+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smart Phones and Service Providers?

Liked
    1477 times

Default Smart Phones and Service Providers?

My 2-year contract for my Blackberry with AT&T service is up this month and I want to decide what to do next. I use it primarily for email, some internet use and cell phone use, but I had 900 minutes/month cell phone, and I never came close to using all those minutes, I just don't use my cell phone very much. I text message even less. I had a limited plan with 200 text messages/month and never came anywhere near using them all.

I like Blackberry because it is focused on email, which is my main use for the device, for both work and personal use.

I am considering the new iPhone or some other device, but I have had Blackberrys for years and like them, although the model I had this last time, the Pearl, absolutely sucked because it didn't have a full keyboard, two letters for each key. Also very slow in internet because it is a small unit with a small CPU.

I have never had an iPhone and I generally have trouble understanding Apple products, they are counter-intuitive to me. I'm a PC and Blackberry guy, but I'm willing to make a change. I know the iPhone only has a touch keyboard on the screen.

I know a lot of people don't like AT&T's cell service, but I didn't have a lot of problems with it. Verizon, Sprint, and others I have had in the past were worse.

AT&T wants a 2-year contract, of course, or they charge you through the ying-yang for the phone. What do you think I should do?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-11-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    142 times

Having had booth a CrackBerry and a I-pwned [iPhone] I change phones almost every 18 months. I would say keep the BlackBerry it has some features that I miss like being able to shut it's self on and off at set times, a replaceable battery and so on. The iPhone really is only for mobile web browsing [I use about 400 Mb a month] and the phone isn't all that great and ther are cheeper MP3 players. It would be a better phone but the "Death Star" AT&T crippled it . The data plan is $30 a month vs $15 for the BlackBerry. Yet for all of that I am a fanboy of the Apple so I guess I will go and stand in line on the 24th.
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 06-11-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    22 times

I use a Blackberry Storm for work because we are not allowed to use Apple and I have an I phone for my personal use. The I phone is superior in my mind, not even close.

It has all kinds of applications you can use at the track. I will show you some this weekend.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    27 times

Try the Palm Pre.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    546 times

Right now you can get a good deal on the current generation iPhone as AT&T clears the decks for the iPhone v4, which comes out in a couple of weeks. And for you, you'd be plenty happy with the iPhone.

That said, if you wait until a bit later in the year there should be a significantly improved BlackBerry (with regards to web browsing).

I also like Android, and you can get the Verizon Droid for cheap, and it has a keyboard and everything. You might find that more "PC" than the iPhone.

Steve

Liked
    41 times

I use an HTC Incredible (Verizon), which is considered the flagship android device on the market for now, and I haven't looked back.

The phone is fast enough that it can (literally) run any iphone app though emulation

I believe Nam purchased one on launch day like I did, and last I heard, he's completely happy with his as well.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Motorola droid on verizon. About 5 months and i am completely happy with it. long time verizon user here. Droid will do everything iclone will do and then some. Let's nickel and diming tham apple along the way. Dictated this entire forum posts by google voice what was driving up here. No the little white slave won't do that
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Try the Palm Pre.
    Are you happy with it and what do you do/don't like about it? I am thinking about getting the Pre +

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Are you happy with it and what do you do/don't like about it? I am thinking about getting the Pre +
    I like mine. It does everything I want it to do and more. The only thing I don't like about it is that it feels like it is really cheaply constructed. That said, I've had it since November and it still feels like it did when it was new.

Seriously, I've had Sprint for years and they have always worked well for me. I think the Pre Plus is now through Verizon, if I am not mistaken. I tried Verizon in the past and was not as happy with their coverage, but everyone has different needs. I need cell reception in my hospital and it was there with Sprint. Verizon had zero to one bar in the hospital.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    41 times

Motorola Droid 2 is pretty sick... previewed one.

I love the physical keyboard.

Liked
    142 times

Thanks DocNrock,

That sealed the deal for me. I have had enough of the iPhone and I don't want the new one. Being able to replace the battery is a plus.
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 06-19-2010 at 05:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread