+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skip Barber MX-5 Challenge Dec13/14(rd.3/4)

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default Skip Barber MX-5 Laguna Seca Dec13/14(rd.3/4)

Hey trackhq buddies,

I am in the motel @ Monterey while typing this. Today was practice+ qualifying. During qualifying, I pitted out from the back of the pack so I spaced myself out in the first lap, then luckily qualified pole. I am going to race round 3 and 4 of the 08/09 MX5 challenge series tomorrow. The level of competition is increasing each time as my competitors are getting faster and faster, I really have to work extra hard to drive as consistently as possible so that I dont make mistakes in the race tomorrow. Will update you guys after the race again.

Wish me luck!

Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pole-position.jpg  
    Last edited by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong; 12-13-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Liked
    1 times

good luck bro.. have fun!
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    2 times

waoh! good chit!

Liked
    6 times

Cool! Go Charles, Go MX5s!

Liked
    546 times

What's the schedule for the races? We might meander down that way to watch the action.

Steve

Liked
    0 times

Well done! Good luck tomorrow!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    What's the schedule for the races? We might meander down that way to watch the action.

Steve
    9:30 race 1, afternoon race 2. Come watch )

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    then luckily qualified pole.
    Charles
    if you out qualified by 0.01, that's luck. you out qualified next guy by 0.2, and most by 2 seconds+ , I would call that "DOMINATION"
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    if you out qualified by 0.01, that's luck. you out qualified next guy by 0.2, and most by 2 seconds+ , I would call that "DOMINATION"
    Agreed .2 is a little more than luck!

Liked
    34 times

no guys, Charles is the real deal. How dare you even bring up luck.

Liked
    0 times

Yeah Charles, how dare you!

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by lttletimmy View Post
    Yeah Charles, how dare you!
    oops, what a dork. I read this post in two stages. First on my phone when i was out. Then when i got home i saw William's and sleeperlove's posts.

Liked
    0 times

I wish I could bring you guys good news, however, the weekend didnt go too well.

Race 1: (Dry/semi wet track)

I started out on pole and I led my way through the 15th out of 16 laps, P2 car was real close to my butt but I made no mistakes, we had many moments like going two wide at corkcrew TWICE, turn 2 at least 3 times, turn 5, turn 10, turn 11, and many nose to tail almost touching moments. Then, we really touched slightly on the entry of T3 as he was trying to take the inside line, but it didnt work and I held my position until second final lap until I mishifted into 3rd on the start-finish straight after coming out of the last corner. He then squeezed in from the inside between me and the pit wall, I was in the beginning trying to merge to the left a bit just to give him a sign of defensive driving, however, I didnt know it was too close to him, and he just took a slight brush on my driver side door, then passed me in T2 as I already went wide. It was a great race, however, as the Skip Barber rule says that any contact between cars will be a 20 sec penalty on both cars. Therefore, even tho they didnt count our very slight touch at T3, they had to count the one that happened on the straight away, we both got 20 secs penalty and ended up P4 and P6, even tho in reality, we finished 1st and 2nd. It was good that no damage was done, nothing needed to be fixed. Race 1 it was.

Race 2: (Wet Track)

I started out P6, initially, my goal was to get back to podium finisher. I did very well on first lap, passed P5 on the exit of T2, then passed P4 at T11. I then became P4! on the second lap, it started pouring on the other side of the track as half the track we were racing on were still light showering. I didn't know that, as I came thru the straight from T5 to T6, the track got more wet, and instantly, the guy in front spun out in T6 at about 80mph, and I was following real close. All I saw in front was a car went completely sideways and was squared with me at the apex of the turn, I had no choice but to go off to the right to avoid T-boning him. Then I got off the gravel to the right of him, and I saw a wall right next to me, so I immediately swerve back on the the racing surface. As I got back to the surface and thought I just had a close call, the nightmare really didn't end, the car behind hit me hard, I assumed that he didn't see me but that was an uphill straight, I still wonder why he couldn't avoid me on a uphill straightway when I could avoid an 80mph spun car at the apex of the turn. I fishtailed a few times after the hit and checked the rear mirror, his car was damaged and one headlamp was out. I heard my exhaust dragging and I knew that was the end of my race. I had my car checked and the exhaust was bent, my bumper was a bit damaged, but luckily, my damage was a LOT less than the other car who hit me, so it didn't cost me much. I couldn't continue racing, so I pitted disappointingly.

But all in all, I learned a lot today. I now understand that winning races is a lot more than being a good driver, that is the prerequisite( at least in identical machinery and tires) . To be able to observe ones surroundings on track, to predict the weather and grip level at each corner, to drive strategically against different competitors, to avoid stupid drivers to do stupid things to you at the wrong time..etc is the key to success. I still need many years of racing to learn the truth of it.

And today, I ran out of talent, ran out of luck.

Thanks REN motorsports crew for coming to support, and Robbie, nice seeing you on track, I did my best but will try harder next time
    Last edited by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong; 12-14-2008 at 06:48 PM.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Great and mature outlook Charles. If you can walk away from a bad weekend like this with that knowledge and experience, you will have taken a huge step in your driving career and better results will come from it in the future.

Treat it as a learning experience, keep up the great attitude, and good results will follow.

Liked
    1 times

Charles - You can't win them all! At least you had some good experiences and can store it in your tool box for future races. As BJ and I can contest too, racing is a lot of luck too and sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But that's racing and next race weekend its another opportunity to do well. So just put these races behind you, learn from them, and move on.

Great seeing you too...
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Great and mature outlook Charles. If you can walk away from a bad weekend like this with that knowledge and experience, you will have taken a huge step in your driving career and better results will come from it in the future.

Treat it as a learning experience, keep up the great attitude, and good results will follow.

Sorry to hear about the contact and glad to see you are okay. You always have a good attitude and it's always fun to read your updates on your W2W transition.

Just don't forget about us lowly HPDE guys when you are passing Hamilton on 130R at Suzuka!

Liked
    0 times

Me in car 16 and P2 in car 45

Picture 1-3: T3 action: when P2 punted me slightly

Picture 4: P2 passed me on the LAST lap of race 1 as I misshifted 3rd gear.

Picture 5: The Rolling Start in Race 1 with me in pole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lc140569.jpg   lc140570.jpg  

lc140571.jpg   lc140581.jpg  

Attached Images  
    Last edited by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong; 12-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post

Thx. Will keep the words in mind

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
    Charles - You can't win them all! At least you had some good experiences and can store it in your tool box for future races. As BJ and I can contest too, racing is a lot of luck too and sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But that's racing and next race weekend its another opportunity to do well. So just put these races behind you, learn from them, and move on.

Great seeing you too...
    Thx.

Luck is important and I wish a person can give himself luck hehe How come its always the MX5 group that gets the partial weather change during our race? LOL. Other groups either get dry or wet track, we always get semi wet from T1 to T5 and the other side of the track will start pouring!

Quote Originally Posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post

Sorry to hear about the contact and glad to see you are okay. You always have a good attitude and it's always fun to read your updates on your W2W transition.

Just don't forget about us lowly HPDE guys when you are passing Hamilton on 130R at Suzuka!
    Glad to know that you enjoy my write-ups haha, frankly enough its all my true thoughts

Liked
    546 times

Charles,

Sorry we didn't make it down there to watch; it sounds like it was more exciting than usual.

Don't feel bad about the rain. That's Laguna. I got caught in almost the exact same situation where everything seemed okay right up to turn 5, and POW! I was sideways looking at 9 cars streaming by before I could get moving again.

People spinning out of six is always exciting. You get into a situation where if you lift on the exit you spin and become more of the incident, coupled with knowing in a tight race if you give up anything there you will get beaten like a baby seal on and ice floe all the way up that hill.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast