+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SCCA SuperSchool for race licensing is is Feb 7-8 at Buttonwillow

Liked
    2165 times

Default SCCA SuperSchool for race licensing is is Feb 7-8 at Buttonwillow

When I get more specific info I will post it here.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    448 times

I may attend. Please pass on the info when you get it.

Merry Christmas to all.

Liked
    35 times

I will be signing up once my novice permit arrives.

Liked
    977 times

It is quite the experience!

Liked
    35 times

Question for those who have gone through super school - Did any of you do it alone? In other words, it doesn't look like I'll have any track side support.

Liked
    977 times

If your car is reliable it can be done alone. I had a Spec Miata at the time (the horror) and it was doable, although I did have help. Fueling might be a challenge as it's pretty back to back.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    Question for those who have gone through super school - Did any of you do it alone? In other words, it doesn't look like I'll have any track side support.
    Find a friend or guy from another school driver to help you out. You will need it.

Liked
    35 times

Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    I've been twice; 2003 with crew & 2010 alone. I would suggest having at least one person to help out with changing tires, gassing up, checking oil....you will be exhausted by the end of the weekend just from driving. If you can make sure your car is ready to go the weekend before, have all spares and tools packed, take plenty of water, and get sleep if you're not too excited. Hopefully you get Scotty, if he's still doing it, as your instructor because he has a lot of experience and every other word that comes out of his mouth is f**ken Most important have fun

Liked
    1477 times

I wouldn't do it without help.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

I did it myself. Easy.

1) no one wins school so relax. No need to tire yourself out. It is a long day.
    2) have a racecar that is streetcar reliable and "sorted". This is not the time to test your new fixed seat position or putting just enough gas for a session.
    3) have access to gas or extra fueled gas cans. have tires and brakes that will last the whole day. Swapping tires to optimize rubber is just dumb for school.
    4) start with full tank. You fill up at lunch and you are empty by the end of the day. I did this in a thirsty T1 vette getting 2 laps per gallon at WSIR so no problem with 90% of cars on stock fuel tanks.
    5) adjust air pressure before you start in morning then before the 2nd session. That's when you have the biggest pressure swings. The rest of the day will be fine since no one wins school.
    6) At lunch check lugnuts do your tech inspection in prep for the afternoon. gas up and air down.
    7) have a tire option if it rains or just run treaded DOT racetires like Ra1's or R888's that work dry or wet. It is extremely unlikely it will be wet enough for a real rain tire. There is nothing wrong with street tires for school like an NT-05.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    94 times

+1, except in the off chance that something does happens to your car, it is nice to have someone there to help out and also to pack up at the end of each day.

Liked
    35 times

Thanks for the info guys. I'll likely be attending in an SM prepped miata on RA1's. I'll try to recruit a buddy to ditch work and help me out.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by suki101 View Post
    Hopefully you get Scotty, if he's still doing it, as your instructor because he has a lot of experience and every other word that comes out of his mouth is f**ken
    I had Scotty at the 2011 Super School, never heard anyone use the F-word like him!!

Liked
    1477 times

I ran the SCCA CalClub Super School in Feb. 2008, when they used to run it at Streets of Willow while CalClub was racing at Big Willow. Now they run it at Buttonwillow, because SCCA owns that track.

I had trackside support, and I am so glad I did. I had just finished building my SM/PTE/ITA Miata (I didn't build it, my mechanic did--I just paid for it). After the classroom sessions, my Miata basically broke during the first parade laps session of the Super School. My trackside support/mechanic had brought an Mazda 1st gen RX-7 as a backup car, just in case. So I drove that car. I hated it. The tires were at least 5 years old and felt like driving on glass. So my mechanic drove back to Buttonwillow to bring his race car back to Willow Springs, so I could drive it for the rest of the Super School. I pretty much broke his gearbox during all the Super School training, and Oli was kind enough to let me run his C5 Z06 race car during one of the last sessions on Sunday. I finished the Super School, got my SCCA (and NASA) racing licenses, and am very glad I didn't do the Super School by myself, because if I had, I would have gone home empty handed.

Just sayin' . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 12-25-2013 at 09:06 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

That's funny Richard. I can guess the mechanic...
    jimt and bawareca like this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I can guess the mechanic...
    You think so........ ?

Liked
    1477 times

Dudes . . . I'm sure you can guess my mechanic from 5 years ago.

Merry Christmas !!!

I'm busy listening to old Lou Reed records tonight. His loss a couple of months ago hit me really hard . . .
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    448 times

So if you attend (and graduate), exactly what piece of paper do you end up with?

Liked
    299 times

i know you don't win super school, but but are there trophies involved? Surely, they must crown a super school champion. trollolol This sounds tempting actually.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    So if you attend (and graduate), exactly what piece of paper do you end up with?
    You get a provisional "novice" race license if you graduate. I am sure everyone on this forum would graduate successfully if there car stays running the whole times.

Cal Club even throws in your first official race on Sunday after the Friday-Saturday school.

There are no trophies, but you do finish off Saturday with two very short sprint races that are a lot of fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast