+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sebring Turn 17: Could WSIR Turn 9 Could be a Comparative Cake Walk?

Liked
    854 times

Default Sebring Turn 17: Could WSIR Turn 9 Be a Comparative Cake Walk?

The boxing analogies in the second link below are great!

Regardless, it looks like Bumpywillow (and other infamous Socal tracks) have a long way to go to equal this. I did notice watching the race that the teams really soften up their dampers for this track - for obvious reasons.

btw: This corner should be flat out for well sorted cars:

At the risk of overkill (with a suitably haunting sound track):

460 HP, 165mph, Through the Most Difficult Turn in Racing: Turn 17 at Sebring - MOMO - YouTube
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 04-02-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Liked
    1477 times

Pish Posh - Sebring 17 - flat as a pancake, expensive prototypes racing around it, wall right there, everybody in their full professional race regalia biatchin' about the bumps. In Florida, 2500+ miles from here.

WSIR. My home track. No professional races in many years. Big elevation changes. No walls to hit. Turn 9, very fast decreasing radius turn with no walls. The little bitty bumps are in Turn 8 for those who don't know the racing line.
    Pure EvoIX and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    65 times

It's been a few years but I have competed at both tracks and I would say turn 9 at willow is more difficult. Sebring is rough and bouncy but not nearly as difficult. Turn 9 is one of the toughest corners in North America in my opinion, the old turn 2 at Mosport is close, but turn 9 at willow is more difficult. The old Road Atlanta under the bridge before they put in the chicane was wild, like driving through your garage in 4th gear at 100 plus and then dropping off a cliff, but not as difficult as turn 9 at willowsprings.
    2GRX7, ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2242 times

^^ I can't imagine what Road Atlanta was like without 10a and 10b. That's a long fast back straight.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe jordan View Post
    It's been a few years but I have competed at both tracks and I would say turn 9 at willow is more difficult. Sebring is rough and bouncy but not nearly as difficult. Turn 9 is one of the toughest corners in North America in my opinion, the old turn 2 at Mosport is close, but turn 9 at willow is more difficult. The old Road Atlanta under the bridge before they put in the chicane was wild, like driving through your garage in 4th gear at 100 plus and then dropping off a cliff, but not as difficult as turn 9 at willowsprings.
    Nice to hear from a guy who's been there!

Liked
    114 times

I agree with Mr. Jordan. I've been on both and turn 9,WSIR is tougher.

I do enjoy Sebrings' turn 17 because there are a few lines you can use and can really throw the car in w/o worrying too much about hitting things-concrete slows you pretty quick if you co*ked it up. When you get 17 right, you're just feeling G's until the bump at the apex, which is a breath and quick flick.

What IS daunting, is that "wall" on track-out that works its way back in towards the track that causes a pucker factor for me, but everyone says you're doing it right when you experience that feeling.

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    I agree with Mr. Jordan. I've been on both and turn 9,WSIR is tougher.

Mr Jordan....shiX I'm not that old. Mr Jordan is my dad!

I do enjoy Sebrings' turn 17 because there are a few lines you can use and can really throw the car in w/o worrying too much about hitting things-concrete slows you pretty quick if you co*ked it up. When you get 17 right, you're just feeling G's until the bump at the apex, which is a breath and quick flick.

Nothing like it for a lst lap last corner pass and or 3 or 4 wide with faster cars in traffic!

What IS daunting, is that "wall" on track-out that works its way back in towards the track that causes a pucker factor for me, but everyone says you're doing it right when you experience that feeling.
    Pucker is definitely faster!
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ I can't imagine what Road Atlanta was like without 10a and 10b. That's a long fast back straight.
    Brett it was awesome. especially bump drafting. The most scared I have ever been was in the rain at Road Atlanta when 9 cars in a row went off on the back straight hydroplaning.......in a speedvision cup race (what is now the Continental series)

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

I'll go on the other side of the fence and say T17 and Mosports T2 are more ballsy and harder than T9. There is a lot more slowing down with a blind and bumpy entry for T17 and you commit to full throttle while bouncing to the outer wall. Get on throttle too late and you're slow. Get on throttle too early and you hit the wall. T9 is all in the entry setup and I view it as more of a "kink" with a later emphasis than an actual corner. Not a whole lot to it IMO.

Liked
    65 times

Billy. understand your perspective I look at it from a how many times in a row can I do this corner perfect. Turn 17 for for me I could do it 95 percent perfect even with traffic and your smart you don't loose much. Turn 2 at mosport was a little harder probably 94 percent maybe due to the elevation change and it being blind. Turn 9 at willow about 90 percent perfect and if you are not your lap times get killed as it connects the 2 longest straights.

Would love to here what you feel is the most difficult corner in North America, I tended to be better at fast balsy stuff than slow technical corners that take discipline. Some that come to mind. Turn 7 at Road Atlanta, Moss corner at Mosport, some will think I am crazy but at least once a race I would overdrive turn 3 at MRLS.

Liked
    114 times

Perhaps Billy, perhaps ;-)! Seriously, Totally hear you on Seb 14.

I'm thinking you're doing it in a GT car at speed-I was doing it in a Skippy Pro (Think late 90's) with downforce and it felt so GOOOOOD!

T9 @ WSIR was done in a 88' RX7 Turbo II. That guy that crashed at that turn in a blue M3 a couple of years ago is STILL looming large in my mind.

Billy, T2 Mosport w/o a doubt, I agree! Didn't know that one was part of the picks. I'm not like you guys-I didn't believe I was invincible, so I had to build up to that corner (at least 8-10 laps in).

OH, and by the way, Billy, YOU still owe me a WEIGHT CORRECTED showdown in some karts! Remember back to when Dromo1 was open and a big black man was ready to lay the smack-down ;-).......

Joe, were you in some sort of race series in your past?

Liked
    65 times

2GRX7 Yes ran Speedvision cup(what is now the continental tire series) from 1994-1999 and some world challenge.2000-2006 We were the first team to win a pro race in a Miata..... My kids race spec miata now.
    2GRX7 and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    854 times

What a great story . . . and what a great legacy to pass down to your children.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

Joe, I don't think you are crazy. This is coming from a non driver perspective but I think turn 3 & 4 at MRLS are under rated and much harder than people think. Spent much more time with the kid on those two corners than any other at MRLS.

Liked
    65 times

Jamz in low power cars like spec miata....turn 3 is so easily overdriven and it will effect you all the way to 5 if you flat fooooooot it through 4...... I tell joey to short shift 3rd to 4th and no lift to carry max speed through 4 and whatever he does don't overdrive 3.......

fe4
    Liked
    29 times

I think WSIR T8 is the more apt comparison - a "fast in relation to the runoff available" corner complicated by terrible pavement that upsets the car. It doesn't lead onto a big straight but it is pretty long itself.

edit: This is not to suggest that WSIR has any hard corners, of course

Liked
    2242 times

The hardest corners at WSIR are those that matter most: 5 and 9.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

For those of us with less than 130whp, WSIR doesn't have any corners. I leave my brakes at home.
    Olitho likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    299 times

This is what happens when you get turn 17 Sebring wrong.
    2GRX7 and Loose Caboose like this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The hardest corners at WSIR are those that matter most: 5 and 9.
    Would you rank turn 2 as the next most important?

Because of its camber, it seems like I typically enter this turn too slow (pucker, pucker), and there is a very long straight thereafter. Could be a big difference maker?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast