+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SCCA T1 about to die?

Liked
    2243 times

I just took a peek at the NASA CCR, and the rule set for Super Touring seems pretty easy, and I regularly see six to 10 ST/STR cars on the grid sheets.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I just took a peek at the NASA CCR, and the rule set for Super Touring seems pretty easy, and I regularly see six to 10 ST/STR cars on the grid sheets.
    1/2 of those are usually SCCA T1 cars crossing over.....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    +1, might be a good thing. just lowering rev 500rpm will probably double engine life, prolong clutch and transmission. instead of damn wide Hoosier, mandate stock wheel size and stock tire size. that would save a ton including hubs, diff and all..heck, C6 might no longer blow up on ACS T2 any more. probably won't need oil and trans cooler any more.
    Not sure this is a good thing. If you make the hoosier smaller, their life will be even shorter and probably not much cheaper. You'll get more coasting and then sprinting at the end of the race.

Also, the C5Z06 is great, but the C6s are pretty much a **** car for touring class if they require $4K of engine mods (dry sump) to not blow up. If the pony cars don't blow up, they may be a better option than a C6 and indeed benefit the class.

What they REALLY need to do is drop this concept of "new cars only" and showroom stock-ish philosophy.

Liked
    704 times

I like the idea of consolidating race classes but I also complained when NASA added 100 pounds to my car so I see both sides.

As much as I like the NASA PT rule set, I wouldn't mind if they shrunk the number of PT classes down to 2 or three to hopefully increase the field sizes and I'd like to see spec tire that costs less than Hoosiers.

I also wish the SCCA would loosen up some of their IT rules so PT cars could fit better. But I guess there's some old reason they don't want to play together.
    Last edited by Red_5; 06-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    58 times

only problem is ST2 is another arms race.. open aero, suspension, trans, brakes...

Liked
    434 times

I took a quick look at 2012 race results for Socal NASA and counted only 2 entries through 3 race weekends for ST2.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    0 times

only problem is ST2 is another arms race.. open aero, suspension, trans, brakes...
    Yes, but the fast T1 C5 times (without any mods) are still very competitive in many regions. Yes, to win a National Championship in ST2 is going to take the extra mods, but not to get on the podium regularly in regional competition.

Oli, actually, we haven't been seeing the T1 cars this season in SoCal NASA ST. Just about all of those cars are SoCal ST2/STR2 cars. While the C5's dominate ST2 in other NASA regions, both in attendance and podiums, we have the Porsche, BMW's, and Mazda's in SoCal.

It would be great to see the C5's jumping into the SoCal ST/STR mix again. At this time, since the Mazda GT cars all had to move to STR because of their tube-frames, most of the ST2 cars are competing in STR2 to bump the class size and to have more competition.

For those of you in T1 currently that don't know, about all you need is to have the car tested on a Dynojet and fill out the Dyno Certification Form and ST Car Classification Form, and you are good to go. Some will have to add ballast, though, depending on the power output and current weight.

Liked
    434 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    it actually has me thinking about coming back... if they don't add weight.

lowering the revs? restrictor?.. could save the motors and wear and tear on the drive train.

next thing is cheaper tires..
    True. I'd love to see our tire cost drop down to sub $1000 and last more than one National Weekend.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    I took a quick look at 2012 race results for Socal NASA and counted only 2 entries through 3 race weekends for ST2.
    Jim, take a look at STR2. See above post.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    Jim, take a look at STR2. See above post.
    Oh snap, he's here. Welcome Greg! If you make a habit of posting here, we'd love to have you post in this thread.

New Member Introductions

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Oh snap, he's here. Welcome Greg! If you make a habit of posting here, we'd love to have you post in this thread.

New Member Introductions
    The doctor is making a house call.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

wow, that's Greg Greenbaum ?
    National PT director, and a doctor....

He is probably the most powerful man in NASA, he makes or breaks any car in class. very fair man, can't get away much with him !! and don't take bribe !!
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

Greg: there are probably 7+ Cali T1 drivers on this board.....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

He is probably the most powerful man in NASA, he makes or breaks any car in class. very fair man, can't get away much with him !! and don't take bribe !!
    Yep, I saw my old TTS teammate Ryan posting along with Oli, and thought I would jump in. The recession is definitely making it tough on car class numbers, so I can understand why they may want to try and consolidate T1 and T2. We are trying to hold our ground through the recession with our current classes, but as I stated above, the drivers are working together to help ensure class counts.

I'm definitely not the most powerful man in NASA, but I appreciate that someone thinks I'm fair!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the NASA National Time Trial, PT, and ST Director, as well as the NASA National Medical Director. If any of the T1 guys have any questions about NASA ST or STR, feel free to e-mail me or the SoCal regional ST Director, Terry Free. Greg@nasa-tt.com I can also forward you to Terry. Our ST/STR group is growing nicely, and it would be great to have 15-20 car fields. I'm hoping to get a car in the next year or two and join in as well.

Liked
    1477 times

I think William is in love . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Seems like you T1 guys would get great benefit from being able to remove interiors, change out the truck suspension, upgrade brakes, etc. Sure, there is no cap on expenditure, but I think realistically that applies in T1 as well.

Plus, wouldn't it be more fun to race against non-Z06's for once?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Seems like you T1 guys would get great benefit from being able to remove interiors, change out the truck suspension, upgrade brakes, etc. Sure, there is no cap on expenditure, but I think realistically that applies in T1 as well.

Plus, wouldn't it be more fun to race against non-Z06's for once?
    I'd hazard a guess they'd rather be spec C5z06 racing.

Liked
    2243 times

Welcome to TrackHQ.com, Greg.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    Yep, I saw my old TTS teammate Ryan posting along with Oli, and thought I would jump in. The recession is definitely making it tough on car class numbers, so I can understand why they may want to try and consolidate T1 and T2. We are trying to hold our ground through the recession with our current classes, but as I stated above, the drivers are working together to help ensure class counts.
    I know how to get the car count up.... buy my car.

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    it actually has me thinking about coming back... if they don't add weight.

lowering the revs? restrictor?.. could save the motors and wear and tear on the drive train.

next thing is cheaper tires..
    +1, might be a good thing. just lowering rev 500rpm will probably double engine life, prolong clutch and transmission. instead of damn wide Hoosier, mandate stock wheel size and stock tire size. that would save a ton including hubs, diff and all..heck, C6 might no longer blow up on ACS T2 any more. probably won't need oil and trans cooler any more.
    I definitely am against adding weight to my T1 car. That's a deal breaker for me. The only thing I would concede to stay in T1 is removing headers. Nothing else. You don't have to rev high now. I have my engine set at 6800 rpm and it's still running strong (original 2004 ls6 in my ST2 vette). Tranny and clutch? Still ran fine after 4 years on the track. I just pulled them out as preventative maintenance. Restrictor shouldn't affect engine reliability as long as it's tuned well. I would like to keep racing with the T1 group one way or another. Whether it's in ST2 or "spec corvette" or whatever. I like Cal Club and I would hate to see all our cars leave that group. But I don't want to go slower in my vette or make it heavier. T1 vettes finally received a bunch of good mods (stripped interior, headers, poly bushings, good front brakes, etc.) and now they want to take it all away and make us slower? Ridiculous. Goodby SCCA.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast