+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Simulators?

Liked
    609 times

Default Simulators?

I seem to recall that there re some folks with fairly interesting simulators. I'm sorta toying with the idea, since it's going to be a while before I can pull real G's and exertion again.. But I definitely want something more than just a game controller and a Playstation or Xbox.

The top of my budget to avoid being smacked around by my wife is probably $2,000.

Any thoughts, knowledge, would be greatly apreciated.

Steve

Liked
    165 times

iRacing!

You need a decent pc + graphics card, a wheel + pedals (logitec g27 is a decent starter kit) and either one large monitor or ideally triples.

It has a good physics model, laser-scanned tracks, and a vibrant racing community.

Liked
    26 times

For $2k, I'd give a long look at Fanatec Clubsport controls if you already have a decent PC (just upgrade the graphic card and ram) if not, build out a decent PC for around $1,200-$1,500, then buy a Logitec G27, toss those pedals and buy Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals, and a playseat chassis.

Have a look at iRacing, Project Cars and Asseto Corse for software.

I swear by sim -- learned how to race and do high-performance driving in it. It's fantastic these days.

Liked
    1720 times

Anyone demo or have the occulus rift VR glasses instead of monitors?

Liked
    26 times

I use the rift dk2 and it is a fantastic experience once you get used to the lack of resolution (half-res ) and some of the other quirks. I run that and a large single monitor for backup.

Liked
    2363 times

Shameless plug for Logitech set I'm selling:

Logitech iRacing controls

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

With the recent consumer launch of the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, triple monitors are now outdated. Assetto Corsa, i-racing, and Project Cars support those Virtual Reality devices. Build a $1,500 computer, get a $600 playseat, and procure a $400 G27, and you'll have yourself a functional simulator that lacks only g-force feedback.

Note that I-racing and Assetto Corsa are not plug and play compatible yet. You'll need to mess with old Oculus runtimes to get them working.

I've been using the DK2 with Assetto Corsa, and it is a life changing experience. I strongly suggest you demo VR before purchasing it. Everyone responds differently. Some get nauseous.

EDIT I just saw your budget, and it's doable.

Obtain DK2 on craigslist. I bought mine for $300 a few months ago.

Obtain used G27 ($200-300)

Make a cockpit out of wood and nails $75
    with cheap ebay bucket seat + $100
    or use a desk $0

Build budget gaming PC $1,000 (good enough for current gen racing games and more than enough for iracing)
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 04-03-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    bawareca likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    165 times

Ehh, the real/serious sim racers still use triples. VR is still a bit of a novelty IMO.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Ehh, the real/serious sim racers still use triples. VR is still a bit of a novelty IMO.
    If they can get depth perception working correctly, that should be a massive advantage in VR. My second biggest problem with sim racing is the feeling of driving with one eye closed.

Also production versions of VR are only barely out on the market.

Liked
    609 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    My second biggest problem with sim racing is the feeling of driving with one eye closed.
    Some folks might claim that's one eye more than you have open when you actually race on track.

Sorry, I'll blame it on the new medication. (not)

Steve

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Some folks might claim that's one eye more than you have open when you actually race on track.

Sorry, I'll blame it on the new medication. (not)

Steve
    Little known fact, there are real benefits to circulating rumors around the paddock that every third corner or so you close your eyes in prayer half a second before turn in.

Liked
    817 times

Define real/serious. Do you mean in competition? Then yes, monitors would be best, because 1. 144hz refresh rate, 2. vastly superior resolution.

If it's presence, immersion, and a substititue for the real thing that one is looking for, then VR trumps any number of monitors if only because of the head tracking, position tracking, and depth perception--and that's not even getting into FOV, immersion and positional sound.

I didn't realize the extent of the elevation change at the Ring until trying it in VR. It was shocking, and makes Laguna Seca feel like a Texas interstate in comparison. That's a sensation I never obtained from a monitor.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    609 times

I think what I mean is that it should drive like a car rather than like a game. (but admittedly, it's easily been more than a decade since I last played Gran Turismo, for example)

So some semblance of realistic feedback, etc. Am I asking too much of a limited budget?

Steve

Liked
    1495 times

I think what I mean is that it should drive like a car rather than like a game. (but admittedly, it's easily been more than a decade since I last played Gran Turismo, for example)

So some semblance of realistic feedback, etc. Am I asking too much of a limited budget?

Steve
    No sim is ever going to feel anything like a car, period.

The best you can hope for is a seat that wiggles in a way that cues your "my brakes just locked up" reaction even though it's a completely different feeling than real brakes locking.

That feature isn't in your budget either, since half your budget is going to go towards building the PC if you don't already have a strong one. Likely the best you can do is a force feedback steering wheel and maybe a pressure sensitive brake pedal.

Liked
    817 times

Steve
    Not at all. Tech has improved in the last decade. The force feedback on modern wheels gives you a very good idea of how loaded the front tires are, which in turn lets you know what the back tires are doing, and modern games do a good job sending all the right signals to the wheel. A good cockpit puts your body in the position it's familiar with. VR seals the effing deal.

The Playseat is a bit too upright for my liking. I made my own cockpit, which has a position closer to a sports car.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    450 times

I convinced my boss to order an oculus rift for us the "evaluate" but it won't be here until July. Gives me some time to build a computer that can handle it and upgrade my pedals.

iRacing can suck a lot of time if you want to be competitive. I hadn't started it up since october,but I brought my rig into my office a week ago while I moved to a new hosue, and I'm itching to get back in to it.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Liked
    609 times

I want to work for your boss!

Actually, working at least some of the time would be nice, even if I can't be working flat out anymore.

Steve

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Define real/serious.
    F1 teams, Indycar teams... I see what you're saying, but my point is that VR isn't there yet. Most of the people I know of on iRacing who have a DK2 have gone back to triples. I haven't tried it myself, just going off of what the folks I race with regularly say.

Steve - I built a PC for ~$1,000, use a single 27" monitor that I made a custom mount for (to get it higher & close to the steering wheel - do some google'ing on correct fov for iRacing), and a G27. Total cost $1300 or so. It feels decently real, and I have a blast

I have a decent amount of seat time in real life in a Skip Barber Formula Dodge, and the iRacing version feels spot on. Definitely a good sim, and infinitely better than Gran Turismo/Forza.

Liked
    609 times

well, I guess I have to learn about Windows PCs again, having converted to Macs and Chromebooks a while back. And I have to clean out the 3rd bedroom to make enough room for this.

It'll take me a while (after walking 3 miles today I feel like I got t-boned by a locomotive and tossed off a cliff) but I'll get there. Just a bit every day

Steve
    J. Tyler and bawareca like this.

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I'm quicker with a DK2, even with the lower resolution.

The reason is that it's way easier for your brain to interpret the vehicle's yaw, so it's easier to maintain moderate slip angles in corners without spinning. With monitors, I'm always finding myself carrying a bit less speed through medium-high speed corners to prevent a spin -- especially on iRacing. With monitors, by the time I perceive the slip angle, it's usually too late to save it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast