+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Severe damage to my GT2/ST2/TA3 Corvette

Liked
    36 times

What in the world was SM even doing in the same group as ST to begin with? That kind of mixing at a championship event is hard to believe. They better have had a good reason for it.

Liked
    1562 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    "Spotter to Crusher, fast mover will catch you in 3" .. saved our asses more than once.
    A spotter makes you faster too. In more competitive Majors and Runoffs races the other guys are hearing things like "green green green" on starts and restarts. Guys like me watch the racers around me get on throttle and I'm playing catch up.

Liked
    61 times

What in the world was SM even doing in the same group as ST to begin with? That kind of mixing at a championship event is hard to believe. They better have had a good reason for it.
    This unfortunate incident occurred on Thursday which was a dial-in day which you had to purchase separately ($300) from the primary championship venues. In the morning there was a couple of different run groups but in the afternoon - when there were fewer people, it was more or less open track. As the op said, this was lap 2 and who knows if the SM had even had a MUCH faster class car fly by him yet. BAD things happen when peeps come off of the racing line and then decide to go back onto it without looking. You are NEVER quite sure of what their intentions are. I witnessed this in the 2016 25-hour race at that track on that same corner. Not sure where the Acura RSx driver got his license but he came to that corner twice and tried to yield the line to MUCH faster cars and basically no one had a clue of where he was going. I was on a radio trying to alert someone in the pits to get an official to black flag him. Karma came less than a minute later when he rolled 6 times. Thankfully the driver was not hurt....
    Last edited by CoolTech; 10-09-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Wrong picture! This is the right picture...Attachment 11278

You may not be okay. Better get those ribs checked out!

fe4
    Liked
    41 times

It's been a crappy year for Corvette race cars doing non-racing events...

Liked
    1436 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    This unfortunate incident occurred on Thursday which was a dial-in day which you had to purchase separately ($300) from the primary championship venues. In the morning there was a couple of different run groups but in the afternoon - when there were fewer people, it was more or less open track. As the op said, this was lap 2 and who knows if the SM had even had a MUCH faster class car fly by him yet. BAD things happen when peeps come off of the racing line and then decide to go back onto it without looking. You are NEVER quite sure of what their intentions are. I witnessed this in the 2016 25-hour race at that track on that same corner. Not sure where the Acura RSx driver got his license but he came to that corner twice and tried to yield the line to MUCH faster cars and basically no one had a clue of where he was going. I was on a radio trying to alert someone in the pits to get an official to black flag him. Karma came less than a minute later when he rolled 6 times. Thankfully the driver was not hurt....
    Ooh, so this wasn't a race.... Heh, Oli just slurped up at least 20% more fault

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    As far as fault goes, I can point to a lot of places. I was closing very fast on a new group of cars and drivers I did not know well. In retrospect I should have been more cautious. This was the second lap so they did not necessarily know what to expect, although I may be a bit generous with that statement. In mixed class racing as Emilio said you can expect this sort of thing.

The camera car opened up a lane. I made a bad assumption that the lead car knew I was there. As Emilio said, abrupt changes like that are risky and not so common in mixed class racing. The red Miata should not have moved abruptly and I should not have put so much reliance on the lane staying open.

I ask myself if I could have or should have run off into the left side dirt. I might have gotten away with that, but I was just about to enter the brake zone and doing that at 125 MPH in the dirt could have gone ugly real fast, plus they have barriers now at Turn 14.

Lastly, there were know passing flags out. I was moving through traffic all the way back to the beginning of the lap at started to encounter a lot of traffic at Turns 9+. Why the flag stands were not waving passing flags is beyond me. That too could have made this a vastly different outcome. Being that they were waving flags earlier in the day could have signaled to these drivers that no one was coming and therefore safe to move across track abruptly.

I have made thousands of passes like this without incident. Thursday the law of averages caught up to me and unfortunately it was not just a jostle of bump, but a big shunt.
    Sorry about your big shunt mate, and glad you are not badly hurt. Based on your post above, I think you have excellent self awareness. Have a look in the mirror of the camera car, camera car saw you and got out of the way, but was obscuring the rearward vision of the car you collected, he would have had about a second to see you coming through, even if he was looking in his mirror at the time. Based on his move over to the left I suspect he was looking into the next corner.

Add that one to your arsenal of experience, and hope you get back on the track soon.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 10-10-2017 at 04:47 AM.

Liked
    16 times

That is heartbreaking to watch... sorry for the loss!
    How can I do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2