+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Save the Manuals . . .

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I think i'm getting lazy, enjoying paddle-shift racecars and dual-clutch transmissions in modern street cars. You can't stop evolution. At the end of the day you can always buy older cars, 996-7 GT3s, Cobra or Caterham replica, or 1960's air cooled Porsches. Or just find a Model-T.
    And this comes from the guy that shifted away on the "cousin" to Richard's "The Price is Right" S2000. Both the smooth inputs and the speedometer show up nicely.

Buttonwillow #13CW Open Test Day (1/17/09) - Driver Billy Johnson on Vimeo

Kinda makes me want to crawl in a hole and wait for 2020: Nissan: We'll have a self-driving car on roads in 2020 - CNN.com

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post

Kinda makes me want to crawl in a hole and wait for 2020: Nissan: We'll have a self-driving car on roads in 2020 - CNN.com

Nissan already has that. It is called the GT-R.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Carlos Ghosn is a crackpot . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    258 times

Fully autonomous is going to be society changing, honestly looking forward to that,,,

BID
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    2282 times

comes 2015, Richard will be posting "save the DSG" !!!!

because by 2015, everybody will be driving (if autonomous cars haven't yet taken over) an EV. just 1 gear !!!! no rev matching, no upshift, no downshift, no clutch, no automatic, no exhaust sound, no intake noise, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks !!!
    ucfbrett likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    31 times

1 gear = CVT...they are so smooth, and smooth is fast right?!
    01 Miata LS - VF Supercharged/6MT with 4.3 Torsen/15x9 6UL/XIDA-S/Sways/Bushings/GTC200 - Buttonwillow 13CW - 2:04.56
    09 WRX - 518whp on Rotated GTX3076R/17x9 DPT/RCE Tarmac 2/Sways/Bushings

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    because by 2015, everybody will be driving (if autonomous cars haven't yet taken over) an EV. just 1 gear !!!! no rev matching, no upshift, no downshift, no clutch, no automatic, no exhaust sound, no intake noise, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks !!!
    Not me for sure.But I advice everyone to get an EV,there will be more gas left for me and the likes
    On the other note,I bet the so-called autonomous cars are ready to be released any day now,a few manufacturers have the technology almost 100%.There are 2 very important conditions that will keep this from happening,probably for a long time.A proper car-by-car communication protocol standart adopted by all manufacturers and a proper laws defining the autonomous cars.Insurance companies may never approve them,because at one point auto insurance may become obsolete.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    421 times

The biggest obstacle for autonomous vehicles is not technology. It is how to incorporate and transition successfully to a road system not controlled by humans. Maybe start with a single lane on the freeway like a carpool lane or maybe a small congested area locked out to only autonomous vehicles. Could alleviate a lot of parking problems too and will dramatically reduce accidents. Standards and laws will be tricky to define but all vehicles will have to be compatible with each other which could easily lead to a monopoly. I'm sure Musk is trying to get all over this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    1477 times

I could not handle being a passenger in an autonomous car. I need more control. Also, how does it work with traffic lights? Do the cars recognize the red, yellow and green lights? Do they recognize Stop signs? How do they deal with it if there's a power failure and the traffic lights are not working? How do they decide what route to take -- GPS navigation directions? How do they decide where to park when you get to your destination? Is it possible for the person in what used to be called the "driver's seat" to take manual control? Can they be programmed to re-park themselves at night without anyone in them, on those streets that have no parking restrictions for street cleaning one day a week? What happens when you go to a restaurant that has valet parking? What happens when an old timer with a gas powered, humanly driven one crashes into an autonomous car? My questions are endless . . .
    Olitho likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I could not handle being a passenger in an autonomous car. I need more control. Also, how does it work with traffic lights? Do the cars recognize the red, yellow and green lights? Do they recognize Stop signs? How do they deal with it if there's a power failure and the traffic lights are not working? How do they decide what route to take -- GPS navigation directions? How do they decide where to park when you get to your destination? Is it possible for the person in what used to be called the "driver's seat" to take manual control? Can they be programmed to re-park themselves at night without anyone in them, on those streets that have no parking restrictions for street cleaning one day a week? What happens when you go to a restaurant that has valet parking? What happens when an old timer with a gas powered, humanly driven one crashes into an autonomous car? My questions are endless . . .

The good news for you Mr. Sheriff is there is a ton of new case history to be made here. I expect to see a few landmark The Sheriff vs. "_______" cases being referenced in the future.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    The good news for you Mr. Sheriff is there is a ton of new case history to be made here. I expect to see a few landmark The Sheriff vs. "_______" cases being referenced in the future.
    The Sheriff v. Autonomous Car Driven by Carlos Ghosn's French/Japanese Electronic Brain. Great. I'd rather have French/Japanese food . . .

Liked
    2282 times

That's a great thinking. Never cross my mind that autonomous car can be a chauffeur car. Drop you off at a restaurant. Go find a parking space. To pick up kids at school, drop them off at a movie. Whe you have a few beer and get drunk. Pick you up, take you home and go back to pick up kids !!

Parents job these day are driving kids around. Autonomous car would save 5 hours a day easy

Sign me up !!

Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    854 times

The Sheriff v. Autonomous Car Driven by Carlos Ghosn's French/Japanese Electronic Brain. Great. I'd rather have French/Japanese food . . .
    . . . which is probably better than cabbage rolls and borscht:

french japanese fusion restaurants - Bing Images
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 08-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Liked
    258 times

Reconnoitering the environment (lights/signs/weather/construction/meat operated vehicles) is not the problem,,,, self-parking done (see Audi).… all of the “don’t crash the car” part is relatively simple… (anyone got a rumba?) Parking rules will need to be “posted” on the web(most already are).

Of course you have to include a manual override… at least for now, and it will be a while before they can not have a "driver" in them....

Fear of change is the primary delaying obstacle… but this will happen, and it will change everything.

BID
    Last edited by bikeindirt; 08-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Liked
    258 times

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you have a few beer and get drunk. Pick you up, take you home
    You have hit the nail on the head! There is finally a good reason for an autonomous car . . .

Liked
    1477 times

I just can't shake the feeling that the autonomous car is a solution in search of a problem . . .

Liked
    421 times

think about as taking the stupid out of everyone on the freeway
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    think about as taking the stupid out of everyone on the freeway
    The problem with that is the people who drive like jerks won't buy an autonomous car because they want to protect their imagined right to drive like jerks . . .

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    all of the “don’t crash the car” part is relatively simple… (anyone got a rumba?)
    Yes, and its "system" (when it's not getting stuck under the coffee table or bookcase) is to blindly ram into everything, at which point it determines there is an obstacle and attempts a slightly different direction. A future of bumper cars is amusing but hopefully not where we will end up
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast