+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simpson HNR - Hybrid vs. Hybrid Sport

Liked
    0 times

Default Simpson HNR - Hybrid vs. Hybrid Sport

Hi All,

Quick question on these two products, which i've linked here.

Hybrid Sport: Simpson Race Products

FIA Hybrid - also 3-Point Belt Compatible: Simpson Race Products

The "Hybrid" specifically says 3-point belt compatible.

However, at the time when i bought my "Hybrid Sport", the "3-point belt compatible" version of the "Hybrid" was not yet being sold. I specifically bought the "Hybrid Sport" to use with the OEM 3-point belts. Can I still use it with my OEM 3-point belts, or is it un-advisable?
    Am I better off just going all, OEM? I currently have a recaro SPG that fits very tightly and snugly against my hips - see below.

So, Hybrid Sport use ok with OEM 3-point or with harnesses only?

Liked
    2356 times

I don't see why you can't keep using it. It appears to function the same way as the FIA Hybrid. The FIA hybrid has a back piece that extends lower and bit different strap configuration.

I'd keep using it especially if you don't have working airbags in your car.

Liked
    223 times

It might be worth a call to Simpson to get the instructions on using the FIA version with a 3-point (I don't believe the online manual covers 3-point usage for even the FIA).

I don't expect Simpson to say the Sport is okay for use with a 3-point. But at least they can verify that you're using the Sport similarly to how the FIA version was intended for a 3-point, and secondly perhaps highlight any subtle physical differences between the Sport and FIA that might be significant.

Whether you're better off with or without it I can't say. The similarities between models are strikingly similar, withstanding the difference Brett mentioned.

Since you already have the seat, is a 5pt plus harness bar an option?

Granted you're making compromises either way, but I understand you're trying to do best you can. If you do go this way, take time to use the right hardware on the anchor points (I know you will). We see far too many compromised installs - undersized grade 2ish hardware through 22 ga steel type of stuff - or belt geometries that can have deadly results (e.g. WSIR '08 T9).

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

My understanding is that these devices work independently of the seat belts. The device is anchored to your body, unlike a HANS which is anchored to your shoulders via shoulder belts. I believe the literature that came with mine specifically stated as much.

My understanding is also that basular skull fracture--the injury this device prevents--is virtually impossible in a three-point OEM belt and that you'd see no benefit wearing this device.

However, if anyone has any information correcting mine, then it should be shared.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    My understanding is also that basular skull fracture--the injury this device prevents--is virtually impossible in a three-point OEM belt and that you'd see no benefit wearing this device.
    This is my understanding too. It is not impossible but very very rare unlike BSF with 5/6/7pt harnesses and no HNR. When the old R3 advertised you could use them with 3pts and HPDE instructors (porsche guys) bought into the R3 I just laughed.

Liked
    0 times

I posted this at S2ki as well, and got this response from a Simpson employee.

CAVEAT I work for HANS Performance Products, owned by Simpson Racing.
    The HYBRID model is the only model that is approved for 3-point belts. The HYBRID SPORT model is not compatible with this application.

Simpson PR:
    The Hybrid Head Restraint is now the only Frontal Head Restraint proven effective for 3-point harnesses that is also FIA Approved. This discovery allows Driving Instructors, Auto Manufacturing Test Engineers, and other drivers with 3-point harnesses to have added protection.

We are pleased to offer protection to this sector of the market, however Simpsonís top concern is your safety. While on a racetrack for the BEST protection we suggest a Full Containment Cockpit System that includes a Full Containment Seat, Snell rated Helmet, FIA or SFI approved Frontal Head Restraint, and a 7-point seatbelt harness system.

Thank you for the opportunity to post in this forum. Please do not hesitate to contact me for information on Frontal Head Restraints.
    Gary Milgrom
    gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com

Liked
    807 times

That echoes what we were told at an instructor meeting last month. Ron @ Discovery Parts gave a nice walkthough on helmets and restraint devices. The Hybrid was one of the devices he brought along and specifically mentioned it as the only one spproved for 3 point OE seat belts. He says it's also the one the test drivers for auto manufacturer wear during trials, press test, etc.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread