+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Severe damage to my GT2/ST2/TA3 Corvette

Liked
    2224 times

Default Severe damage to my GT2/ST2/TA3 Corvette

I went to Thunderhill last week for Thursday practice and the NASA championship racing finales. Friday and Saturday were qualifying/qualifying races and Sunday was the big show. Last year I won TT2 and was leading ST2 until an out-of-class wreck held me up and I dropped to second before the end.

This year I was looking to score two wins this year. Thursday AM practice was primarily just the ST class cars. In the afternoon they went to more wide ranging mixed class racing and it did not end up so well for me.

Go to minute 6:45 of this camera car video to see what happened to my Corvette. The damage is extremely severe, especially to the rear driver side part of the chassis. Pretty much every external body panel and fascia is toasted. Even the wing and new carbon fiber deck lid are destroyed.

Last edited by Olitho; 10-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2224 times

Liked
    1562 times

Wow! Bummer! If you are posting I guess that means you are OK? Man that sucks! The car can be replaced and it had huge race miles on it so you definitely got your money's worth if the car is a write off. I'm glad you are here to write about it.
    CharleyH likes this.

Liked
    2224 times

Yeah, I am fine. I did not get sore or stiff at all. My Cobra Sebring race containment seat, Schroth Enduro harness, Zamp helmet and HANS all did a fantastic job.

Liked
    671 times

Very sorry to hear that Oli, and very glad that you are Ok.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    864 times

I'm so sorry to hear about this; but the important thing is that you were not harmed and that we will all be able to watch you restore Thor to good health and continue to share in your future successes.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-09-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1436 times

How would you guys apply fault in this case?

Liked
    2357 times

edit
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-08-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2357 times

IMHO. I put most blame on the SM. You just donít move 2 spaces over abruptly regardless. I understand that there is a blind spot (camera car blocking). But if there is a blind spot:

1. donít move over
    2. leave a 1 car width at blind spot (in this case, move over to block the camera car, and left 1 car width to edge of the track)
    3. move super slow, so if there is a car coming up, he / she has time to react.

One race I lost left side mirror (losing ability to see my left blind spot. I drove the whole 90 minute stint leaving 1 car width at every left apex. Very important because it was a mixed class Racing.
    Olitho, MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

JJ1
    Liked
    185 times

Wow! It looked like there was a 50mph difference between you and the other 2 cars! Glad your ok. Do you think the tub and frame rails are straight or fixable?
    Last edited by JJ1; 10-09-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    1436 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    IMHO. I put most blame on the SM. You just don’t move 2 spaces over abruptly regardless. I understand that there is a blind spot (camera car blocking). But if there is a blind spot:

1. don’t move over
    2. leave a 1 car width at blind spot (in this case, move over to block the camera car, and left 1 car width to edge of the track)
    3. move super slow, so if there is a car coming up, he / she has time to react.

One race I lost left side mirror (losing ability to see my left blind spot. I drove the whole 90 minute stint leaving 1 car width at every left apex. Very important because it was a mixed class Racing.
    Also of note is that the miata was moving onto the racing line, not away from it.

Liked
    61 times

Oli - sorry to see this happen to anyone - especially someone in the community here. There's probably a lot of SM drivers that simply don't have enough/any experience sharing the track with MUCH faster running cars.... and this is the consequence. I'm assuming that at least spoke about this adequately in the driver's meeting... unfortunate that it may not have sunk in. It certainly was a rather abrupt change of line for the SM.... from well off the racing line to a jump back into it. It could be that he was yielding the racing line to the following SM and when he (the camera car) didn't take it (because, perhaps the camera car saw you closing), the lead SM abruptly moved back onto the line. It simply SUCKS! I'm glad you are OK and hope you will get back in the vette saddle soon - though maybe it is not that vette. Super sorry this happened to you. (We were at the track Thurs-Sun but had gone out to get a bite to eat and when we returned all we heard about was this unfortunate incident.)
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2486 times

The SM that contacted Oli moved across the track without making sure the path was clear. Even if there were only SM's on track that is still a stupid move. With a mixed field and high closing rates, that unconscionable. When Oli overlapped the camera car, the SM was still not even in line with the camera car, IOW the path was clear and any of us would have also gone for the gap.
    The SM tracked out full right exiting T12 then went back to mid track and paused to block the camera car. That was his one move. Then we went left to set up for T13. That was his second move.

In Supermiata, we grind this lesson in to our drivers: If you have not checked your mirrors or can't fully see it, don't go for the gap. Ever.

Oli would have seen the car coming across but at that point was committed under max braking. Only option for someone shooting across the track is to go left into the dirt. There is an embankment I think 20-30' off to the left so it perhaps could have been possible to chuck it off there and avoid contact. Not sure.

Bottom line is a driver should never shoot laterally across the track in the braking zone unless they are damn sure it is clear and it's their "one move" to block.

Glad Oli isn't hurt. Hopefully Thor comes back to wield the hammer again.
    Last edited by emilio700; 10-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2224 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    Do you think the tub and frame rails are straight or fixable?
    We are not sure, yet about the tub and frame rail. At first we thought we could use tons of duct tape and strapping for the body panels and take the frame to a local frame straightener in order to make the race Sunday. But as we got further into it we saw how compromised the rear frame bends are, diff mounts broken and more. That is when we realized the damage went way further than initially realized. That whip around the car made was stunning in its swift violence, but I can attest that all the safety equipment worked as intended.
    bellwilliam, bawareca, JJ1 and 1 others like this.

Liked
    2224 times

As far as fault goes, I can point to a lot of places. I was closing very fast on a new group of cars and drivers I did not know well. In retrospect I should have been more cautious. This was the second lap so they did not necessarily know what to expect, although I may be a bit generous with that statement. In mixed class racing as Emilio said you can expect this sort of thing.

The camera car opened up a lane. I made a bad assumption that the lead car knew I was there. As Emilio said, abrupt changes like that are risky and not so common in mixed class racing. The red Miata should not have moved abruptly and I should not have put so much reliance on the lane staying open.

I ask myself if I could have or should have run off into the left side dirt. I might have gotten away with that, but I was just about to enter the brake zone and doing that at 125 MPH in the dirt could have gone ugly real fast, plus they have barriers now at Turn 14.

Lastly, there were know passing flags out. I was moving through traffic all the way back to the beginning of the lap at started to encounter a lot of traffic at Turns 9+. Why the flag stands were not waving passing flags is beyond me. That too could have made this a vastly different outcome. Being that they were waving flags earlier in the day could have signaled to these drivers that no one was coming and therefore safe to move across track abruptly.

I have made thousands of passes like this without incident. Thursday the law of averages caught up to me and unfortunately it was not just a jostle of bump, but a big shunt.
    bellwilliam, bawareca, JJ1 and 1 others like this.

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I ask myself if I could have or should have run off into the left side dirt. I might have gotten away with that, but I was just about to enter the brake zone and doing that at 125 MPH in the dirt could have gone ugly real fast, plus they have barriers now at Turn 14.
    At least you are now here to talk about it. if you did go off in the left side dirt, it might of been one of those "how much I miss Oli" thread....

for those of you that haven't raced in "REAL" mixed class like T25. You think Oli's car is fast compare to your SM ? Oli's vette is a snail compared to one of the Lola or Wolf. These Lola storming by at closing rate of 60+ miles..... so no, no abrupt movement, period.
    bawareca and JJ1 like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2486 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    for those of you that haven't raced in "REAL" mixed class like T25. You think Oli's car is fast compare to your SM ? Oli's vette is a snail compared to one of the Lola or Wolf. These Lola storming by at closing rate of 60+ miles..... so no, no abrupt movement, period.
    This.

When we brought drivers in our T25 for the first time, the focus on our pre race coaching and team drivers meeting was on not getting taken out by "fast movers". Our spotters ignored traffic ahead and were instructed to be another set of eyes for cars coming up from the back. That is the most likely race ending scenario in mixed class sprint or endurance races.

Transmissions at 3am like: "Spotter to Crusher, fast mover will catch you in 3" .. saved our asses more than once.
    deng likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2224 times

Everyone is concerned about how I am doing. I am doing great. I don't feel stiff or sore and the food here is pretty good.

868330.jpg
    bawareca, JJ1 and deng like this.

Liked
    1562 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Everyone is concerned about how I am doing. I am doing great. I don't feel stiff or sore and the food here is pretty good.
    Wrong picture! This is the right picture...crown_roast_by_brad.jpg
    bawareca and deng like this.

Liked
    1562 times

Hey Oli...I really want to race a new car just out of boredom. You got good raceparts and engine. I got a good chassis. And Emillio will agree my car is a superior color...Orange Maybe we should talk?
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast