+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Sierra Enterprises Evo test at Buttonwillow

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Sierra Sierra Enterprises Evo test at Buttonwillow

Just came across this video on their twitter... looking good so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFn79G1tzs

Those berms can be nasty on camera mounts

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by tanK View Post
    Just came across this video on their twitter... looking good so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFn79G1tzs

Those berms can be nasty on camera mounts

i heard they were still overheating.. no?

it was crazy seeing that car at cal speedway... sure doesnt look anything like when i last saw it.

Liked
    34 times

That was a 1:47 lap. not bad for just a shake down and in the hot weather. Weather adjusted lap time is probably in the 1:45 range. And the driver seems to be leaving some on the table in the vid. Let see if they can break any records at the superlap battle this yr.

Liked
    0 times

Wouldn't you love to drive that?

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    That was a 1:47 lap. not bad for just a shake down and in the hot weather. Weather adjusted lap time is probably in the 1:45 range. And the driver seems to be leaving some on the table in the vid. Let see if they can break any records at the superlap battle this yr.

Liked
    5 times

The worlds first continuously variable active aero front window!
    The car looks well sorted and with some serious hp.
    Last edited by ayon; 08-31-2009 at 06:12 PM.

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

No offense to time attacks, but these guys should be racing. If these guys can build such a beast, they surely can build for NASAs Super Unlimited series. Race regionally and at the National level. Better yet, take a step further and build an Evo for SPEED WC. Way more fun. Way more respectable.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    No offense to time attacks, but these guys should be racing. If these guys can build such a beast, they surely can build for NASAs Super Unlimited series. Race regionally and at the National level. Better yet, take a step further and build an Evo for SPEED WC. Way more fun. Way more respectable.
    Ed, from what i know, these guys race in formula atlantic series. I believe the owner is an evo fan and is doing this on the side. These guys have DEEP wallets.

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by tanK View Post
    Ed, from what i know, these guys race in formula atlantic series. I believe the owner is an evo fan and is doing this on the side. These guys have DEEP wallets.
    The last time these guys raced in the Atlantic Championship was in 2007. We all know these guys have deep pockets. I just dont understand why theyre doing time attacks. They should build an Evo and race in SPEED WC at the very least. Not time attacks. I would love to see these guys do something like that. I just think its such a waste for them to be running in time attacks.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    546 times

The thing is...the drivers they had had deep pockets. The Atlantic operation was strictly an arrive and drive deal. And while there's money behind the operation itself, there's no great desire to run the operation at a huge loss.

My guess is that they expect -- or at least are hoping for -- enough exposure to get the bill footed entirely by sponsors, and time attack is a better venue for that.

edit: I was waiting for the exciting laps, but I never saw them. Doggone quick for warm up laps, for sure. I'd say there's a lot more than 2 seconds left in that car.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveLevin; 08-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    The thing is...the drivers they had had deep pockets. The Atlantic operation was strictly an arrive and drive deal. And while there's money behind the operation itself, there's no great desire to run the operation at a huge loss.

My guess is that they expect -- or at least are hoping for -- enough exposure to get the bill footed entirely by sponsors, and time attack is a better venue for that.

edit: I was waiting for the exciting laps, but I never saw them. Doggone quick for warm up laps, for sure. I'd say there's a lot more than 2 seconds left in that car.

Steve
    I understand. I just hope that is their master plan. Otherwise it would be a such a waste for them to not be racing.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1 times

Steve
    Actually, Sierra Sierra has run as a top team in the Atlantic series for many years and has won the championship or come runner-up almost every season. The owner always funds at least one-car completely and pays for a top driver. They usually run a 2nd car which is subsidized for another good caliber driver. Therefore, they aren't an arrive-and-drive team like most of the others. The driver of their EVO is a good friend of mine and was the runner-up in the 2008 Atlantic Championship with several mechanical DNF's.

The owner of Sierra Sierra is a big enthusiast and owns several EVO's and a GTR. So he just wanted to do this to have fun and I'm sure they will get back into racing very soon... Probably ALMS or Grand-Am, possibly Indy Lights if they can stand to deal with the IRL.
    Last edited by MontinolaRacing; 08-31-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    165 times

Which drivers...?

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
    Actually, Sierra Sierra has run as a top team in the Atlantic series for many years and has won the championship or come runner-up almost every season. The owner always funds at least one-car completely and pays for a top driver. They usually run a 2nd car which is subsidized for another good caliber driver. Therefore, they aren't an arrive-and-drive team like most of the others. The driver of their EVO is a good friend of mine and was the runner-up in the 2008 Atlantic Championship with several mechanical DNF's.

The owner of Sierra Sierra is a big enthusiast and owns several EVO's and a GTR. So he just wanted to do this to have fun and I'm sure they will get back into racing very soon... Probably ALMS or Grand-Am, possibly Indy Lights if they can stand to deal with the IRL.
    ^.

Liked
    546 times

Guys, sorry, I thought Sierra Sierra hadn't run since they ran Matos and Hinchcliffe in 2007. My understanding was that both of them brought money to the table.

You should tell your friends that the company ought to update their website...I know it's not high traffic but it still talks about not running in 2008 as the last entry. Not good for business.

Steve

Liked
    58 times

its a car guy... with some extra cash.. who has won real championships.. who has nothing to prove... but watched a time attack one day and said "looks fun".

so he bought a perfectly good 500whp street 05 evo MR that was going super fast on street tires, from the most awesomely cool guy you could ever know.. and proceeded to take every single part off of it and redo it frame up with custom everything.

Liked
    58 times

I understand. I just hope that is their master plan. Otherwise it would be a such a waste for them to not be racing.
    why is it a waste?

how many national magazine writeups, web write ups, 50 page forum hype threads and giant trophies from scantilly clad trophy girls with 1000+ ricer fans cheering you on, have you gotten?

placing mid pack in your group, while winning your class of 4, with no one but 2 friends and maybe your wife watching, then waiting around 3 hrs to pick up your 4" trophy off of a table in the lunch room while no one is there, then going home and seeing your name burried somewhere on mylaps some how doesnt have quite the same ring to it.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    why is it a waste?

how many national magazine writeups, web write ups, 50 page forum hype threads and giant trophies from scantilly clad trophy girls with 1000+ ricer fans cheering you on, have you gotten?

placing mid pack in your group, while winning your class of 4, with no one but 2 friends and maybe your wife watching, then waiting around 3 hrs to pick up your 4" trophy off of a table in the lunch room while no one is there, then going home and seeing your name burried somewhere on mylaps some how doesnt have quite the same ring to it.
    that's one funny post !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    its a car guy... with some extra cash.. who has won real championships.. who has nothing to prove... but watched a time attack one day and said "looks fun".

so he bought a perfectly good 500whp street 05 evo MR that was going super fast on street tires, from the most awesomely cool guy you could ever know.. and proceeded to take every single part off of it and redo it frame up with custom everything.
    Ive heard of this guy. I hear he races in a major series. Although i hear he runs in the back of the pack of this said series

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1l98FkmsA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    114 times

^(post#15) LOL! I wonder who that could have been?... Actually, I think he's made a smart business move in that such the times we live in, it would be in his best interest to open his business up to Evo/STI market where there are people still willing to pay for top notch performance (AMS). Why not build up the "commodity" end of things?

Additionally, Super Lap Japan tends to see Super GT/Formula Nippon teams participating in that series. So, while Super Lap is at a lesser level than the top-rung race series in Japan, it is still highly respected and regarded as a "bragging ground", for lack of a better phrase, so to speak. It would be nice to see the U.S. Time Attack/Super Lap scene progress to this level.

Kinda off topic, I find it somewhat surprising how many people in this scene aren't into some of the higher-end racing events in general. I wonder if it's simply down to lack of any commonality with the cars. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Liked
    58 times

Ive heard of this guy. I hear he races in a major series. Although i hear he runs in the back of the pack of this said series

I heard he went to japan to start a big wheel drifting series.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFydw8jW0g[/YOUTUBE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast