+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: Shipping a Car Across Country?

Liked
    1477 times

Default Shipping a Car Across Country?

I need to ship my daughter's car from L.A. to Boston. She is starting a Masters' degree program at Brandeis University next month. Does anyone here have a good car transport company that can handle the job for a reasonable price? Thanks in advance . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    41 times

I used Thomas C Sunday, Inc. to transport my Corvette when I bought it from Phoenix Performance years ago. They transported the car from PA to CA and were good, but expensive. I'm not sure if they have an open trailer option for less money, but it's a starting point.

Enclosed Automobile Transportation Enclosed Car Shipping Enclosed Car Transport

Liked
    366 times

I just drove an Exige from the east coast (literally) to OC, California. I've only two words regarding the trip.

Never again.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    744 times

I have used a couple of services, but I do not have the contact info. If she is using a mover, ask them what the included price is. When I moved from Charlotte to Los Angeles, I had them include the Miata (through Mayflower). They loaded it into the truck that had all our house items. It was one less thing to worry about. The husband & wife team that owned the semi were very good at communicating their location and overseeing the loading and unloading.

Whichever route you go, if the car is worth a damn to you or her, pay the extra for door-to-door. Lowest-rate services will drop cars off at collection depots, so it may be loaded and unloaded a number of times. Enclosed transport is another nice upgrade. If the car is out in the open, it is susceptible to debris damage or hail.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I just drove an Exige from the east coast (literally) to OC, California. I've only two words regarding the trip.

Never again.
    Not exactly the most long-distance friendly of vehicles? I have driven cross country 7x now, it's been an adventure I fondly remember each time, regardless what happened.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    704 times

I think she should drive it, it's a great experience to see the fly-over states in a car.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I think she should drive it, it's a great experience to see the fly-over states in a car.

i agree.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

^^^That won't happen. It's very impractical for a variety of reasons.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    451 times

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Not exactly the most long-distance friendly of vehicles? I have driven cross country 7x now, it's been an adventure I fondly remember each time, regardless what happened.
    If I had more time it would have been great, but being pressed on time it was a terrible idea, looking back.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    0 times

No complaints when Plycar transported our car (covered). Service was top-notch.

Liked
    1429 times

Do the numbers make sense to hire one of Williams gofers to drive it for you and fly back? Might be easier than dealing with freight.

Liked
    61 times

Wrote this in another thread about this a maybe 6 months ago. Ill cut and paste as its pertinent info.

I went through this debacle myself when shipping a new racecar down from Idaho to Los Angeles. it took over 4 weeks to get picked up and I had to change shippers twice and get angry along the way.

Things I learned:

1. 89% of the places you call are shipping call centers, they take you're money and electronically post your job request on an electronic billboard, Every one uses this bill board, its not unique to one or the other place you're shopping around too.

2. Auto freight companies determine their capacities and see if they can fill any empty spots on their trucks and they use this bulletin board to do so.. Their 3 criteria they use too see if its "worth it" are. 1.) distance to pick up from current location 2.) Distance to drop off and the deviation it will require from their current load route (read: time) 3) How much compensation is being offered.

Compensation amount will trump 1 and 2 above. Offer a lot out of the gate people will come around. This is why when you call a freight arranger they will ask YOU how much you wanna pay. (umm as little as possible) If you are shipping from or near a hub, say Atlanta, Huston, Jersey etc the magic $$$ number to garner interest from the auto truckers can be considerably lower than if you were in the out lier states or on the other side of a mountain pass during winter months. You just gotta gauge this number using common sense. To ballpark $800 will be a tuff sell to make anything move from anywhere, $1100 is warmer especially if you're fortunate enough to be near a hub and 1500-2000 seemed to me to be where people started to care. (didn't mean it actually got anyone to pick it up in my case)

3. If you book with an agency that just posts your job it doesn't mean you car is actually going to get picked up. They dont tell you this. They will tell you '1-4 weeks' you happily pay the deposit or even the full amount and wait. In reality they are letting your job ride on the e-board to see if they'll be any takers, they'll let 4 weeks go by before calling you and telling you that there is no one interested; all the while you assumed that theres people actively working to get you your car with in this time frame. Whats more is Most of the 'dispatchers' dont have any actual contact with the truckers that move the vehicles. They are simply call center slime that are getting commission on posting jobs. The other side of that is you don't actually know who is shipping your car, and if they are insured ect. After reading into this i have heard horror stories galore. Especially with lowered vehicles. MOST TRUCKS CANT SHIP LOWERED RACE CARS. You cant get a straight answer on timeline much, much less if the truck thats actually gunna show up can accommodate the job... and likely if he drove 6 hours out of his way hes gunna "make it fit". be warned.

After much hassle for myself and they poor guy I bought the car from,--- He even trailered the car 3 hours away into a main city to meet a trucker that never showed. I ended up going with a place Alpine transport inc ™ - The Dependable Auto Transporters | They ran their jobs a little differently I spoke to the owner and was explained too that he controls the truckers and has contact with them personally so hes able to tell you directly if what your asking for is going to work or not. It wasn't cheap, about $2500 IIRC but after the weeks and aggravation of everything else id dealt with it was worth it for the piece of mind.

Its a f*&@#*&@%# pain . GOODLUCK

Liked
    143 times

Basically car shippers take your money then post your car up for a driver to haul. If you go with the cheapest you car may sit for weeks because the broker is not offering enough.

On another note I drove my wife's car from LA to Boston when she was in college. She rarely drove it in Boston She mainly used it when she had to leave the city for a rotation. Boston is the kind of town where a car is less practical than necessary.

The drive from Boston was nicer when she moved back because to L.A. because we took our time and did some sight seeing.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    744 times

^ did the same moving from NC to CA. Lovely time.

The move from CA back to NC, 2800 miles of driving a moving van with a trailer in anger was exhausting. It didn't help having my dog getting scorched pads from hot pavement in AZ. Lifting a 70# dog in and out of the cab was a challenge. Would have been nice if the wife checked the oil on her car she followed me with, too. :|
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    51 times

I've used this company before. $715 from Houston to LA.

She gave me the options of where to price it based on how soon I wanted it. Got the car in 6 days.

MALIA McCLAIN
    Direct 360-853-2806

AUTO SHIPPING GROUP, INC
    1700 Main Street
    Washougal, WA 98671
    Main Office 360-853-2809

www.autoshipppinggroup.com

+ Reply to Thread