+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Save the Manuals . . .

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ I'd like to see how fast Billy could drive Jack's car around WSIR big track.

I'd also like to see Jack freaking out as Billy runs his laps . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    29 times

I prefer the manual. Part of driving for me is skill in using all the controls smoothly, quickly and accurately. Heel/toe shifting is a lot of fun and part of the total experience of tracking a car and a pretty significant part.

I can see that technology advances and that paddle shifters and millisecond shifts are faster. For a pro competing against other pros for money and career technology marches on but if you are not making money at it then the more control the driver has over the car instead of the car controlling its self is a lot more satisfying.

If the car has so much power to weight and performance that it's not possible to down shift fast enough to get through the gears before the turn like F1 and other top end cars then it makes perfect sense.
    The brakes are unbelievable and the braking zone is tiny.
    This is why these transmissions were created they literally cannot make the shifts anywhere even close for the cars performance without them. Just imagine trying to heel toe a shifter kart fast enough braking down from 90mph with a tiny brake zone. Forget about it.

For me it's hard to take any pride and it's not nearly as fun when you do a great laptime in a car with all wheel dive, paddle shifters and traction control that will not allow you to f**k up unless you are unbelievably out of wack.
    Not to mention that you can drive a car like that and make terrible habits and learn very little.
    Richard EVO and Loose Caboose like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4