+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seeking Crowd Wisdom

Liked
    1477 times

Suppose you give up the stick. You can buy a 1990 - 1996 Lexus LS400 for under $5,000. My family has one -- it used to belong to my Mom who bought it new in 1992, and now it's my daughter's car. Maybe the most reliable car of all time. Comfy too. Might be a little tippy on the auto-x course.
    hakeem and tlee1234 like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    7 times

I've seen those LS400 in the 3k range. Comfortable and quiet but gas mileage won't be that great.
    Civic or focus is my suggestion to the OP. meets all your requirements. just keep the civic stock so it doesn't get stolen. wife's CX hatch gets 34 mpg city, 40-50mpg highway depending on speed and whether it's a head or tail wind.

Liked
    2265 times

I'm not old enough to drive an LS400.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Which one is the unreliable part?Ever heard of E36 left someone on the middle of nowhere?(Except overheating,but that is a known maintenance required, $500 spent every 80 k miles)
    Have another friend with an 92 E36 325 that started as a daily and evolved into a track car. He posts infrequently, think he is KBToys or something like that on here. He can tell you that they are great cars but need to be watched after. Cooling system is one thing but almost without fail you will need to change various bushings so the car doesn't feel like crap, interior bits stop working or don't fit well anymore (windows, A/C, etc), fog lights fall out, he had a transmission let go on him. Basically it's going to take more regular maintenance to keep in good, running, functional shape than something like a G20, Sentra, Civic/Accord, etc.

Liked
    34 times

Ok, here me out on this one because I drive one of these. Maybe William can comment too since he has something similar.

Toyota Matrix XRS. I drive a '06 XR. It's definitely not what I would call "fun" to drive but the XRS is a 6 speed (typically) with 190 hp from the GTS motor. Handling isn't actually that terrible. With good tires, it turns. Bunch of space for people, seats fold flat to make a van for transporting things (in this hobby we all have tons of big crap), high 20's to low 30's in MPG if you don't drive like me, reliable (I'm at 150k with absolutely no mechanical issues). Looks like depending on the year and condition they are going from $4-8k on Craigslist.

What do you think? Too grandma?

Liked
    2265 times

081006-wellmannered2-hmed-11a.grid-6x2.jpg

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by comradefks View Post
    Have another friend with an 92 E36 325 that started as a daily and evolved into a track car. He posts infrequently, think he is KBToys or something like that on here. He can tell you that they are great cars but need to be watched after. Cooling system is one thing but almost without fail you will need to change various bushings so the car doesn't feel like crap, interior bits stop working or don't fit well anymore (windows, A/C, etc), fog lights fall out, he had a transmission let go on him. Basically it's going to take more regular maintenance to keep in good, running, functional shape than something like a G20, Sentra, Civic/Accord, etc.
    If you buy any 15-18 years old car that has seen no maintenance at all you will be forced to replace many,many things(perhaps Lexus LS400 is the only exception).If you get a car that has the regular maintenance done at least semi decent,there will be still things to fix,but not all of them.I would call E36 high maintenance car(still less than most cars of today),but I wouldnt call it unreliable.
    When I first came here I bought a 94 325ic convertible for my wife(11 years old then) with 165 k miles.After 3 years and almost 30 k miles I have replaced some things here and there,nothing major.The car was running like a champ and i sold it for almost what I paid for it.The worst thing for 92-95 models is the interior just falling apart.96-99 have the issue adressed and they age very well.If I have to buy another E36 I will buy 97-98 with less than 150 k.

Liked
    34 times

Not feeling it Brett

33254970002_large.jpg
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'm not old enough to drive an LS400.
    My daughter drives one. She is 23 and a lot better looking than you . . .
    hakeem likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Hey !!! That's Oli !!!

Liked
    2265 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    My daughter drives one. She is 23 and a lot better looking than you . . .

No argument there.

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what the definition of a fright pig is, but it took me about 30 seconds to find this beauty for $3,500: 1995 BMW 325i
    Richard EVO and hakeem like this.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    2265 times

Got one. 2002 Mazda Protege5. One owner, five speed, 30 mpg highway, clean and unmolested. I'm digging it.

photo.jpg

Liked
    367 times

Got one. 2002 Mazda Protege5. One owner, five speed, 30 mpg highway, clean and unmolested. I'm digging it.

Attachment 6068
    nice pickup! After hearing how fast they go through wheel bearings etc I decided not to get one but I'm familiar with the car. Great and fun to drive.

I ended up buying Williams Vibe. I went with the auto trans since my ankle's broken and this will allow me to heal and not cry like a girl everytime i change gears. lol.
    ucfbrett likes this.
    Do you understand?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

No argument there.
    The age requirements to drive a Lexus are different depending on whether you are a guy or a girl. 23yr old girls are allowed to drive anything and still be cool for the most part. Men can't do that. Driving any Lexus before 65 is uncool!!!!

Congrats on the Mazda! Dad xcrossing a wagon........... cool.

Liked
    2265 times

I'm already scanning the PCA and Corvair clubs for an event at the Camarillo airport.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3