615 for summer tires. I'm not from PA, so I can't help recommend any tracks.

Liked
    10 times

first look for all the tracks near you, then check their calendar, and find clubs that host events

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

You can check the map at Trackpedia to look for tracks near you.

http://www.trackpedia.com/

Welcome to the addiction!

Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    34 times

Hey Jared,
    The RT615 are not bad for the price. I only tried 2 different street tires on the track. RT615 and RE01R. I feel the RE01Rs are a lot more predictable at and beyond the limit.

Safty requirements are usually determine by the event organizers. So they will be different depending on who you run with. Some will require SA helmets othes will accept M. Shorts/Pants, Long/short sleeve tops, etc, etc... Its best to ask the organizer when you find an event.

have fun!!!!

Oh, you might also want to check your regional NASA and SCCA sites for HPDEs.

Liked
    0 times

Wow, i really didn't expect such a warm mature welcome! I was bracing my self for some newbie bashing and JDM lingo being thrown at me.

I think i just found my new favorite site.

Thanks for the link to Trackpedia, it looks like the closest track to me is Summit Point Raceway. Is anybody a track rat from there, that can give me a few pointers.

Thanks for the tire tips, i will look onto those.

The only helmet i have is a full face motorcycle helmet. I will have to find it and see what certifications it complies with.

Do you guys think that i will need a set of track dedicated brake pads or will street pads be sufficient on my light weight car while i learn.

Liked
    10 times

change brake fluid first, then start with some perforamce street pads, find your favorite padel feel, upgrade them when you upgrade tires

RE01R, AD07, KD, MX, RS2, RT615, R1R, 595RS

I list all good street tires for you, choose one fits your budget and needs

Liked
    6 times

Full face motorcycle helmets should be ok depending on the track event. SNELL code should be current.

Also, with a Miata or any convertible, make sure you have the protection of a roll bar. If you don't already, there are good, inexpensive bars like Hard Dog on the Miata forum.
    http://forum.miata.net/vb/index.php?

Liked
    0 times

The hard dog bar is the way to go with the miata. I think I got mine from flyin miata.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    The hard dog bar is the way to go with the miata. I think I got mine from flyin miata.
    I had a Hard Dog Hard Core Double-Diamond in my car and liked it. Only took it out when I wanted the car to be Solo specific and needed to cut weight.

Check inside the helmet under the lining for the holographic Snell certification. That's the only one that counts. Some helmet makers put Snell on a sticker on the back of the outside, but that's not really proof.

I have a Biefe SA 2000 helmet I like a lot. It's almost 7 years old, so probably close to retirement.

Liked
    0 times

Full face motorcycle helmets should be ok depending on the track event. SNELL code should be current.
    I still can't find mine, but it is only a couple years old so i am sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the tip on the roll bar, it looks like flyin miata has a sale on the hard dog bars for all of January.

Liked
    2 times

theres only two things you really need, brakes and tires. you really don't need them if you're a beginner or are doing ok on it. just go out there and expose yourself.

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by shinkuu View Post
    just go out there and expose yourself.
    My thoughts exactly...

Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2282 times

I have 2 Miatas. I also have 6UL wheels.

since you are running 6UL 15x8 wheels, you should run 225/45-15, almost always faster than 205/50-15 (except for long straight, short turn tracks). only street tire in 225/45-15 is RS2 Hankook.

get a roll bar installed, flush your brake fluid, put on some decent brake pads (Carbotech is one of favorite of Miata, 6UL guy sells them). and go drive !! Miata is as ready for track as they come (except for some pesky Elise/Exige/S2k).
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

i don't have the 6UL's yet but i would much rather get them this spring to use on the track than my stock rims.

Plus the tires are a definite must, since the hard all weather tires i have on there now are really unpredictable. One day they they are smooth and break away slowly, the next they grip hard and break away suddenly. This is on the same set of corners that i drive to work on every day.

The only tires i can find in 225/45/15 are Nitto NT-01, and the Toyo RA-1 and these are a little extreme for my purposes.

-Where did You find the Hankook tires in that size?
    -How much$?
    -How much camber will i need to run to be able to tuck these rims comfortably into the wells? Emilio at 949 used to make them in 40mm offset, but now i think he only offers them in 36mm. You should also probably know that my car is a little lower than stock. I have the suspension setup from Flyin Miata (FM sways, FM springs, KYB AGX)

Liked
    0 times

Another system to double check along with doing the brake pads/fluid flush is the cooling system. Long runs at high RPMs on a hot day will expose any weakness. Hoses, thermostat, rad. cap are good things to replace. Don't forget to check those little P.I.T.A. hoses from the throttle body to the oil filter. Those suckers last a long time, so unless they look suspect you can leave them be.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by swimming108 View Post

The only tires i can find in 225/45/15 are Nitto NT-01, and the Toyo RA-1 and these are a little extreme for my purposes.

-Where did You find the Hankook tires in that size?
    -How much$?
    I would say stick with the worst tires you have while first learning, and then get a set of 615's or something similar. Going to an RA-1 or NT01 or similar will just mask your mistakes and not make you a better driver.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    10 times

need to find out it's driver or tires more unpredictable~

Liked
    0 times

also, here is another site that has good prices on miata parts: http://www.good-win-racing.com/

Brian Goodwin runs it. I haven't seen him in awhile, but he's a good guy. I used to see him around the track awhile ago. He is pretty fast in the miatas and his rx8.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    also, here is another site that has good prices on miata parts: http://www.good-win-racing.com/

Brian Goodwin runs it. I haven't seen him in awhile, but he's a good guy. I used to see him around the track awhile ago. He is pretty fast in the miatas and his rx8.
    +1 for Brian. He's been around Miatas for quite a while. Same for Emilio at 949.
    +++++++++++++
    "The history of liberty is a history of resistance." -- Nadia Boulanger
    Member SCCA > Cal Club Region > Pacific Sports Car Club
    1994 CSP Miata [Hmm, what to do next ... ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast